Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2017 10:26:07 PM EDT
Was looking at RVs, Sonex, and the like and got me thinking-Would you fly a plane that you built?

If you did, were you pretty nervous when it came time for a first flight?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't ride a scooter that I built
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm not willing to fly it, why would I waste my time building it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Bearhawk!

ETA:
Bearhawk in the Backcountry
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, because it had been looked over by numerous other knowledgable people during the build for both conformance to plans as well as construction practices.   I had transition training as well as some training in test flying.  I had the right protective gear, a plan for the flight on test cards and a checklist for whatever I thought could possibly go wrong.   I enlisted the help of an EAA Flight Advisor, and we briefed the flight several days before as well as the morning of.   We stayed on script and didn't get lost trying to "improvise" anything.   Besides, several thousand of these things (RVs) had flown before mine, so it wasn't like it was a fresh design.

It was fun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I build a lot of stuff so yes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
As an A&P (non-practicing) I'd better say yes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of people die from it, because they take ten years off from flying, while they build their airplane with meticulous detail.  

Then, they jump in and get kilt because of something stupid.  Non current, and usually, old.

For example, they do a high speed taxi test, get airborne, panic, stall, crash-n-die.

It happens frequently enough, that it's an Aviation Cliche'.  

I would do it, but only if I had a nearly unlimited budget of money and time.  Maybe in a decade or two.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was looking at RVs, Sonex, and the like and got me thinking-Would you fly a plane that you built?

View Quote

I test flew a C182 that I COMPLETELY overhauled the O-470L engine in...

[Actually, the engine was 'out' when I rebuilt it...]

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Build it to the plans.  If you're not an engineer, then don't try to be one.
Enlist the aid of an EAA Technical Counselor and other builders of the same, or any type of aircraft, to inspect your work.
Have as many people check your work out as you go, and have them point out anything that doesn't look right to them.
Plan a proper test flight and follow it to the letter.
Know your skill level as a pilot and determine if you are capable of that first flight.  If not, find someone who is.
My Tech Counselor paid a visit to someone who is building a BD-4(Tech Counselor has built several airplanes including a BD-4).
He mentioned a very complicated(and unnecessary) fuel system and a very heavy interior to the builder, who shrugged it off.
Whether you're building or flying, being arrogant and stubborn will get you every time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I've built two and did the first flight of both. They are well established designs which were a big plus when staring down the centerline for the first time.

Actually, the thought of the first flight was a great motivator during the nearly 2000 hours in the shop. Sort of (or better than) first solo. Never forget.

You're pride of ownership will be off the scale versus something that's built in a factory. It's a feeling that cannot be bought.

Don't worry too much about building a popular kit. You can VERY likely do it but it will take years...
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope to.

I've got a Starduster Too project sitting in the hangar. Someday I'll get around to working on it again, haven't touched in over ten years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely.  Done enough structural work in my career,might as well say I have built several..........I have no problem strapping my ass to an aircraft I have worked on
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Some of the things I've built and driven could kill me just as fast as a plane. So, yes.

I wouldn't build a plane though, I HATE flying.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely.  Done enough structural work in my career,might as well say I have built several..........I have no problem strapping my ass to an aircraft I have worked on
View Quote
Your avatar is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I've flown on plenty of the aircraft I maintained, not much difference really.
I've had jobs where it was typical to go up on test flights after maintenance.
So to answer your question.....yes, I would.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I helped my dad build an RV-6.  I don't get to fly it much these days since we live 200 miles away, but I still sneak a few flights in every year.  Took my son for his first flight in it last year.  

I'm building an RV-7.  I'll be a little keyed-up on the first flight--nobody who's sane wouldn't be--but no doubt in my mind on doing it.  

IMVHO homebuilts are the future of privately-owned light aircraft.  The average guy can't afford a new Cirrus, the existing fleet will get old and phase out of service, and the FAA will never come to more reasonable terms for production of non-commercially-operated light airplanes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I have flown aircraft that I did MAJOR repairs on to include wing changes.  No issue flying one I put together.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I still a low time student pilot, but I'll put it this way.  If I am willing to put my butt on a motorcycle that while I didn't build it, I did strip it down to the frame a reassemble it, and I then rode the doodoo out of that thing... I would likely be willing to fly an airplane that I built.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:48:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, but not very high or fast 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top