Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What would you do if you were flying along, got distracted and accidentally flew into a cloud?

This was the final question the DPE asked me on my private pilot checkride, and the exact wording. As it's a little vague and there are many things you should do in this situation but I'll narrow it down.

How would you get out of the cloud?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Funny you should mention that.
Where I learned, the airport owner WAS the FAA guy, he was a big guy and any time we flew together in the 152 with full tanks, we were overweight. He let it slide.
View Quote

It wasn't Bob McSwiggan at 4A7, was it?  

Let's see... some questions from my oral exam way back when...

What color is the brake fluid?

What type of engine does the airplane have and how much power does it put out?

You're flying out to an island offshore, over the horizon.  You get out to the distance you think you're supposed to be, and don't see the island.  Which way do you turn?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The correct answer is that the aircraft manufacturer has determined that at the given weight and speed, the wing will exceed critical angle of attack, and the aircraft will stall if a maneuver is attempted that would exceed the rated G limit of the aircraft.  Remember that as speed decreases, or weight increases, wing AOA must increase to provide sufficient lift.  At or below maneuvering speed, the AOA will exceed critical, and an accelerated stall will occur before the G limit is exceeded.  With a lighter load in the aircraft, AOA is reduced across the entire range of speed.  Therefore, it takes less speed to exceed critical.  That's why maneuvering speed is slower with less weight.

Maneuvering speed isn't just for maneuvering.  If you find yourself in heavy turbulence, slow down.
View Quote

Interesting, so I had it backwards.  I though Va was higher the lighter you are.  That explanation makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What equipment is required to overfly class C airspace?
View Quote

Not enough information.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The engine won't necessarily run rough with ice.  Ice in the carb has pretty much the same effect as reducing throttle by reducing air flow.   RPM's will drop.  It will become rough when you turn on the heat and the ice melts.  Why does the mixture become lean?
View Quote

It becomes lean because you are increasing the quantity of air.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll give you two of the favorite questions asked by an examiner I used to take my students to. These questions were always asked as the examiner observed the student's walk-around inspection. I always thought they were good for revealing the depth of a student's understanding of what flying was all about. First one:

"What do you use to turn the aircraft inflight?"
View Quote

The elevator.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A hypothetical question - In your Cessna, if you suddenly lost the effect of your horizontal stabilizer in level flight, what would the nose of the plane immediately do, and why?
View Quote

Total guess.  The plane would nose up because you lost the lift from the stabilizer that helps maintain longitudinal stability.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm at a total loss here.  I didn't think FI could ice.  And I don't think my plane has 'alternate' air.  I have an alternate static source.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What would you do if you were flying along, got distracted and accidentally flew into a cloud?

This was the final question the DPE asked me on my private pilot checkride, and the exact wording. As it's a little vague and there are many things you should do in this situation but I'll narrow it down.

How would you get out of the cloud?
View Quote

Level the wings, note my heading, hold altitude while turning 180 degrees.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The elevator.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll give you two of the favorite questions asked by an examiner I used to take my students to. These questions were always asked as the examiner observed the student's walk-around inspection. I always thought they were good for revealing the depth of a student's understanding of what flying was all about. First one:

"What do you use to turn the aircraft inflight?"

The elevator.

The answer they're looking for us "the horizontal component of lift". Doesn't matter what flight control you use, the horizontal component of lift is what turns it. This leads directly into the second question.

"Then what is the rudder for?"
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It wasn't Bob McSwiggan at 4A7, was it?  

I actually have no idea.  If I had to guess, I'd say it's like automotive and straw colored

What type of engine does the airplane have and how much power does it put out?

4 cylinder, fuel injected, naturally aspirated, direct drive.  160hp or 180hp depending on which plane I'm flying.

You're flying out to an island offshore, over the horizon.  You get out to the distance you think you're supposed to be, and don't see the island.  Which way do you turn?

