Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 11:01:57 AM EDT
https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2017/jan/27/plane-crashes-into-perths-swan-river-as-thousands-look-on-video

Can someone dissect the control input here in the stall; specifically, can you tell by the way that it stalled if the pilot is using bottom or top rudder, or if it's coordinated? Was there anything the pilot could've done to recover at that altitude once it started?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it was just overbanked for too slow of an airspeed.  At that low of an altitude, not much can be done once you're in that situation.

ETA:  I can't tell if it's coordinated or not.  Maybe someone can.  He may have been able to save it if he instantly applied power, opposite rudder and forward stick/yoke right at lower wing drop.  But, that's just what-iffing it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Same thing the hotshot did with a B-52 a while back.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
once the stall happened, there was no fixing it. Thats a heavy plane too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Coordination wouldn't really be a big factor in my opinion.

Too tight of a turn at to low of an airspeed and the low wing just quit flying.  Soon as that sink rate set in about 90 degrees into that turn it was probably unrecoverable at that altitude.

This is the same experience that many GA pilots face with an engine problem shortly after take off.  They try to do a 180 to get back to the runway and end up crashing.  Too slow, too low, and turning too tight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same thing the hotshot did with a B-52 a while back.
View Quote

1. slow it down.

2. bank it hard.

3. pull a really tight turn.

4. enjoy a brief moment wondering where you screwed up, as the ground rushes up to meet you.

(sorry for quoting myself ......... I meant to edit)
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#6]
damn....it just fell out the sky.

That's one hell of a tight turn though...I don't even see actual real ducks try to turn that tight on landing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the classic low altitude inside of the turn engine failure. We can't tell from the video because of the poor sound quality, but I'm sure a post crash investigation of the engines will answer that question. If both engines were just fine, the pilot was just being a dumbass.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]
It looked like a classic accelerated stall.   He could have rolled the wings level and recovered when he was at 30 degrees.   By the time he got to 45 degrees, he was done.    It didn't look like lack of coordination was the main issue.   He ran out of energy, altitude, and ideas, simultaneously.  

Pilot error.   Even with an engine failure, he had an unlimited runway he could have glided too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It looked like a classic accelerated stall.   He could have rolled the wings level and recovered when he was at 30 degrees.   By the time he got to 45 degrees, he was done.    It didn't look like lack of coordination was the main issue.   He ran out of energy, altitude, and ideas, simultaneously.  

Pilot error.   Even with an engine failure, he had an unlimited runway he could have glided too.
View Quote

So If I understand that correctly, he banked too much going too slow?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not bank angle, he pulled more AOA than the wing could tolerate and it stalled.  It will happen no matter what attitude the aircraft is in.  In a normal upright banking turn the Inside wing has lower airspeed so it stalls first and the plane rolls farther into the turn.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not bank angle, he pulled more G than the wing could provide and it stalled.  It will happen no matter what attitude the aircraft is in.  In a normal banking turn the Inside wing has lower airspeed so it stalls first and the plane rolls farther into the turn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bank angle, he pulled more G than the wing could provide and it stalled.  It will happen no matter what attitude the aircraft is in.  In a normal banking turn the Inside wing has lower airspeed so it stalls first and the plane rolls farther into the turn.

I see...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Textbook accelerated stall.

Poor bastards.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have your instructor demonstrate an accelerated stall.  It's impressive and really drives home the concept of AOA.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]
High speed accelerated stall.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
For a mallard it flew like a cormorant.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#16]
A really fine example of piss poor piloting.
Too bad he couldn't have given the demonstration in a less beautiful aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#17]
"Approach Turn Stall," one of the first maneuvers I learned at Saufley Field flying the T-34B Mentor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
High speed accelerated stall.

Vince
View Quote

I think you meant you meant to say "slow."
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the earth rise and smite thee with forceful gravitational vengeance, forthwith, henceto and into perpetuity for a real long time

If thou art going without great haste and engage in plentiful bank yankest not back on thine yoke with overexuberance lest ye attend debriefing in the presence of the Lord.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the earth rise and smite thee with forceful gravitational vengeance, forthwith, henceto and into perpetuity for a real long time

If thou art going without great haste and engage in plentiful bank yankest not back on thine yoke with overexuberance lest ye attend debriefing in the presence of the Lord.
View Quote

Been reading The Bard have we? Hmmmm?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep, it was the pull the got him.  He was coordinated but it didn't matter, the G load from the pull caused the critical AOA to be exceeded and that was that.    Be careful out there.  As they say, flying is not inherently dangerous but it is terribly unforgiving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top