Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorta. Yes. A better way to put it is, a PIM - information manual is generic to make and model.  POH is specific to serial number and will list weight and balance, installed equipment and operating limitations. 

But yeah. You basically got it right. Don't worry about getting tripped up, usually the questions are straight forward, it's a private ride, not an ATP 
and don't be afraid to say you don't know AND remember, you can look stuff up... showing you know WHERE to find the answer is sometimes more important then having the answer off the top of your head. 

Good luck. And try to relax
View Quote

I feel pretty confident.  My instructor and I are doing a mock oral on Thursday and a mock checkride early next week.   My actual ride is March 4.  

I know I can look stuff up, but CFI says "Don't use your books as a crutch.  If you say 'let me look that up' to EVERY question, it's not going to go well for you".
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
So, have I mostly got every answer right (except the Mode C/Radio! question)?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You bet!  It's an STC, owned by the Aeronca Association.  I bought it as soon as I got my champ.  Max speed 100 MPH, No intentional spins, No flying in precipitation, No loose objects in cockpit, Must be >70F  (my rule)  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the significance of "maneuvering speed"?

Explain the relationship between weight and maneuvering speed.

At what weight is the placarded maneuvering calculated?

Here is one for ske714:
Can you fly a champ without the door?

If so what are the requirements?

You bet!  It's an STC, owned by the Aeronca Association.  I bought it as soon as I got my champ.  Max speed 100 MPH, No intentional spins, No flying in precipitation, No loose objects in cockpit, Must be >70F  (my rule)  

Yep. While not part of the STC...avoid slips to the right.

Might pop a rear window loose.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

MGTOW and MGLW?

I honestly don't know for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bonus question:  172R = 160 HP.  172S = 180HP.  What two things are different?

MGTOW and MGLW?

I honestly don't know for sure.

The prop, and the tach.  They increased RPM from 2400, to 2700 to get 20HP.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, and no loops in a 172, I hear the doors pop open.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What makes an airplane fly?
View Quote

Sorry, I missed this one.  It's money.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:52:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will do fine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:53:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can an airplane take off if it is on a giant treadmill?

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I feel pretty confident.  My instructor and I are doing a mock oral on Thursday and a mock checkride early next week.   My actual ride is March 4.  

I know I can look stuff up, but CFI says "Don't use your books as a crutch.  If you say 'let me look that up' to EVERY question, it's not going to go well for you".
View Quote
He's right, but it's a resource if you need it. 
I had a student go on a private ride a few years back and the FAA sat in on the ride
they were holding short for landing traffic when the guy landed gear up and slid off the runway. 

The examiner got out to go see see if they were ok. The only person in the plane was a priest, he was praying, saying Hail Marys and all that till the examiner told him the guy in the back of the plane was with the FAA and he'll want to talk to him when they get back. 

He said the priest started cussing like a sailor at that point
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol!  If I forget to close the window before I slip to the left with the door off, I takes my hat and headset off.  It's very distracting on final.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The prop, and the tach.  They increased RPM from 2400, to 2700 to get 20HP.
View Quote

I like the R, but man the S sure does climb.

I was flying out of a field with a ~5200ft elevation and I was seeing 6-700 FPM on the VSI on climb out.  It was a colder day, and DA was around 5100'.  

I was alone in the plane, but still, I was pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:00:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He's right, but it's a resource if you need it. 
I had a student go on a private ride a few years back and the FAA sat in on the ride
they were holding short for landing traffic when the guy landed gear up and slid off the runway. 

The examiner got out to go see see if they were ok. The only person in the plane was a priest, he was praying, saying Hail Marys and all that till the examiner told him the guy in the back of the plane was with the FAA and he'll want to talk to him when they get back. 

