Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2016 11:36:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Years ago I watched them free fall at the Andrews air show. Can't wait to see where the pilots take it in another decade or two.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Kicking it's little feet like a duck.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw an F-22 at an air show last year. It was absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That plane loves to fly so much.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The USAF said they needed 400 or so of these, then the program was canceled because the F35 would be operational shortly...That was eight years ago. We need 400-500 F22's and our allies Israel, Australia and Japan should be allowed to buy them also.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The USAF said they needed 400 or so of these, then the program was canceled because the F35 would be operational shortly...That was eight years ago. We need 400-500 F22's and our allies Israel, Australia and Japan should be allowed to buy them also.
View Quote

I wonder if they will cut the f35 short for what is next.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome maneuvers, and really good videography too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That plane loves to fly so much.
View Quote

F22 is just an amazing aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Vectored thrust

Engines that seem to be almost stall-proof in tail slides and crazy yaw rates like that slow thrust vectored flat spin.

F4 hell.. The F14A would compressor stall if you yawed more than a bit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Vectored thrust

Engines that seem to be almost stall-proof in tail slides and crazy yaw rates like that slow thrust vectored flat spin.

F4 hell.. The F14A would compressor stall if you yawed more than a bit.
View Quote

That's supposed to be an Achilles Heel for new Raptor pilots.
Since 22°/sec turn rate isn't hot rod enough, they'll thrust vector to push the nose around faster, killing their airspeed.

That's when the Vipers pounce on them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting that the elevons operate independently.  IAlso interesting is that the Russians still do not have entirely smokeless engines.  I am assuming that the maneuvers shown are well within its' capabilities, and not revealing information of value to a potential adversary.
View Quote

You would be surprised what an airshow can reveal about an aircraft's performance.  However, perf usually isn't what is withheld or what wins the war.  

Most FBW control surfaces can and will operate independently.  Some aircraft have failure modes in which control surfaces won't operate and it will be transparent to the pilot as far as aero performance (bells and whistles will be going off).
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Planes shouldn't be able to do that!

I saw the Raptor demo team at Nellis 2 years ago.  I'm going again this year with my dad (F4 Navigator) to watch the last flight of the Phantom.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Comparing an F-22 to an F-4 is silly.  It'd be like asking a Jenny to go supersonic.

In its day the Phantom was a heck of an airplane.  The F-22 though amazing likely won't last as long as a front line aircraft.  That isn't a slight to the F-22.  Improvements in construction materials alone are coming are some pretty rapid rates.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Comparing an F-22 to an F-4 is silly.  It'd be like asking a Jenny to go supersonic.

In its day the Phantom was a heck of an airplane.  The F-22 though amazing likely won't last as long as a front line aircraft.  That isn't a slight to the F-22.  Improvements in construction materials alone are coming are some pretty rapid rates.
View Quote

As a front line fighter f4 20 maybe 25 years; later years weren't as a front line fighter.  The F22 has been 10, about half way there.  The acquisitions cycle is rediciulously long now; I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses the f4 in length of time as a front line fighter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Amazing control surface action...  Not just the amount of deflection, but the rate too.  Impressive on so many levels.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

We certainly didn't build 5500 F-22s either, or operate them with three services.  The F-35 can't hold a candle to the capability and versatility the might Phantom II brought to the table, and I doubt it ever will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top