Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2016 12:32:05 AM EDT
I've got a few interviews with some regionals. Looking for any advice, tips, hints, etc...Specifically Envoy, piedmont, and endeavour. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Download all the gouges. Print the questions from a word document with space between each question. Write the answers underneath. Study it constantly.

Show up to the interview looking the part. Dark suit, black leather shoes, black briefcase, white shirt, conservative tie, fresh haircut, tidy logbook.

You're doing this at the ideal time. If you've got the qualifications, have a clean history, look the part, and don't say/do anything stupid during the interview then you WILL get hired.

Each regional needs you now more than you need them.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
All of what was already said.

I interviewed four years ago at PSA, air whiskey, republic, and commute air.
I have worked at commute and am currently at Republic.

All I can say is that the current environment for pilots, at least from a regional perspective, is better than I've ever seen. Everyone is hiring, everyone is short (although they're getting better at plugging the holes)  pay has increased to tolerable levels, bonus' are everywhere.

I had a buddy that washed out of Piedmont training on his check ride. They were one of the tougher training courses to go through, horror stories including them are common. Don't know how they are now. The dash is a fun plane, but you will be working. They do have a true flow with AA.

Envoy was one of the more hostile interviews I remember hearing about. Very anal, methodical and intense. Have every single hour of your time accounted for before you hand them your log book. They have been known to turn guys away for untidy log books. In addition to that, they have what I would consider to be a adversarial relationship with not only their union but with the company as well. Know your contract in your sleep, because they will take advantage of you. I hear their reserve rules are a nightmare. Plan to upgrade at around year 4-5. They do have a true flow with AA and that is a major plus, but in a few years I doubt it will really affect your ability to get hired wherever you want.

Endeavor supposedly is a great place. My buddy is in the union over there and he keeps begging me to jump ship. I'm to close to upgrade and simply am not making a third lateral move.They make good money, they have high rentention bonus, good moral, and whatever a preferential interview with Delta means these days.

Really any one of them are probably fine, but envoy would be on the bottom of my list. Study up, know your previous plane by heart, know your previous regs by heart. Pick the one that best suits you, they'll probably give you a call before you leave the building.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
As I understand it now, the Endeavor interview is conducted in the same format as Delta's now. Endeavor is basically Delta Jr. Though it's conducted in the same format and graded on a point system, the point total you'll need to be successful in the 9E interview is far lower than what DAL would demand.

Personally, I'd target whatever 121 regional has the lowest forecast upgrade time. At this stage, pic121 is by far your most important objective. That's the path to the majors. Pay attention to whatever regional is taking delivery of new airframes. Nothing shortens upgrade time like growth.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks...trying to sift through the bullshit on some of the other forums is mind numbing, and purely a waste of time as I've come to find out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks...trying to sift through the bullshit on some of the other forums is mind numbing, and purely a waste of time as I've come to find out.
View Quote

Have you checked out aviationinterviews.com?
That used to be a decent source for gouge material.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea. I guess that's what I'm going to read for the next 2-3 weeks
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]

It's a good place to start. Do you have a decent personal library of aviation texts? A lot of the technical stuff you'll want to review from the book.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
yea ive got a bunch of that stuff i'll have to dust off
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]

If you don't have one already and you've got a few bucks laying around, I do recommend the Everything Explained book. When I first saw it I was really turned off by its unusual format. All the fonts and sizes looked childish to me. But now that I've had it for a while I'll admit it really works. It's the most expansive single text I've ever used. It really covers the gamut. For all the info in it, if it was all uniform text, it'd probably be a nightmare to read. But I used it more than any other single book in my prep. Check it out if you haven't already.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad you posted this. I got an email from Envoy for an interview yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Glad you posted this. I got an email from Envoy for an interview yesterday.
View Quote

yea i've got mine on the 14th and i'm pretty retarded so i'll take any help I can get
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:41:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Wear a suit jacket regardless of the weather.

Many moons ago I was rejected by a regional because I wore a heavy sweater over my shirt and tie.