He said the priest started cussing like a sailor at that point
View Quote

OK, here's a question.  Let's say the FAA showed up and wanted to sit in on my checkride.  But bringing the FAA guy would put us out of W&B limitations.  Do you politely tell him to screw off?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol!  If I forget to close the window before I slip to the left with the door off, I takes my hat and headset off.  It's very distracting on final.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OK, here's a question.  Let's say the FAA showed up and wanted to sit in on my checkride.  But bringing the FAA guy would put us out of W&B limitations.  Do you politely tell him to screw off?
View Quote
If you're really over weight yes. But if the FAA shows up to ride along you get a free check ride. 
The examiner can't charge for a ride he's being observed on 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Checkride examiner pulled power for simulated engine out. I was told before the ride that he liked to set up so a runway was right out his window after you came out from under the hood. So I was expecting this.

Turned out the runway was out my window. He got wind I had been tipped off. I made a full 360 before I spotted the runway. Laughed our asses off when we got finished.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Checkride examiner pulled power for simulated engine out. I was told before the ride that he liked to set up so a runway was right out his window after you came out from under the hood. So I was expecting this.

Turned out the runway was out my window. He got wind I had been tipped off. I made a full 360 before I spotted the runway. Laughed our asses off when we got finished.
View Quote
Hahaha. 

I had a bird strike on my commercial ride. 
We were pretty much done anyway, it just made the ride shorter
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hahaha. 

I had a bird strike on my commercial ride. 
We were pretty much done anyway, it just made the ride shorter
View Quote

A great deal of the things in my life that I will never forget... happened in an airplane.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:19:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A great deal of the things in my life that I will never forget... happened in an airplane.
View Quote
No kidding. I've had a lot of fun and a few moments of worry... 
but it's always been worth it I think 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No kidding. I've had a lot of fun and a few moments of worry... 
but it's always been worth it I think 
View Quote

It has absolutely been worth it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:37:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It has absolutely been worth it.
View Quote

I got my shirt tail cut when I was 16. That's 40 years ago. I flew awhile. It helped that the Dads had a beech Musketeer then a cessna 310. Marriage, family, a couple too many close calls....   but this thread was a great read. I still snowboard, so there is that. And shoot. Motorcycle...  

Good luck O.P. It's definitely one of those things in life, you simply must experience.

Hahaha... here's one from experience. You taxi on, and when you apply full power, you hear a steady banging noise. You cut power and it disappears. Reapply, banging. What's the easiest and most logical thing to check?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:43:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I got my shirt tail cut when I was 16. That's 40 years ago. I flew awhile. It helped that the Dads had a beech Musketeer then a cessna 310. Marriage, family, a couple too many close calls....   but this thread was a great read. I still snowboard, so there is that. And shoot. Motorcycle...  

Good luck O.P. It's definitely one of those things in life, you simply must experience.

Hahaha... here's one from experience. You taxi on, and when you apply full power, you hear a steady banging noise. You cut power and it disappears. Reapply, banging. What's the easiest and most logical thing to check?  
View Quote

Did you remember to put your seatbelt on?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're the pilot in command, so you do whatever it takes to have a safe flight.
If that means telling Mr. FAA that he can't ride, then so be it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#23]
On the way back, my examiner started asking questions about "what if you notice your oil temperature creeping up..." I start explaining that I'd level off and enrichen the mixture. Then he kills the engine on downwind. I give him a sarcastic "oooh noooo" and I landed the airplane. For practical stuff, when it comes to your accuracy landing +/200ft IIRC from the PTS, you can come in short, hold the plane in slow flight and drop it wherever you want. Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was flying out of a field with a ~5200ft elevation and I was seeing 6-700 FPM on the VSI on climb out.  It was a colder day, and DA was around 5100'.  

View Quote

Just wait till you get to fly up north on a cold winter day, you'll climb like a rocket!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you're really over weight yes. But if the FAA shows up to ride along you get a free check ride. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you should mention that.
Where I learned, the airport owner WAS the FAA guy, he was a big guy and any time we flew together in the 152 with full tanks, we were overweight. He let it slide.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What is the significance of "maneuvering speed"?

It's the maximum safe speed at which it's 'safe' to make abrupt control inputs

Explain the relationship between weight and maneuvering speed.

maneuvering speed decreases with weight

At what weight is the placarded maneuvering calculated?

