Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 9:28:32 AM EDT
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/march/16/trump-proposes-atc-privatization?utm_source=ePilot&utm_medium=Content&utm_content=tts&utm_campaign=170316epilot

The White House proposed privatizing air traffic control in a budget outline released March 16. The plan would “shift the air traffic control function of the Federal Aviation Administration to an independent, non-government organization.”

Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), ranking Member of the Senate Commerce Committee, said the proposal is “going nowhere in the Senate.”

“AOPA will review the details of the president’s proposal when they are made available," said AOPA President Mark Baker, "and we will continue to oppose efforts to impose user fees on any segment of general aviation."

The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee passed legislation last year that would have privatized air traffic control and imposed user fees on Part 135 charter operations based outside Alaska and Hawaii. The proposal was supported by some major airlines and the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, but it failed to make it to the House floor amid strong bipartisan criticism.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Not only no, but fuck no.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Ost.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this where you end up getting charged for IFR approaches so you end up with more VFR in IMC incidents?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Robert Crandall is that you?
"Why make 100 passengers wait for a plane holding 2 passengers?"
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It would be an adventure.

One of my biggest concerns would be the impact on GA. We are unique in how much GA is in the system, and uses the system along side commercial.

I'd like to keep it that way
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would be an adventure.

One of my biggest concerns would be the impact on GA. We are unique in how much GA is in the system, and uses the system along side commercial.

I'd like to keep it that way
View Quote
The effect on GA under Schumer's bill would be a disaster. If the airlines are given any authority or a for profit model is used in privatization, it will be the death of GA. And I have a feeling it's going to happen. Especially after hearing what Paul said yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The effect on GA under Schumer's bill would be a disaster. If the airlines are given any authority or a for profit model is used in privatization, it will be the death of GA. And I have a feeling it's going to happen. Especially after hearing what Paul said yesterday.
View Quote
Agreed. I get where Paul is coming from as far as stable funding for adequate staffing and improvements in a reasonable time frame but I don't like the consequences of letting the Airline executives run over the rest of the system
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Gonna be honest, I though air traffic controllers were already private employees of the airports.  Now someone is probably going to tell me airports aren't private and I'm going to feel even dumber :(
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gonna be honest, I though air traffic controllers were already private employees of the airports.  Now someone is probably going to tell me airports aren't private and I'm going to feel even dumber :(
View Quote
Some tower crews are. Mine ksua is and has been for some 50 years.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
KSUA is a Federal Contract Tower I believe. If that's the future be very worried.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
KSUA is a Federal Contract Tower I believe. If that's the future be very worried.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is, was a Grumman crew. All ex military.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is, was a Grumman crew. All ex military.
View Quote
A lot of guys and gals go FCT/DOD contract while waiting to get to the FAA. It's a different world.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:03:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A lot of guys and gals go FCT/DOD contract while waiting to get to the FAA. It's a different world.
View Quote
The tower here is like that, the one in Bethel is too. My girlfriend's uncle got Bethel as his first civilian controlling job out of the AF and later got on with the FAA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The tower here is like that, the one in Bethel is too. My girlfriend's uncle got Bethel as his first civilian controlling job out of the AF and later got on with the FAA.
View Quote
I've got a few friends that worked at Bethel. There's a high turnover rate as people leave for the FAA. I know three guys that were up there within 3 years of each other and none overlapped
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've got a few friends that worked at Bethel. There's a high turnover rate as people leave for the FAA. I know three guys that were up there within 3 years of each other and none overlapped
View Quote
The town suuuuuuuuuuuucks
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My old chief pilot always said, "if the state of Alaska ever needed an enema, Bethel is where they'd stick the hose."
Mind you, we lived in Barrow when he said that. How's that for perspective.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:38:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My old chief pilot always said, "if the state of Alaska ever needed an enema, Bethel is where they'd stick the hose."
Mind you, we lived in Barrow when he said that. How's that for perspective.
View Quote
Stepping over passed out natives at 10AM to get into the store is fun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm all for smaller government, but national defense and infrastructure ARE where they should remain imho.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm all for smaller government, but national defense and infrastructure ARE where they should remain imho.
View Quote
Agreed.  THere are a lot of areas where I think things handled by government employees could be contracted out or done away with entirely, but traffic control and enforcement isn't one of them.  I wouldn't farm out the State Patrol or control of traffic lights to a private corporation; we shouldn't hand over air traffic control either.

If there's a funding problem, fix it through changing the fuel tax.  It scales nicely with the demands placed on the system by type of aircraft and amount of ATC used--big plane, long flight, lots of ATC.  Medium plane or bizjet, still maybe a lot of ATC but less disruptive.  Piston single, no ATC impact at all.  Saying we need to privatize because of funding issues would be like saying we need to do my earlier analogy because the interstates need rehabilitation.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#21]
House chairman pushes privatizing air traffic control in US

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/17/house-chairman-pushes-privatizing-air-traffic-control-in-us.html

"WASHINGTON –  A House Republican committee chairman called on lawmakers Wednesday to turn the nation's air traffic control operations over to a new, non-profit corporation, saying no other infrastructure change has as much potential to improve travel for the average American flyer.

President Donald Trump has also called for privatizing air traffic control operations, suggesting placing them under an "independent, non-governmental organization" to make the system more efficient while maintaining safety.

Pennsylvania Rep. Bill Shuster, chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, told colleagues his top priority this year is to overhaul the Federal Aviation Administration along those lines. He said the effort he'll pursue will fund the new corporation through fees assessed for air traffic services and will free the operations from government dysfunction and the uncertainty of the annual appropriations process."
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
House chairman pushes privatizing air traffic control in US

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/17/house-chairman-pushes-privatizing-air-traffic-control-in-us.html

"WASHINGTON –  A House Republican committee chairman called on lawmakers Wednesday to turn the nation's air traffic control operations over to a new, non-profit corporation, saying no other infrastructure change has as much potential to improve travel for the average American flyer.

President Donald Trump has also called for privatizing air traffic control operations, suggesting placing them under an "independent, non-governmental organization" to make the system more efficient while maintaining safety.

Pennsylvania Rep. Bill Shuster, chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, told colleagues his top priority this year is to overhaul the Federal Aviation Administration along those lines. He said the effort he'll pursue will fund the new corporation through fees assessed for air traffic services and will free the operations from government dysfunction and the uncertainty of the annual appropriations process."
View Quote
We have a very unique system that allows for GA aviation to even have a chance. I want to see what his bill has for user fees. the ADS-B mandate is a bitch already I (we) don't want to see the further decline of GA
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess I'll be a chorus of one, in that while I think there will be an impact on GA, the idea that GA represents some national asset to be preserved is long dead. Stupid, but that's our government/military in charge of aviation matters, IMO.

If there is a cheaper way to provide a government service, then we should pursue that.

My own Rip Van Winkle experience in professional aviation gives me some perspective on changes in the industry from the late 1990s to present. One of things is frankly a noticeably lower level of ATC professionalism (despite the fact that the ATC is still quite good.) Can a privatized service potential gain and maintain better controllers? That's a good question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top