Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2017 10:54:36 AM EDT
F-15E massive afterburner blowout on take off
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Dang, in the slowmo did I see the engine shit metal?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, if you're gonna stall, that's probably the best possible place to do it!  And the sound of that engine roaring up may be the most beautiful sound on Earth.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Neat video. I bet the crew was glad it happened early in the roll.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bet the crew was glad it happened early in the roll.
View Quote

You're not kidding.  A buddy of mine had a burner blowout on takeoff roll in the Tomcat, at fairly high speed.  He got it under control, but blew a tire.  Dropped the hook to take the long field arresting gear, but the wheel (from the blown tire) cut the cable.  Fortunately, it slowed him enough that he was able to get it stopped right at the end of the runway.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Asymmetric unstart!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]
That was exciting
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I miss Lakenheath
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Meh

back in the day I would not have aborted a takeoff for an AB anomaly. Many Times I just pulled it out of AB and tried it again. It isn't like you need the thrust unless it is a short runway and you are max gross weight.  If it burped again, I would pull it out of AB and try it again at flying airspeed.

Maybe SOP has changed though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dang, in the slowmo did I see the engine shit metal?
View Quote

Mostly likely not. When the engine has a contained failure, you see lots of stuff flying out of the back. A contained failure is when the engine comes apart, but the containment rings prevent any parts or shrapnel from escaping perpendicular to the line of flow.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I read an article somewhere that I can't seem to find that spoke about the issues the early F15 afterburners had. I found some of the way they spoke about the behavior of the early afterburners to be pretty funny.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Found it!:

Accelerating straight up? That's a myth. First off, the old coal-burning Pratt F100-100 proved troublesome. When the throttles were pushed into afterburner you weren't 100% sure if the flame would come out of the back end or the front end. Sometimes, it came out of both ends.

I've flown a twin-engine glider, meaning that both engines, while still operating but producing no thrust, as they had stalled. I had maybe 30 hours in the jet at that point.
View Quote

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/how-to-win-in-a-dogfight-stories-from-a-pilot-who-flew-1682723379
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I miss Lakenheath
View Quote

Me too!  85-88    

I saw an FB-111 do that during the MITO for Global Shield.   The jet behind him was already rolling fast.  My neighbor was it's crew chief, and he said they had to use a torch to get the brakes apart.  That jet, and the jet that had the compressor stall got back in line behind the tankers, and went anyway.

Here is a video for effect from a few years later.  Same planes and runway.  

FB-111A and KC-135A MITO at Plattsburgh AFB 1988
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Me too!  85-88    

I saw an FB-111 do that during the MITO for Global Shield.   The jet behind him was already rolling fast.  My neighbor was it's crew chief, and he said they had to use a torch to get the brakes apart.  That jet, and the jet that had the compressor stall got back in line behind the tankers, and went anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=825VVvNuSFY
View Quote

The field was almost IFR by the time the 135's were done rolling coal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too!  85-88    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=825VVvNuSFY

One year, a tanker blew all the middle parts out of an engine, and took out three on the plane behind it.

I got to watch from the other side a couple times, between the alert facility and the runway.  What an experience.  What the video obviously lacks is the sound.  They would run adds in the paper and on the news for about a week before, warning the town that the sirens would go off, and that all of the bombers launching at close intervals would cause "sonic disruptions".  It made that crackling sound you hear when big rockets are launching.

ETA: I remember wondering what it would be like to watch that, knowing it was for real.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top