BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2017 9:52:18 PM EDT
4 killed in plane crash

No flight plan.  Flying VFR.  

METAR from closest airport to crash site, around time of crash.  KPAN 021635Z AUTO VRB04G10KT 10SM OVC003 02/01 A3011 RMK AO2

KPAN is at 5157'.  It was overcast at 300' agl there.  Terrain in the area rises to over 8000'.  He HAD to know it was that bad there.  He HAD to know he was flying into IMC.  He HAD to know the terrain rises.

No mayday calls.  Nothing.  His family started making phone calls probably 10-12 hours after the crash.  He was definitely in icing conditions too.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Doubt anyone will ever know unless some kind of note shows up.

Barring that, it was a plainly stupid thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That's two lawyers in less than a week.

ETA: Googled the pilot's ratings. I didn't see an instrument rating on his certificate. I ran my name through the same search and it showed up for me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:57:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's two lawyers in less than a week.

ETA: Googled the pilot's ratings. I didn't see an instrument rating on his certificate. I ran my name through the same search and it showed up for me.
View Quote

I did that too.  I don't think he was rated.  I just can't picture an instrument rated pilot taking off into known IMC and not filing.  This dude didn't file a plan at all.  I mean nothing.  And he was flying a 300nm route that goes over essentially nothing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
He had probably done similarly stupid things in the past and got away with it.
A big ego and stupidity really speed up Darwin.
It's a shame that others had to die because of him, though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Seems like we just had a thread on low time pilots.  Condolences to the family, I can't imagine the loss.  I personally would not fly a single engine anything in that region, much less a single engine piston, without an instrument rating.  I just came back from Rifle and the weather was crap, couldn't see the peaks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did that too.  I don't think he was rated. I just can't picture an instrument rated pilot taking off into known IMC and not filing.  This dude didn't file a plan at all.  I mean nothing.  And he was flying a 300nm route that goes over essentially nothing.
View Quote

I see it all the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If only there were rules against that....
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If only there were rules against that....
View Quote

If only....
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Posted on ABC 15.  

Sources tell ABC15 the girl's mother did not want her children in the plane as she didn't think her ex had enough flight experience; the woman did take the man to court over the issue in fear that something like a crash would happen.
View Quote

Something tells me that she knew the guy was a poor pilot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Posted on ABC 15.  

View Quote

Jeez, WTF is wrong with people.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Posted on ABC 15.  

View Quote

Holy shit. She sued to keep her kids out of the plane. What the accident CFIT or, ummm, unCFIT?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless it was a T210 with boots, hot prop, hot plate and a TON of mountain time he's a Fool.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
What was the forecast in Telluride?    

This is a story as old as time.     It's an aviation cliche'.   Guy with enough money to buy a nice airplane, but too much ego to know his own limitations.    

Aviation attracts these kind of people, like flies.

It's a shame he took the others with him.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Posted on ABC 15.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Posted on ABC 15.  

Sources tell ABC15 the girl's mother did not want her children in the plane as she didn't think her ex had enough flight experience; the woman did take the man to court over the issue in fear that something like a crash would happen.

No lie....a mother's intuition is more often right than wrong.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is a story as old as time.     It's an aviation cliche'.   Guy with enough money to buy a nice airplane, but too much ego to know his own limitations.    

View Quote

I never understood how people can be like that.....I came here posting about Comanches and was given good advice, which I will listen to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I never understood how people can be like that.....I came here posting about Comanches and was given good advice, which I will listen to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That Ego is within their very nature.   Ego, and positive thinking, Is what made them successful to begin with.      Works great in everyday life, but deadly in Aviation.      

A good pilot is a contradiction.  Enough ego to keep cool under pressure, but tempered with enough introspection and judgement to know his limitations. (Limitations of both pilot, and equipment)

"A superior pilot uses superior judgment, to avoid situations requiring superior skill".              

- and in flying, you can very easily cross the line where no amount of skill can save you. You can't see the line, until it's behind you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That Ego is within their very nature.   Ego, and positive thinking, Is what made them successful to begin with.      Works great in everyday life, but deadly in Aviation.      

A good pilot is a contradiction.  Enough ego to keep cool under pressure, but tempered with enough introspection and judgement to know his limitations. (Limitations of both pilot, and equipment)

"A superior pilot uses superior judgment, to avoid situations requiring superior skill".              

- and in flying, you can very easily cross the line where no amount of skill can save you. You can't see the line, until it's behind you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.....I know quite a few folks who are successful and can see their ego writing checks their ass can't cash. One of them owns a jet and I am amazed he is still flying. One of those guys who is never wrong and once they make their mind up it's no changing it. I don't think I would ever fly with him if he were PIC.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That makes sense.....I know quite a few folks who are successful and can see their ego writing checks their ass can't cash. One of them owns a jet and I am amazed he is still flying. One of those guys who is never wrong and once they make their mind up it's no changing it. I don't think I would ever fly with him if he were PIC.
View Quote

My wife got me a shirt that says "I'm a Pilot, so let's just assume I'm never wrong."  I rolled my eyes and thought to myself, well, now I know why no airplanes EVER crash.  