I would circle and climb, with the idea that I should be able to spot the island from a higher altitude.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The answer they're looking for us "the horizontal component of lift". Doesn't matter what flight control you use, the horizontal component of lift is what turns it. This leads directly into the second question.

View Quote

Makes sense.

The rudder is for controlling yaw.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Since you're still studying 

how lomg is a 3rd class medical good for?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The engine won't necessarily run rough with ice.  Ice in the carb has pretty much the same effect as reducing throttle by reducing air flow.   RPM's will drop.  It will become rough when you turn on the heat and the ice melts.  Why does the mixture become lean?

The mixture becomes rich, because the warm air is less dense.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Total guess.  The plane would nose up because you lost the lift from the stabilizer that helps maintain longitudinal stability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A hypothetical question - In your Cessna, if you suddenly lost the effect of your horizontal stabilizer in level flight, what would the nose of the plane immediately do, and why?

Ah, but here's the thing - the lift from the horizontal stabilizer hold the tail down, not up.  The center of gravity is in front of the center of lift.  The nose would go down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The mixture becomes rich, because the warm air is less dense.
View Quote

OK, that makes sense.  Never flown a carbureted plane.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ah, but here's the thing - the lift from the horizontal stabilizer hold the tail down, not up.  The center of gravity is in front of the center of lift.  The nose would go down.
View Quote

Interesting.  I was basing my answer on videos I recall seeing of airplane losing the tail and it seems like they always nosed up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense.

Yes. An elegant way of saying it is "to counter act the adverse yaw of the down aileron." That was the answer the examiner was looking for but it always seemed incomplete to me as it made no mention of intentional cross-control maneuvers. So I always had the students mention that exception to everyday, coordinated flight and it seemed to make the examiners happy. In defense of what the examiner was probably thinking I'll mention that when the question of the rudder came up it was always immediately after the "what turns an aircraft" question and was thus in the context of turns. Cross control maneuvers are not turning maneuvers.

And on that note, make sure you're able to explain the difference between a slip and a skid and be able to recite and explain the 4 left turning tendencies of North American propeller driven aircraft.

You're gonna have a great ride. Report back after its over.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I was basing my answer on videos I recall seeing of airplane losing the tail and it seems like they always nosed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're correct about that part. The airplane will rotate around it's horizontal axis with the nose going up. In conventional aircraft the horizontal stabilizer generates negative lift to hold the nose of the aircraft down. Think of it as an upside down wing.

Just ignore me. I'm no longer competent to instruct let alone actually fly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're correct about that part. The airplane will rotate around it's horizontal axis with the nose going up. In conventional aircraft the horizontal stabilizer generates negative lift to hold the nose of the aircraft down. Think of it as an upside down wing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261993/930-13-152264.JPG
View Quote

OK, but SKE said the nose would go down.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'm going to die, so....  
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes. An elegant way of saying it is "to counter act the adverse yaw of the down aileron." That was the answer the examiner was looking for but it always seemed incomplete to me as it made no mention of intentional cross-control maneuvers. So I always had the students mention that exception to everyday, coordinated flight and it seemed to make the examiners happy. In defense of what the examiner was probably thinking I'll mention that when the question of the rudder came up it was always immediately after the "what turns an aircraft" question and was thus in the context of turns. Cross control maneuvers are not turning maneuvers.

And on that note, make sure you're able to explain the difference between a slip and a skid and be able to recite and explain the 4 left turning tendencies of North American propeller driven aircraft.

You're gonna have a great ride. Report back after its over.
View Quote

Slip, tail is inside the turn.  Skid, tail is outside the turn.  That's the simplest explanation I can think of.  

Torque.  P-Factor.  Gyroscopic precession.  Spiraling slipstream.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Well.  CRAP.

I just got a text from my CFI that says "I just got some pretty negative feedback about "DPE", we'll want to talk about it tomorrow afternoon."

