Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2017 4:42:10 PM EDT
Has anyone here ever worked for trans state? Specifically as a mechanic. I have an interview in a couple weeks and am rather curious what to expect especially since I am coming from a ga background.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how they are now, but when I was in that industry they were on par or so with Mesa as far as mtx. practices, treatment of techs, pay and benefits.  thats not saying much.  That said, i shared ramp space with both airlines and the techs themselves were always great to be around.  

This was 10 years ago, so lots has changed, could be old outdated info.  

Treat it as a stepping stone to get some turbine experience, then move on.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm OK. My one concern is being stuck on third shift or something. I have a pretty cuash job with about three years of MX experience I just hate my location.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm OK. My one concern is being stuck on third shift or something. I have a pretty cuash job with about three years of MX experience I just hate my location.
View Quote

If your concern is being stuck on the midnight shift then don't apply for an airline.  Seniority will dictate what shift you work and it will take years with the company to make it to day shift.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, good to know. I couldn't do third shift because of health reasons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great choice, because your health would hate you

I work for an airline and am still on the midnight shift after sixteen years.  I could have held a couple of positions on day shift but didn't like the crew I would be working for.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:12:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "health reasons" doesn't get you enough super seniority to get out of working nights.

It doesn't on the flying side of an airline, anyway.  

For any airline, Learn all you can about the CONTRACT you will be working under.  It governs everything about your life.  

Like the other guy said, TSA is strictly a stepping stone, and not one of the better ones.    When I worked there, they had helpers turning the wrenches, and the Mechanics hung out in the MX shop, smoking, and occasionally signing things off.   The Mechanics destroyed a number of perfectly good airplanes, and lost their taxi authorization, during a spate of runway incursions.   The stories were legendary.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yikes. Yeah I don't plan to try to even get an exemption due to health, I am not a special snowflake lol.
Not sure what I want to do now since my current employer offered me a DOM job today....
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#8]
DOM job?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Director of maintenance. Faa is willing to exempt the normal limitations on work experience for me. So I would also be taking care of a 135 operation.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Director of maintenance. Faa is willing to exempt the normal limitations on work experience for me. So I would also be taking care of a 135 operation.
View Quote

Trust me, you don't want the tsa job then.    Get the DOM job, and then use that to springboard into a good paying job in a place you want to live.    What you want, is a high end Pt. 91 corporate gig.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "health reasons" doesn't get you enough super seniority to get out of working nights.

For any airline, Learn all you can about the CONTRACT you will be working under.  It governs everything about your life.  

Like the other guy said, TSA is strictly a stepping stone, and not one of the better ones.    When I worked there, they had helpers turning the wrenches, and the Mechanics hung out in the MX shop, smoking, and occasionally signing things off.   The Mechanics destroyed a number of perfectly good airplanes, and lost their taxi authorization, during a spate of runway incursions.   The stories were legendary.
View Quote

Do share
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do share
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do share

I figured someone would ask.   Let me preface by saying; I didn't see it happen, and didn't even see the resulting carnage, but... my favorite story involved an Embraer Jet where they were doing a full power runup, on just one side.    The ground was icy, and it jumped the chock, and spun 180 degrees, Katana-chopping the wing into the cab of a pickup truck housing other mechanics.   Luckily, they had quick reflexes and ducked, just in time.    

Apparently, they also enjoyed putting Jetstream 41's up on jacks, retracting the gear, and then dropping them down on the props.  

I personally saw them Hot-Start, overtemp my Jetstream, so that the turbine wouldn't turn anymore.   Funniest part is, they didn't bother to tell us.   Guess they were hoping we wouldn't notice.  

I also personally saw them burn up an engine cowling, because they didn't bother to reattach the exhaust housing when they returned one to service.  

Dunno if any were completely destroyed, but expensive incidents were not uncommon.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I figured someone would ask.   Let me preface by saying; I didn't see it happen, and didn't even see the resulting carnage, but... my favorite story involved an Embraer Jet where they were doing a full power runup, on just one side.    The ground was icy, and it jumped the chock, and spun 180 degrees, Katana-chopping the wing into the cab of a pickup truck housing other mechanics.   Luckily, they had quick reflexes and ducked, just in time.    

Apparently, they also enjoyed putting Jetstream 41's up on jacks, retracting the gear, and then dropping them down on the props.  

I personally saw them Hot-Start, overtemp my Jetstream, so that the turbine wouldn't turn anymore.   Funniest part is, they didn't bother to tell us.   Guess they were hoping we wouldn't notice.  

I also personally saw them burn up an engine cowling, because they didn't bother to reattach the exhaust housing when they returned one to service.  

Dunno if any were completely destroyed, but expensive incidents were not uncommon.
View Quote

Yikes
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Yikes is right....  Wow.  I thought the local shop was bad when they burned up a king air engine...
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yikes is right....  Wow.  I thought the local shop was bad when they burned up a king air engine...
View Quote
pffft, how about throwing an O rivet in the inlet to even up an ITT spread 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#16]
HAHA that's amazing.... It never ceases to amaze me what some people think is a good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top