Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 7:59:59 PM EDT
Just curious if any of you have experienced this. I have a non-WAAS GNS530. Out of nowhere during a flight I get a message about a memory card being removed. After landing, I powered the unit down, removed and reinserted the memory cards and powered it up with no luck. I reprogrammed the memory card and it appeared to successfully program and verify the data, but upon inserting it and turning the GNS530 back on, I still got a series of messages that stated "No Jeppesen Aviation Database." On the GPS status page, it says "TER FAIL". Other error messages include "No basemap data available", "No Terrain Database Available", but it says "US Obstacle Database and has the old date from 2005 and there's a US Airport Terrain Database version and cycle as well.

I'm thinking that maybe my navdata memory card is bad and the first thing I'll try is to find someone who has a non-waas 430/530 and try their navdata card. I was just curious if anyone has seen these and could tell me that their experience was a bad data card as I'm not particularly fond of the thousands of dollars it would cost to do an unplanned WAAS upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had similar things happen with Garmin 165 before. It was a bad card.  Don't remember if reprogramming the card fixed it, or it was a permanent failure
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had similar things happen with Garmin 165 before. It was a bad card.  Don't remember if reprogramming the card fixed it, or it was a permanent failure
View Quote

This was the issue with mine. I reprogrammed the data card, it appeared to erase, program and verify successfully, but the GNS530 stilled failed and had no NAV or TERRAIN (from the other data card) data. Replacing the NAVDATA data card fixed the issue.

And, as an additional note for those of you with dual nav systems, I discovered when I needed to load the new datacard that since I purchase the "Americas" data set for an additional $50 or so, that it includes two copies of the US NAVDATA, one for the US/Caribbean and one for US/Canada.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#3]
When is the last time you had your prop/engine checked for dynamic balance?  Vibration kills electronics and avionics.  It only costs a couple hundy to have it done.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had it done a couple times since I've had the plane. I've put around 800 hours on it thus far. The data card was from 2003 IIRC so it had quite a few cycles on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top