I wonder what the heck.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's counter-intuitive, but makes sense when you think about it..  That's why a canard based design is more efficient.  You don't have a wing pushing down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's turned around.  Negative lift holds the taildown, which holds the nose up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, you're right. I'm all turned around. Nose would go down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:13:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep, you're right. I'm all turned around. Nose would go down.
View Quote

Like I said, counter-intuitive.  The important point was that the stab generates negative lift.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OK, that makes sense.  Never flown a carbureted plane.
View Quote

Then you fly an injected engine, susceptible to induction icing. Read the POH under "Icing" and yes, you can encounter induction icing in AZ.

Come to think of it, what are the conditions necessary to cause carb or induction icing?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Then you fly an injected engine, susceptible to induction icing. Read the POH under "Icing" and yes, you can encounter induction icing in AZ.

Come to think of it, what are the conditions necessary to cause carb or induction icing?
View Quote

I've read every page of the POH and I can't find any reference whatsoever to induction icing.

Carb icing can occur at essentially any time in any phase of flight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've read every page of the POH and I can't find any reference whatsoever to induction icing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From page 3-9 of my 172S manual:

4. Watch for signs of engine-related icing conditions. An unexplained loss in engine speed could be caused by ice blocking the air intake filter, or, in extremely rare instances, ice completely blocking the fuel injection air reference tubes.<This is Induction Icing>Change the throttle position to obtain maximum RPM. This may require either advancing or retarding the throttle, dependent on where ice has accumulated in the system

While it is true that icing (carb or induction) can occur during any phase of flight, certain conditions have to exist for it to happen at all.
Those conditions are typically humid air and OAT typically above freezing.
The drop in air temperature that causes the icing to occur (in carbs) happens at the venturi.

Keep in mind that just because you don't currently fly behind a carbureted engine doesn't mean that someday you won't.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well.  CRAP.

I just got a text from my CFI that says "I just got some pretty negative feedback about "DPE", we'll want to talk about it tomorrow afternoon."

I wonder what the heck.....
View Quote

Yes, quoting myself.  So, this DPE has never been used by the school before.  DPE's are in SHORT supply around here.  First student had his checkride earlier this week.  Oral portion usually lasts about 2 hours.  His went 5.5 hrs.  

Then they got out to the plane.  DPE sits down and says "Tell me why we can't fly this plane."  Long story short, after about an hour of searching through the POH, student finally discovered it was because it was missing a placard about being certified for VFR flight.  

That and he charges $700.  Student did pass.

So, now it's up to me.  Do I go into knowing he's considerably more expensive than other DPE's.  That he's apparently a hardass.  That he notices EVERYTHING.

My thought process right now is yes.  If I pass, I'm done.  If I fail, it's another month or more out.  If I decline to ride with the guy, it's still another month or more out.  And that much money will be spent on keeping sharp anyway.  I'm going to try to talk to the guy who did the checkride with him before I make my final decision.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, here's a question for you guys that I saw elsewhere.  

You're flying from a field that has an elevation of 1509'.  You're flying a Cessna 172S 180hp.  Full fuel.  You are the only passenger.  You just want to do some pattern work, you don't plan on leaving the airport general area.  Runway is 8249'.  You are current and proficient in all required areas for the flight.  

You get the following METAR before departure.

KSDL 240253Z 26006KT 10SM CLR 13/M06 A3101 RMK AO2 SLP149 T01281061 53009

Would you fly?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ok, here's a question for you guys that I saw elsewhere.  

You're flying from a field that has an elevation of 1509'.  You're flying a Cessna 172S 180hp.  Full fuel.  You are the only passenger.  You just want to do some pattern work, you don't plan on leaving the airport general area.  Runway is 8249'.  You are current and proficient in all required areas for the flight.  

You get the following METAR before departure.