And no, I won't be wearing it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Another pilot flying his check book and not his log book.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My wife got me a shirt that says "I'm a Pilot, so let's just assume I'm never wrong."  I rolled my eyes and thought to myself, well, now I know why no airplanes EVER crash.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take that shirt off your hands
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Unless it was a T210 with boots, hot prop, hot plate and a TON of mountain time he's a Fool.
View Quote

FIFY.

We have a flight attendant who lost 3 children (ages 6-9) to a crash in the Superstition mountains.  I want to say it was similar to this incident...very sad!

I remember when I was a fool once.  I was a young, 300 hour (comm/inst rated...working on CFI) pilot, who hadn't flown in over 2.5 months (due to a mil deployment...I was enlisted at the time) who though he was invincible.  That 2 hour, night, hard IFR, turbulent, down to mins on a NDB circling approach to a poorly lit runway, in the middle of nowhere, was the single greatest lesson learned in my aviation career.  I now have over 3,000 hours in E170/737/757/767 and over 1,300 hours in F-16s and I would NOT attempt that same flight today.  It wasn't that this was an impossible flight, it was that I had no place attempting such a flight at my experience level, especially with my lack of currency...I didn't know my own limits.  KNOW YOUR LIMITS and call it a day when you hit them.  A hotel room or a missed meeting is a heck of a lot cheaper than the alternative.  Stay safe ladies and gents.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

KTEX has been nasty for the last few weeks, but of course everyone and their brother wanted to go up there.

KMTJ looked like fucking Teterboro. We were 7th in line for departure. The controllers were going out of their minds. Half of the guys hadn't read the NOTAMs, the freq was congested, multiple aircraft holding at Cones...total clownshoes.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

KTEX has been nasty for the last few weeks, but of course everyone and their brother wanted to go up there.

KMTJ looked like fucking Teterboro. We were 7th in line for departure. The controllers were going out of their minds. Half of the guys hadn't read the NOTAMs, the freq was congested, multiple aircraft holding at Cones...total clownshoes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm working pretty hard these days, and sometimes I bitch about it, but thanks for reminding me about the "good ole days" .    

I disliked ski season for that very reason.     It's actually kinda surprising there aren't more accidents.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth.
You only get so many " oh shit" moments in this profession. Sometimes it's just the one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Truth.
You only get so many " oh shit" moments in this profession. Sometimes it's just the one.
View Quote

Sullenburger said his entire career was carefully putting small deposits in his experience bank for one very large withdrawal.

I don't think we have a pilot shortage in this country. The numbers don't lie. There are still Y+X ATPs for Y new hire slots.

What we have, IMO, is an experience deficit, and that is FAR more difficult to quantify, and even harder to qualify.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sullenburger said his entire career was carefully putting small deposits in his experience bank for one very large withdrawal.

I don't think we have a pilot shortage in this country. The numbers don't lie. There are still Y+X ATPs for Y new hire slots.

What we have, IMO, is an experience deficit, and that is FAR more difficult to quantify, and even harder to qualify.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

I would have considered going into the profession in my younger years if the pay was better and the industry wasn't so volatile/cyclical.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Posted on ABC 15.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Posted on ABC 15.  

This guy obviously failed aviation decision making 101, and was in way over his head, but considering it was his EX wife, I wouldn't put much weight on this one piece of the puzzle.  My Ex freaked out every time I talked about taking our son flying, and I'm not what I'd call low time.  No worries though, my son has absolutely zero interest in aviation or airplanes.  His mom's putting him on Adderall, coupled with the ADHD diagnosis seals the deal, she won't ever have to worry about him becoming another "asshole pilot".

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd wear it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This guy obviously failed aviation decision making 101, and was in way over his head, but considering it was his EX wife, I wouldn't put much weight on this one piece of the puzzle.  My Ex freaked out every time I talked about taking our son flying, and I'm not what I'd call low time.  No worries though, my son has absolutely zero interest in aviation or airplanes.  His mom's putting him on Adderall, coupled with the ADHD diagnosis seals the deal, she won't ever have to worry about him becoming another "asshole pilot".

I'd wear it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Posted on ABC 15.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd wear it!

@dr_nimslow

If your son really wants to fly when he gets older there is a way to overturn the ADD diagnosis, it's just going to cost a few k.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#29]
The answer to the ADHD diagnosis is flying gliders for fun and having a real job.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#30]
When I saw the news reports on that guy augering in near Payson, all I could think of was the time of his departure and the weather on his route.  It was almost dark, and he was heading into known rain/snow/overcast, and into rising terrain.

Now I see in this thread the guy wasn't even IFR, and didn't file a flight plan.

I never went past a VFR single engine rating, but even my limited experience tells me I would not have touched that flight plan even if I WAS rated, given the airplane in use.  Plus, I am scared shitless of the idea of flying at night into that kind of terrain to begin with, weather not withstanding.

