Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 2:51:46 PM EDT
I fly a lot for work and finally get to fly on the 787.  Denver to Narita.   Looking forward to seeing how the improved environmental control affects the jet lag.

I've flown the Chicago-Narita route more than a dozen times in 777s and a few 747s.  First impressions are that the seats are similar, but with clear "upscale" branding, including Saks 5th Ave  on the pillows and blankets.

Will provide more of a review after the flight.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I would want more than just 2 engines.... 747 baby!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking forward to the reviews
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
ETOPS=Engines Turn Or People Swim
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate the LCD window tint, doesn't block the sun as well as traditional shades and makes it hard to sleep.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's so old school!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag for the review
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's so old school!
View Quote

That's how I roll!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd rather have two engines in any Boeing than 3 in a MD-11.  I don't want to be sea sick when I get there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd rather have two engines in any Boeing than 3 in a MD-11.  I don't want to be sea sick when I get there.
View Quote

I've always found MD-11, DC-10, and KC-10 to be a very comfortable ride.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd ask you to sit in coach and get back to us.  I'm so glad my time bouncing around the world is getting short.  I'm so sick of flying.  Oh, and fuck coach class seats.  Who designed them, people under 5' tall?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd ask you to sit in coach and get back to us.  I'm so glad my time bouncing around the world is getting short.  I'm so sick of flying.  Oh, and fuck coach class seats.  Who designed them, people under 5' tall?
View Quote

Bean counters.  
I can hear them now:  "If we can carry 4 more passengers, we can make more profit!  There's enough room in there to hold 8 more passengers, so they'll still have plenty of room."
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bean counters.  
I can hear them now:  "If we can carry 4 more passengers, we can make more profit!  There's enough room in there to hold 8 more passengers, so they'll still have plenty of room."
View Quote

Yes seat pitches have shrunk, but ticket prices are like 20% of what they were in the "glory days" before deregulation. I'm 5'11" and have no problem flying coach on international airlines.  US domestic carriers are the worst.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately I work for Uncle Sugar, so international airlines are few and far between.  No idea how many miles flown I have under my belt, but I might give shuttle astronauts a run for their money.  And at 6'3' after a 15 hour coach flight on United, I'm ready to commit homicide.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unfortunately I work for Uncle Sugar, so international airlines are few and far between.  No idea how many miles flown I have under my belt, but I might give shuttle astronauts a run for their money.  And at 6'3' after a 15 hour coach flight on United, I'm ready to commit homicide.
View Quote

So do I, but I've been overseas for a decade.  Even US flagged carriers step it up a notch on international routes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#16]
In for the pics!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#17]
So some quick comments.   And for background I have flown a mix of business and coach on long haul international flights, so I do have some reference comparisons there.

787 Specific:
  I honestly didn't feel a huge difference in the way I felt after the flight.   Perhaps my nose wasn't as dried out as some other flights, but I still felt "dry" about half way through the flight.   I did like the larger windows and the auto-dimming was nice.  Since we were flying west we actually had sunlight the entire flight, so it helped keep the cabin dark enough for sleeping and prevented the occasional blinding that comes from someone opening their shade mid-flight to see what it looks like outside.    It did make it feel a little surreal seeing the white clouds and snow capped mountains through a shade of aqua blue.   The ride was a bit more quiet than a 777 or 747, and felt smoother, but that could also have been from having good air to fly in as well.

Polaris Specific:

I didn't think there was anything significantly improved over the previous version of United Business, and for that matter really any of the other domestic carriers.  They are all about the same with similar amenities.  The basic toiletries kit looked pretty fancy but unless you are a lotion connoisseur, not really all that special.  Still a tooth brush, eye mask, some ear plugs, tissues, etc.   The fold flat seats haven't changed, but are of course nice enough to sleep in.  I thought the food was a little better than I've had before with United.  The meal selections had a bit more options, and the food quality did seem better.  

All in all I would say it was really no better / no worse than business class on any other domestic carrier.  It certainly wouldn't be enough to change my mind in which airline I was going to chose, and would still make that based on cost and frequent flier miles.   I think the 787 is a neat plane and glad I flew on it, but probably won't go out of my way to find flights that use it, especially if there are other alternatives with similar flight schedules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top