KSDL 240253Z 26006KT 10SM CLR 13/M06 A3101 RMK AO2 SLP149 T01281061 53009

Would you fly?
View Quote

Alright, I'll show my ass. If there's a reason not to then it's beyond me but I'll admit I'm not familiar with Scottsdale airport. It's kind of late in the evening for the report (1953 local) but you've got a couple hours before generating noise complaints at 10pm. Not too windy. Not hot. Not a high field elevation. Lots of runway available. Good temp/dew point spread. I'd get a wxbrief to familiarize myself with the TAF and any applicable NOTAMs and run a weight and balance for good practice. If there's no surprises then sure, crack a beer and go fly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Alright, I'll show my ass. If there's a reason not to then it's beyond me but I'll admit I'm not familiar with Scottsdale airport. It's kind of late in the evening for the report (1953 local) but you've got a couple hours before generating noise complaints at 10pm. Not too windy. Not hot. Not a high field elevation. Lots of runway available. Good temp/dew point spread. I'd get a wxbrief to familiarize myself with the TAF and any applicable NOTAMs and run a weight and balance for good practice. If there's no surprises then sure, crack a beer and go fly.
View Quote

It's apparently very little known...  To fly with that METAR is a violation of the FAR.

§ 91.144 Temporary restriction on flight operations during abnormally high barometric pressure conditions.
(a)Special flight restrictions. When any information indicates that barometric pressure on the route of flight currently exceeds or will exceed 31 inches of mercury, no person may operate an aircraft or initiate a flight contrary to the requirements established by the Administrator and published in a Notice to Airmen issued under this section.

(b)Waivers. The Administrator is authorized to waive any restriction issued under paragraph (a) of this section to permit emergency supply, transport, or medical services to be delivered to isolated communities, where the operation can be conducted with an acceptable level of safety.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's apparently very little known...  To fly with that METAR is a violation of the FAR.

§ 91.144 Temporary restriction on flight operations during abnormally high barometric pressure conditions.
(a)Special flight restrictions. When any information indicates that barometric pressure on the route of flight currently exceeds or will exceed 31 inches of mercury, no person may operate an aircraft or initiate a flight contrary to the requirements established by the Administrator and published in a Notice to Airmen issued under this section.

(b)Waivers. The Administrator is authorized to waive any restriction issued under paragraph (a) of this section to permit emergency supply, transport, or medical services to be delivered to isolated communities, where the operation can be conducted with an acceptable level of safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: I didn't even look at the pressure, but I would not have missed my barometer being pegged.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh Jesus. Yeah, I didn't even look to see if the pressure was too high. That's one of those things that'll never happen in real life. If you can't set pressure in the kollsman window you don't fly. It didn't even occur to me the pressure might be too high because you almost never see those kinds of pressure.

Oddly enough, I've actually been prevented from flying for this very reason twice but both times were in Barrow, AK. I've never seen such wacky pressures in the lower 48.

When I hear a question like that I always assume it's testing the limits of your knowledge on the "remarks" portion of the metar, or some kind of local knowledge regarding noise abatement or something similar. Never guessed it'd be the rare altimeter setting.

That was pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, quoting myself.  So, this DPE has never been used by the school before.  DPE's are in SHORT supply around here.  First student had his checkride earlier this week.  Oral portion usually lasts about 2 hours.  His went 5.5 hrs.  

Then they got out to the plane.  DPE sits down and says "Tell me why we can't fly this plane."  Long story short, after about an hour of searching through the POH, student finally discovered it was because it was missing a placard about being certified for VFR flight.  

That and he charges $700.  Student did pass.

So, now it's up to me.  Do I go into knowing he's considerably more expensive than other DPE's.  That he's apparently a hardass.  That he notices EVERYTHING.

My thought process right now is yes.  If I pass, I'm done.  If I fail, it's another month or more out.  If I decline to ride with the guy, it's still another month or more out.  And that much money will be spent on keeping sharp anyway.  I'm going to try to talk to the guy who did the checkride with him before I make my final decision.
View Quote

I've taken a few checkrides in Scottsdale, there's only one person that fits the description you are talking about. Adam Silva. Message me and I'll give you some insight.

