Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2017 4:29:20 PM EDT
I heard this recently from someone who claims to work with the FAA's technology department. You'll have to accept this as only a rumor as I have no verifiable sources that I can post. But the story goes that Obama pushed a shift in the FAA to aggregate and provide as much data for the airlines as possible. This strikes me as somewhat suspicious given that the airlines already know what's going on when it comes to routing, passenger loads, et cetera. I suspect that the real reason for this direction is to provide the information on airlines currently operating in the US market to foreign carriers so they can compete.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My government, enabling Cabotage?

GTFO!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Uhmm, no. 
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I heard this recently from someone who claims to work with the FAA's technology department. You'll have to accept this as only a rumor as I have no verifiable sources that I can post. But the story goes that Obama pushed a shift in the FAA to aggregate and provide as much data for the airlines as possible. This strikes me as somewhat suspicious given that the airlines already know what's going on when it comes to routing, passenger loads, et cetera. I suspect that the real reason for this direction is to provide the information on airlines currently operating in the US market to foreign carriers so they can compete.
View Quote

What type of data are you talking about?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What type of data are you talking about?
View Quote

My understanding it's the ATC data. They did not mention anything specific aside from it being ATC data and providing it to the major air carriers, but the thing that's fishy to me is that I'm sure the airlines have detailed operating and tracking data on the aircraft and have for years. It's possible that some of it has to do with CPDLC or ADS-B, but all experience hath shewn that our previous administration worked very hard to benefit the foreign elite at the expense of the American people, that they did this on all fronts possible, and that I would expect no less of them to have whatever practices in place to benefit foreign carriers over domestic.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as I know this is false. Also, half the time, the airlines don't even know where some of their aircraft are. I
have personally fielded calls from carriers asking "we are looking for...."

The FAA has been very enthusiastic to include the "users" in the "collaborative decision making process."

Translation:

The lunatics are running the asylum.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as I know this is false. Also, half the time, the airlines don't even know where some of their aircraft are. I
have personally fielded calls from carriers asking "we are looking for...."

The FAA has been very enthusiastic to include the "users" in the "collaborative decision making process."

Translation:

The lunatics are running the asylum.
View Quote

Sounds like Brooks's Law is hard at work.

I'm both surprised and not surprised. The technical competency of the organization seems to be inversely proportional to the size and age of the company. I've parsed the full aviation datasets for airspace, airports, airways, et cetera, but I have not worked with the tracking data. My understanding is that it's messy and that the guys that wrote the flight tracking websites that are out there did a lot of work to clean it up to turn it into flight tracks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The only thing I can assume you are talking about was the collaboration with the carriers for a program which redesigned some STARS  into major metropolitan areas for fuel efficiency. Yes one of the reasons the administration stated in the briefings was for carbon emissions. This applied speed restrictions on the arrivals. It works good at some times, and suck at others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top