Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 7:24:03 PM EDT
Airline management everywhere must be having a giant collective orgasm over the possibilities here.  Eliminate all those pesky pilots=profits unimagined before.

Skynet becomes self aware, and all that jaz.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Airline management everywhere must be having a giant collective orgasm over the possibilities here.  Eliminate all those pesky pilots=profits unimagined before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh__owcYXkk&feature=youtu.be

Skynet becomes self aware, and all that jaz.
View Quote

I've been saying for years that as soon as an accountant can justify it airliners will become single pilot because of this tech.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure it will be the freighters first, less bodies to count if something goes wrong.  I was really hoping to make it the next 15 years to retirement, before this shit took off, but now I'm betting I won't.  I will. however, never ride in the back of an airplane with a robot "pilot" and it's human "assistant".

I know it will never happen, but at the first indication of this making it's way into commercial aviation, every employed pilot in the world should refuse to show up for work.  But when the senior guys get offered half the FO's pay to fly with HAL, I'm sure they will cave.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Flight engineers have already been eliminated.

Bob Crandall (supposedly) once said that as soon as he could figure out how to run an airline without pilots, he would do it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a few family members that design navaid avionics for Thales and Airbus.

They claim that aircraft will not become much more automated than today because the liability of crashes will transfer from the airlines to the manufacturers. With humans up front the airlines will continue to take the fall.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Abiashun, bean berry, berry goo to me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I think anyone with even a passing knowledge of how to conduct cyber attacks would make short work of a system like this.

Certainly any national level actor could, and will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top