MGTOW
View Quote

But why is it 'safe' below that speed?   Why does maneuvering speed decrease with weight?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait till you fly a 182.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you remember to put your seatbelt on?
View Quote

Yep, you got it. And so did my Dad once. He got diagnosed by the tower.  FUNNY memories.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The better answer is tell the DPE he can't go- that way there's no pressure in him and you still get a free ride.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

FM
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

On my third recovery from an unusual attitude, my examiner injected humor by setting me up so that I looked up looking directly at the sun.  Fortunately, he also found it funny when I was doing my short field landing, and was about two inches short of the runway.  The main gear made a big bang when it hit the edge.       It was the last landing, and while he was laughing, he said, "Congratulations, you're a pilot."    
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Keep in mind that the job of every instructor and examiner you fly with is to ensure that you're safe. Part of doing this is to put as much pressure as possible on you to increase your opportunity to make mistakes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wait till you fly a 182.  
View Quote

Make that a turbo RG 182  

Things happen a lot faster in that too!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#34]
What is an indication of carb icing? How about induction icing?

What happens to mixture once carb heat is applied?

What action do you take for induction icing?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#35]
What is a symptom of an in-flight mag failure?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Do you add I'm a pilot to your name when you meet someone yet? If not you might want to work on that.  Good luck hope to be there in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do you add I'm a pilot to your name when you meet someone yet? If not you might want to work on that.  Good luck hope to be there in the near future.
View Quote

I've bought about 50 of those pilot uniform t shirts. They're great at bars because you don't even have to talk.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even I know this one.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't do this.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But why is it 'safe' below that speed?   Why does maneuvering speed decrease with weight?
View Quote

Manufacturer testing. ETA:  Longer answer.  Because the manufacturer has tested the aircraft structure at that weight and found that it should not damage the airframe.

Because the load factor on the wings is lower
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

engine begins to run rough.  I don't know what induction icing is.

It become lean

see above
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What is a symptom of an in-flight mag failure?
View Quote

Loss of power
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#43]
What equipment is required to overfly class C airspace?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Manufacturer testing. ETA:  Longer answer.  Because the manufacturer has tested the aircraft structure at that weight and found that it should not damage the airframe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The correct answer is that the aircraft manufacturer has determined that at the given weight and speed, the wing will exceed critical angle of attack, and the aircraft will stall if a maneuver is attempted that would exceed the rated G limit of the aircraft.  Remember that as speed decreases, or weight increases, wing AOA must increase to provide sufficient lift.  At or below maneuvering speed, the AOA will exceed critical, and an accelerated stall will occur before the G limit is exceeded.  With a lighter load in the aircraft, AOA is reduced across the entire range of speed.  Therefore, it takes less speed to exceed critical.  That's why maneuvering speed is slower with less weight.

Maneuvering speed isn't just for maneuvering.  If you find yourself in heavy turbulence, slow down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

engine begins to run rough.  I don't know what induction icing is.

It become lean

see above
View Quote

The engine won't necessarily run rough with ice.  Ice in the carb has pretty much the same effect as reducing throttle by reducing air flow.   RPM's will drop.  It will become rough when you turn on the heat and the ice melts.  Why does the mixture become lean?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll give you two of the favorite questions asked by an examiner I used to take my students to. These questions were always asked as the examiner observed the student's walk-around inspection. I always thought they were good for revealing the depth of a student's understanding of what flying was all about. First one:

"What do you use to turn the aircraft inflight?"
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Explain how your engine works. If your engine quits in flight, what do you do?

Works real good. If it stops working real good deploy the ballistic chute and scream.

What does the dot at the bottom middle of a tower symbol on a sectional represent?

The dot means that it is an Indian tower ....probably named after Ghandi or some other dothead.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#48]
A hypothetical question - In your Cessna, if you suddenly lost the effect of your horizontal stabilizer in level flight, what would the nose of the plane immediately do, and why?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Loss of power
View Quote

High EGT due to incomplete fuel burn.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
[ How about induction icing?

I don't know what induction icing is.
Induction icing is the fuel-injected version of carb icing.

In this instance, you open the alternate air source. Induction icing tends block the air flow to the cylinders
View Quote
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top