Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesus
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish I didn't watch that
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea that is a tough watch. Tail rotors are so amazingly fragile yet do so much work....
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
wow

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Sad.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the main rotors flew apart as well.  Yikes.

Wonder why they were even using a helo for a body recovery... they already knew she was dead.  Or they could have at least humped the body out on a stretcher to an LZ well clear of the wires.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wonder why they were even using a helo for a body recovery... they already knew she was dead.  Or they could have at least humped the body out on a stretcher to an LZ well clear of the wires.
View Quote

Or the pilot could have simply avoided the wires. Situational awareness is very important
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
That was horrible and preventable
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Main rotors came apart when they hit the tailboom.

Did it actually hit the wire? Didn't look like it to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]
That's about the last thing I wanna see, as a pilot

Even moreso than fling-wing, I don't wanna see heliflopter crashes- my son just recently was rated in them. He's been a fling-wing fan since he was 4 years old and all I've done is encourage it.

I pray to every god available that my boy NEVER suffers elevator loss (Yep; been there) or roll control loss (asymmetric ailerons- been there, too ).

There's a whole 'nother thread on pitch link loss in helos ( google it yerself)- I devoutly hope he won't have to prove it survivable.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
looks like it hit one of the shield wires at 0:27 - maybe the main rotor hit the transmission lines on the way down, can't tell
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Tail rotor clipped the guard wire then the main rotor hit the tail boom on the way down.

Man....that was sad to see.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Of interest is that the wire doesn't visibly move.  High tension lines are many inches in diameter and weigh 10-15lb/foot.  If that span was 500 ft between towers then the wire weighs 5000+lb, more than the helicopter.  

there's many videos of military helicopters hitting wires in cruise flight around 100kts and the 10-20k lb helicopter makes the wires just sway gently from the impact.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Didnt look like the rear prop struck anything to me? im on a cell phone so maybe I do t see a small line? To me it looked like the rear prop just, came off? Causing the pilot to lose control and then struck a line with the main rotor and fall/crash?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Didnt look like the rear prop struck anything to me? im on a cell phone so maybe I do t see a small line? To me it looked like the rear prop just, came off? Causing the pilot to lose control and then struck a line with the main rotor and fall/crash?
View Quote
All the watermarks on the video make it hard to see much,but it definitely ran the rear rotor down a line.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Better photos can be found half way through this video. There's no question as to what happened here. While sad, this accident was 100% avoidable!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't see it hit, either.   It looked like the tail rotor departed on its own.

Saw it hit. Wires suck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Oh chit
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tail rotor seemed to have slowed down before it got near the lines. Hard to tell though with a digital video.

Upon re-watch it was slow in the beginning of the video. Digital video sync.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tail rotor seemed to have slowed down before it got near the lines. Hard to tell though with a digital video.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard to see, but you can actually see the wire move.  This frame shows it.  If you look close, it looks like two wires in places.  I think that's because the video was interlaced, and that's how far the wire moved in one scan.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#22]
EVERY helo pilot needs to go through Flying in the Wire Environment training with Bob Feerst. Most eye opening training I have ever been through.

The pilot hit the static wire between long spans across that valley. Static wires are extremely hard to see and in some circumstances the structures can be thousands of feet apart, the phase lines sag under load while the static wire remains suspending several hundred feet above, invisible. You have to read the hardware, always! As a helo pilot, every 4th thought going through your brain needs to be "where's the wire?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top