Also, from one of the earlier questions, W in ARROW isn't W&B calculation, it's that you have the W&B data in your plane (usually found stuffed in the POH somewhere), the sheet that has empty weight (plus untrainable oil and unusable fuel) and moment. There is no requirement to actually have your calculation onboard the aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've taken a few checkrides in Scottsdale, there's only one person that fits the description you are talking about. Adam Silva. Message me and I'll give you some insight.

Also, from one of the earlier questions, W in ARROW isn't W&B calculation, it's that you have the W&B data in your plane (usually found stuffed in the POH somewhere), the sheet that has empty weight (plus untrainable oil and unusable fuel) and moment. There is no requirement to actually have your calculation onboard the aircraft.
View Quote

That's not who it is.  On the w&b thing, that's what I meant.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's not who it is.  On the w&b thing, that's what I meant.
View Quote

Cool. Just clarifying.

Here's another few questions. It's :15 minutes past sunset, do you need to be night current to carry passengers?

At what time are you able to get night current?

Let's say your anti-collision light(s) are INOP for daytime flight. Your plane was manufactured in 1984, can you fly? Your plane was manufactured in 2006, can you fly?

Same question as above but now it's night, and your plane was manufactured in 1984, can you fly? Your plane was manufactured in 1966, can you fly?

If you can fly for any of the above, what do we need to do to still be airworthy with the INOP equipment?

What's a MEL?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#39]
We've had a few over the past year. I have years of METAR/TAF data saved (database size is 77GB).

"KQKG 260455Z AUTO 28001KT 4SM BR CLR 17/14 A3157 RMK AO2 SLP660 WND DATA ESTMD T01650143 $"
"KQD3 300756Z 03011G16KT 9999 FEW024 BKN033 33/21 A3128 RMK AO2A PRESRR SLP591 T03250213"
"KQKG 260355Z AUTO 27002KT 3SM BR CLR 16/14 A3121 RMK AO2 SLP532 WND DATA ESTMD T01620142 $"
"KCOQ 071215Z AUTO 00000KT 10SM BKN120 16/14 A3120 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT S"
"KGDP 082101Z AUTO 26027G38KT 10SM SCT021 BKN028 OVC042 03/M01 A3119 RMK AO2 PK WND 25038/2052 PRESRR T00281011"
"KGDP 082051Z AUTO 23028G38KT 10SM FEW019 BKN033 OVC055 04/M02 A3118 RMK AO2 PK WND 24040/2014 PRESRR SLP566 60002 T00391017 "
"KJLN 261853Z 33010KT 10SM BKN060 BKN080 13/02 A3113"
"KGDP 082027Z AUTO 25029G38KT 10SM SCT020 BKN025 OVC060 03/M01 A3110 RMK AO2 PK WND 24040/2014 PRESRR T00281006 "
"KBCT 221448Z 14006KT 10SM CLR 32/26 A3110"
"KGDP 082126Z AUTO 25025G34KT 10SM FEW017 BKN036 OVC045 02/M02 A3109 RMK AO2 PK WND 25044/2111 PRESFR T00171022"
"KGDP 082246Z AUTO 24023G29KT 10SM BKN024 BKN030 OVC038 02/M02 A3107 RMK AO2 PK WND 26030/2211"
"KGDP 082251Z AUTO 24020G29KT 10SM SCT024 BKN032 BKN039 02/M02 A3106 RMK AO2 PK WND 26030/2211 SLP530 T00221017 "
"KANE 090145Z 18010KT 10SM OVC042 M09/M13 A3106"
"KGDP 082310Z AUTO 25019G26KT 10SM BKN022 BKN037 BKN055 02/M02 A3102 RMK AO2 PK WND 24026/2305 PRESFR T00221017"
"KGDP 082317Z AUTO 24021G27KT 10SM FEW022 BKN045 OVC095 02/M02 A3101 RMK AO2 PK WND 24027/2312 PRESFR T00221022"
"KGDP 082002Z AUTO 24022G38KT 10SM SCT022 BKN030 OVC060 03/00 A3100 RMK AO2 PK WND 25038/1953 PRESRR T00280000 "
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not a cross country as original stated as you were never more than 50nm from your starting field.  And regardless of the order, you did not fly 150nm
View Quote