My dad (now 91 y.o.) flew for the majors for 30+ years, and had a saying, which I am sure came from somewhere:
There are OLD pilots and BOLD pilots, but there are NO old and bold pilots.  

I hate to suggest this, but I wonder if this pilot (an attorney by trade) let his legal ego think he could defy the laws of physics, and/or the laws of meteorology, and paid the ultimate price.  Too bad he took his kids and wife with him.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I saw the news reports on that guy augering in near Payson, all I could think of was the time of his departure and the weather on his route.  It was almost dark, and he was heading into known rain/snow/overcast, and into rising terrain.

Now I see in this thread the guy wasn't even IFR, and didn't file a flight plan.

I never went past a VFR single engine rating, but even my limited experience tells me I would not have touched that flight plan even if I WAS rated, given the airplane in use.  Plus, I am scared shitless of the idea of flying at night into that kind of terrain to begin with, weather not withstanding.

My dad (now 91 y.o.) flew for the majors for 30+ years, and had a saying, which I am sure came from somewhere:

I hate to suggest this, but I wonder if this pilot (an attorney by trade) let his legal ego think he could defy the laws of physics, and/or the laws of meteorology, and paid the ultimate price.  Too bad he took his kids and wife with him.
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MVDY8o7Bs
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MVDY8o7Bs

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#33]
An unchecked ego and a cockpit are more deadly than a match and gasoline.  Clearly he was not thinking. 
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#34]
dupe
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Have to wonder if he wasn't intentionally committing suicide.  With his limited experience it is beyond idiotic trying to make that flight at night even in perfect weather.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Have to wonder if he wasn't intentionally committing suicide.  With his limited experience it is beyond idiotic trying to make that flight at night even in perfect weather.
View Quote

Hangar talk suggests he had a HUGE ego and a problem with keeping his temper under control with his female partners....
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

unlikely.  It is more common than you would like for someone like him to allow their ego and income to write checks their skills can't cash.  Very sad for his family.  I hope his ex gets some legal vengeance on the court system for forcing her to allow her children to be killed by him.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

unlikely.  It is more common than you would like for someone like him to allow their ego and income to write checks their skills can't cash.  Very sad for his family.  I hope his ex gets some legal vengeance on the court system for forcing her to allow her children to be killed by him.
View Quote

I'm of the understanding that there was a court order in place prohibiting him from taking his kids on this flight.  Not sure what else the court could do.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm of the understanding that there was a court order in place prohibiting him from taking his kids on this flight.  Not sure what else the court could do.
View Quote

I will reread the case.  I was under the impression the court would not grant the order.  BRB

edit:I see that there was an agreement in the divorce that the kids would not fly with less than a commercial pilot (which he was not) and that she took him to court over it....not clear if it is a different court deal or not.  Still very, very sad.  Kids should have never been on that plane.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I still can't get over why VFR pilots fly into IMC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Case of get-home-itis leads them to try it in conditions that are borderline.  They make it, and decide that it wasn't all that bad, which leads to the next time.  Sooner or later, reality steps in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

How hard could it be?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Case of get-home-itis leads them to try it in conditions that are borderline.  They make it, and decide that it wasn't all that bad, which leads to the next time.  Sooner or later, reality steps in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess some people think they can do anything and it won't happen to them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How hard could it be?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How hard could it be?  

Suuuper easy lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like it may be just another reckless asshole in an airplane.  I wonder if he had ever made that trip during the day.  Flyiing around mountains is serious business, even in daylight. Night flying can be just as disorienting and dangerous as flying IFR weather.  Add in mountainous terrain to night flying in remote areas and you have a fairly challenging trip.  

NTSB database is filled with stories like these.  It's always sad when the pilot takes other people down with him.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sounds like it may be just another reckless asshole in an airplane.  I wonder if he had ever made that trip during the day.  Flyiing around mountains is serious business, even in daylight. Night flying can be just as disorienting and dangerous as flying IFR weather.  Add in mountainous terrain to night flying in remote areas and you have a fairly challenging trip.  

NTSB database is filled with stories like these.  It's always sad when the pilot takes other people down with him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm so glad there's no mountains down here or the places I want to fly
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VFR pilot into IFR is almost always fatal, mountains or not.  See JFK jr.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what you mean, I saw that Air Safety institute video with the sim and the VFR pilots getting thrown into the Sim.

I meant that It's tough enough flying over flat land that I couldn't imagine having to climb out over mountains and adjust for AGL vs MSL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How hard could it be?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How hard could it be?  

Really.  You just fly into it.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I know what you mean, I saw that Air Safety institute video with the sim and the VFR pilots getting thrown into the Sim.

I meant that It's tough enough flying over flat land that I couldn't imagine having to climb out over mountains and adjust for AGL vs MSL.
View Quote

Yep, get your private then jump into instrument right away. Its that important.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top