Man did I get lucky.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
so a tuxedo t-shirt and sweat pants is a no go?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know a couple guys at Envoy, I was going to borrow a uniform from them and wear it to the interview

When I was a store manager at Target, I had a lady show up for an interview wearing a red shirt and khaki pants. I thought it was hilarious and hired her, she ended up being the worst employee and my boss was really pissed at me
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know a couple guys at Envoy, I was going to borrow a uniform from them and wear it to the interview

When I was a store manager at Target, I had a lady show up for an interview wearing a red shirt and khaki pants. I thought it was hilarious and hired her, she ended up being the worst employee and my boss was really pissed at me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like she could've been employee of the month and got short changed by management
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Jecain7,

I interviewed at Envoy today and got the job offer. I can give you the gouge, I'm sure I'll see you at work before your interview.

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there any kind of Sim eval?  

read up on all the typical situational questions.  Do what VNE said.

but most of all figure out which regional you really want to work at

you are the one in the catbird seat.

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Jecain7,

I interviewed at Envoy today and got the job offer. I can give you the gouge, I'm sure I'll see you at work before your interview.

View Quote

Congratulations! Upgrade first chance you get. Get that PIC time and get the hell out!

I actually enjoyed my time at 9E. That probably means I'm mental but that's a side story. Even though I enjoyed it I still considered that regional to be my personal, professional condom. I put it on, used it as needed, then flicked it on the floor as I walked out the door. It's a means to an end. Don't get comfortable. As a matter of fact, go ahead and apply to all the majors now. I don't care if you're not qualified or competitive. Get your resume and app in and keep them updated. They love seeing guys that are dedicated and motivated. That's how they'll interpret that. Once you have the hours they'll be thrilled that you've persistently applied to them for the past year or three. Your career is about to accelerate. Try to keep up and don't get in its way.

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Congratulations! Upgrade first chance you get. Get that PIC time and get the hell out!

I actually enjoyed my time at 9E. That probably means I'm mental but that's a side story. Even though I enjoyed it I still considered that regional to be my personal, professional condom. I put it on, used it as needed, then flicked it on the floor as I walked out the door. It's a means to an end. Don't get comfortable. As a matter of fact, go ahead and apply to all the majors now. I don't care if you're not qualified or competitive. Get your resume and app in and keep them updated. They love seeing guys that are dedicated and motivated. That's how they'll interpret that. Once you have the hours they'll be thrilled that you've persistently applied to them for the past year or three. Your career is about to accelerate. Try to keep up and don't get in its way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jecain7,

This, and I also want to add: Also apply to the "Second tier" airlines.      It was something I overlooked for years, and shouldn't have.    If you get hired by one, it might get merged, or in any case, you look better with some big jet time.      As vne said, The most important thing is Don't get Comfortable.      
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Jecain7,

View Quote

Congratulations!

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jecain7,

Thanks Vne and everyone!! I plan on upgrading as soon as possible, I'm hoping for DFW as I am local. But I'm single so I am flexible.

Been flying the PC-12 135 scheduled, I'm really looking forward to Envoy. I know it's not going to be perfect, but what I hear from friends that work there; it'll be a lot better than where I'm at. Like you said, I'm looking at it as a means to an end. Whether it's American, Delta, or United; those are what I'm after. I've got a degree and a spotless FAA record (no failures, accidents/incidents etc), so I'm confident and eager to learn at the same time. I got my private just over 3 years ago, and my instrument, and commercial ASEL/AMEL this time last year. I've been very career focused these last couple years and it's pretty wild how quickly I've gotten this far.

I turned 30 the day before my interview, so not a bad gift to myself.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Jecain7,

View Quote

hit me with it!
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Tag for place holder.

I'm  so close to 1500, and applying at Envoy.

Regards Gents,

Rog
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Playing this game myself right now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where are ya applying to?
Background/experience?

I saw the OP yesterday and asked him how it went, he gave me a thumbs up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Background/experience?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Background/experience?

Any regionals or corporate operators based in Phoenix
1800 hours,commercial Multi-engine, instrument rating

So far Skywest is at the top of my list.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Background/experience?

Mesa!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Got a conditional offer from envoy today, not 100% sure I'm going to sign it, but it's nice to at least have one down and a few to go. Then I can pick whichever one will work best for me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I just applied there as well. How was the interview?  Do you have a gouge?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Skywest gouge from today if anyone wants it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just applied there as well. How was the interview?  Do you have a gouge?
View Quote

It's easy, I studied the gouge and was fully prepared. If you gouge for Envoy shoot me an email and I can send it to you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#32]
fairly easy, paper work is the biggest pain. Lot of jepp chart questions, read a metar, takeoff/destination alternate req's, favorite color, etc. If you check out the gouge on the aviation interviews site, you'll be good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top