Wrong.  You are correct in that if you start from KANE it is not cross country time toward a rating.  I asked if was cross country time.  It is cross country time because you landed someplace other than wear you departed.  You are also incorrect about the order not mattering..  If you start from KFCM or KSTC it can be logged as cross-country time toward a rating or certificate.  I didn't ask if it counted as your long cross country; just can it be logged as cross country time.  Don't add or read anything into the examiner's questions.  As the saying goes, answer the question asked.

It's a question that really tests your understanding of the definitions.  Probably more in depth than you will be asked about definitions.  Probably more of a CFI question.  My bad for asking at that level.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wrong.  You are correct in that if you start from KANE it is not cross country time toward a rating.  I asked if was cross country time.  It is cross country time because you landed someplace other than wear you departed.  You are also incorrect about the order not mattering..  If you start from KFCM or KSTC it can be logged as cross-country time toward a rating or certificate.  I didn't ask if it counted as your long cross country; just can it be logged as cross country time.  Don't add or read anything into the examiner's questions.  As the saying goes, answer the question asked.

It's a question that really tests your understanding of the definitions.  Probably more in depth than you will be asked about definitions.  Probably more of a CFI question.  My bad for asking at that level.
View Quote

OK, I see where you're going.  I assumed they all had to be 'long' for your PPL XC and that's the light I looked at it in.  Technically, then, I have a lot more XC time than logged.  I fly to different airports all the time.

For mine, I had to make a positioning flight.  From KSDL to KPAN is 49nm.  From KFFZ to KPAN is 52nm.  So, I had to fly from KSDL to KFFZ.  Then, my XC started.  I flew from KFFZ - KPAN - E25 - KFFZ.  End flight.  Then a new flight from KFFZ to KSDL.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Cool. Just clarifying.

Here's another few questions. It's :15 minutes past sunset, do you need to be night current to carry passengers?

Legally, no.

At what time are you able to get night current?

1 hour after sunset and 1 hour before sunrise

Let's say your anti-collision light(s) are INOP for daytime flight. Your plane was manufactured in 1984, can you fly? Your plane was manufactured in 2006, can you fly?

I remember reading about this, but I'd have to consult the FAR to be positive.  If made in 84, yes I could.  If made in 06, no I could not.

Same question as above but now it's night, and your plane was manufactured in 1984, can you fly? Your plane was manufactured in 1966, can you fly?

I believe anti-collision lights are required at night, regardless of date of manufacture

If you can fly for any of the above, what do we need to do to still be airworthy with the INOP equipment?

I would need to disable it and placard it INOP

What's a MEL?

Minimum Equipment List
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice job man, you are pretty spot on if that's from memory. Check 91.205 but the anti collision lights aren't required at night if manufactured before August 11, 1971. I've never been asked that in depth on 91.205 in any checkrides so far, even commercial. But I figure it's good to know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nice job man, you are pretty spot on if that's from memory. Check 91.205 but the anti collision lights aren't required at night if manufactured before August 11, 1971. I've never been asked that in depth on 91.205 in any checkrides so far, even commercial. But I figure it's good to know.
View Quote

It seems there's varying interpretations here.  I've been researching this and I think allnplanes, regardless of manufacture date, have to have anticollision lights at night.  I don't see anywhere in 91.205 that says they don't have to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:22:07 AM EDT
[#45]
So, it looks like I'm making another XC flight tomorrow.  While my last flight can technically be called a XC, I'm worried about it with the DPE being a major stickler.  I flew KSDL-KFFZ-KPAN-E25-KDVT-KSDL.

