Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 7:40:13 PM EDT
Did my 3 spins to the left and right to meet the standards in an Extra 330. Somehow ended up fatigued and got the plane upside down on my last spin, pulled out at 5Gs and saw stars. I had an issue not wanting to add in full power in the dive to pull out and I suspect a 172 is a different animal than an Extra with 360HP on tap. Full power just didn't seem natural to me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Did my 3 spins to the left and right to meet the standards in an Extra 330. Somehow ended up fatigued and got the plane upside down on my last spin, pulled out at 5Gs and saw stars. I had an issue not wanting to add in full power in the dive to pull out and I suspect a 172 is a different animal than an Extra with 360HP on tap. Full power just didn't seem natural to me.
View Quote

This seems odd.   I could see needing full power on the pullout if you're pulling 5Gs, but I'd question why 5Gs was necessary unless you were doing this as part of an advanced free IAC routine or something.

Spins are fun.   Did them for two hours on Sunday morning practicing for the upcoming IAC season.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a good time!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I did mine in a Piper Traumahawk, before the AD.

That which does not kill us...
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This seems odd.   I could see needing full power on the pullout if you're pulling 5Gs, but I'd question why 5Gs was necessary unless you were doing this as part of an advanced free IAC routine or something.

Spins are fun.   Did them for two hours on Sunday morning practicing for the upcoming IAC season.
View Quote

I was having fun. The first five spins went fine, but this was a number of firsts for me, having never spun an airplane. I was just introduced to the throttle and had been stopping the rotation and gliding out of the spin, at which point I was instructed to start adding full power. The plane was definitely ahead of me with this. It did exactly what I told it to, but I had no idea what to expect from the plane. I believe what happened is that when I rolled out of the spin and released backpressure on the stick that I may have pushed past neutral while pointing towards the ground and ended up a bit inverted -- that or somehow I may have been in an inverted spin. Not knowing what a spin is supposed to feel like, it sure felt like I was a little flat in what I saw in my sight picture. The control input that I used to enter the maneuver was to keep the wings level and the plane coordinated into a stall, then as soon as the plane stalled, I stood on the rudder and held the stick full aft with aileron input to the side of rotation to help drop a wing for entry. Seeing my airspeed increasing and knowing that I was definitely headed towards the ground I pulled back and went level and was laughing my ass off through all of it. We had thousands of feet below us so I didn't think there was any real risk, but it was a lot of fun. It took about 3-4 hours for the nausea to subside, which I believe was due to anxiety prior to the start of the training.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I did mine in a Piper Traumahawk, before the AD.

That which does not kill us...
View Quote

A good friend of mine bent his spar spinning his Tomahawk.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was having fun. The first five spins went fine, but this was a number of firsts for me, having never spun an airplane. I was just introduced to the throttle and had been stopping the rotation and gliding out of the spin, at which point I was instructed to start adding full power. The plane was definitely ahead of me with this. It did exactly what I told it to, but I had no idea what to expect from the plane. I believe what happened is that when I rolled out of the spin and released backpressure on the stick that I may have pushed past neutral while pointing towards the ground and ended up a bit inverted -- that or somehow I may have been in an inverted spin. Not knowing what a spin is supposed to feel like, it sure felt like I was a little flat in what I saw in my sight picture. The control input that I used to enter the maneuver was to keep the wings level and the plane coordinated into a stall, then as soon as the plane stalled, I stood on the rudder and held the stick full aft with aileron input to the side of rotation to help drop a wing for entry. Seeing my airspeed increasing and knowing that I was definitely headed towards the ground I pulled back and went level and was laughing my ass off through all of it. We had thousands of feet below us so I didn't think there was any real risk, but it was a lot of fun. It took about 3-4 hours for the nausea to subside, which I believe was due to anxiety prior to the start of the training.
View Quote

There is no reason to add roll into the spin when entering - in fact it is an anti-spin input, as the down aileron lowers the effective angle of attack of that portion of the wing, reducing drag and potentially delaying the stall.  The adverse yaw will tend to drag the nose in the opposite direction of your intended spin.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There is no reason to add roll into the spin when entering - in fact it is an anti-spin input, as the down aileron lowers the effective angle of attack of that portion of the wing, reducing drag and potentially delaying the stall.  The adverse yaw will tend to drag the nose in the opposite direction of your intended spin.

Mike
View Quote

That depends on the characteristics of the plane you're flying. In a Cessna that is correct but in the aerobatic biplane I did my spin training in it's not. You had to enter the spin similarly.

The best part was instead of dropping the nose line in a 172 it snap rolled inverted and then spun. Damn what a ride.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#8]
All my spin training has been in a Citabria 8KCAB or a 150 Aerobat.

I'm planning on getting back in a aerobatic bird soon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All my spin training has been in a Citabria 8KCAB or a 150 Aerobat.

I'm planning on getting back in a aerobatic bird soon.
View Quote

Where are you based?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A good friend of mine bent his spar spinning his Tomahawk.
View Quote

In the spin or pulling out of the spin?   Getting a bit overanxious on recovering from the dive after stopping the spin is a common mistake.   The spin itself shouldn't generate enough G to bend anything (unless the spin is entered horizontally at high speed, but we usually call those "snap rolls").
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where are you based?
View Quote

Central Florida- looking at going to SGJ and flying with Patty Wagstaff's outfit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top