So, I logged it that way.  Logging it that way, I was never more than 50nm from my original point of departure.  KSDL-KPAN straight line is 47nm.  I should have logged KSDL-KFFZ as a separate flight.  But I didn't.  So, I can start dicking around in the logbook changing stuff, but that's only going to bring up a rash of questions.  I wanted to fly anyway this weekend, and I only need 2.0 to be SURE my stuff is right.  So, I'm going to fly KSDL-E60 which is 52nm.  Then just loiter in the practice area to make sure I hit 2.0.  

I'll feel better about it, and there won't be any question as to whether the requirements are met.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I actually have no idea.  If I had to guess, I'd say it's like automotive and straw colored
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, it's most likely red. Looks a lot like transmission fluid actually, though maybe a bit thicker.  

I would circle and climb, with the idea that I should be able to spot the island from a higher altitude.

I answered that too.  "Well, what do you do if you still don't see it?"  Crap

Turns out what he was getting at was that you deliberately fly a little offset from the direct course, then when you reach the distance you have a known direction for the turn.  Not sure how relevant that really was for me, but kinda neat.  He also taught me a little trick for losing altitude without losing sight of your landing field or getting too far away from it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

He also taught me a little trick for losing altitude without losing sight of your landing field or getting too far away from it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He also taught me a little trick for losing altitude without losing sight of your landing field or getting too far away from it.

Make a figure 8 off the approach end of the runway, with the long axis perpendicular to the extended centerline.  Your turns should be towards the runway.  This way you never turn your back on the field.

I almost blew my checkride being too high on the engine-out approach, and that was with flaps out and a slip.  But I realized it, so he let me go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

OK, I see where you're going.  I assumed they all had to be 'long' for your PPL XC and that's the light I looked at it in.  Technically, then, I have a lot more XC time than logged.  I fly to different airports all the time.

For mine, I had to make a positioning flight.  From KSDL to KPAN is 49nm.  From KFFZ to KPAN is 52nm.  So, I had to fly from KSDL to KFFZ.  Then, my XC started.  I flew from KFFZ - KPAN - E25 - KFFZ.  End flight.  Then a new flight from KFFZ to KSDL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We all have more cross country time than we log because we never log anything that is less than 50 nm.  Just too much work to keep up with for totals.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So, it looks like I'm making another XC flight tomorrow.  While my last flight can technically be called a XC, I'm worried about it with the DPE being a major stickler.  I flew KSDL-KFFZ-KPAN-E25-KDVT-KSDL.

So, I logged it that way.  Logging it that way, I was never more than 50nm from my original point of departure.  KSDL-KPAN straight line is 47nm.  I should have logged KSDL-KFFZ as a separate flight.  But I didn't.  So, I can start dicking around in the logbook changing stuff, but that's only going to bring up a rash of questions.  I wanted to fly anyway this weekend, and I only need 2.0 to be SURE my stuff is right.  So, I'm going to fly KSDL-E60 which is 52nm.  Then just loiter in the practice area to make sure I hit 2.0.  

I'll feel better about it, and there won't be any question as to whether the requirements are met.
View Quote

Smart to redo things.  It sucks and is expensive, but worth it to know you're logbook is squared away for the ride.  I had to redo my long cross country for my instrument rating because at one of the airports I didn't do an instrument approach.  We had a radio failure and were talking to ATC with a handheld radio so I made the decision to do a visual approach and land ASAP.  I still had the three approaches, but not an instrument approach at each airport as specified in the FARs.. The examiner even noticed the double entry in my logbook and it became a point of discussion.  If your examiner notices and asks questions you'll be ready with the answer because you know the definition for cross country time. Maybe that'll happen early in the oral and it'll win you some points, thereby making the oral easier.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top