Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2016 6:26:45 PM EDT
I flew in an aerobatic contest in Newton, KS a little over a week ago; it was the first time I'd flown in a regional contest and flew with four other competitors.   The lineup was all Pitts Specials of various types except for my RV-6A.   If you've never flown in a contest before, it's worth checking out I think.   Even if you don't fly in one, just watching for the day is interesting and it's totally free of charge to observe and check stuff out.

A quick recap of the trip:  

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

Did you redo the panel?  For some reason it looks different than I remember it from this past April.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice.

Did you redo the panel?  For some reason it looks different than I remember it from this past April.
View Quote

It got a Dynon Skyview system last winter, and this winter it's getting an Avidyne IFD540 and some other bits.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Well done!
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I fly into Newton all the time for work and notice all of the previous acro-event posters (and the BD-5) tucked in the hangar corner. Perhaps I'll be there in my own Pitts someday.

Well done video!

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on the solid finish
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I fly into Newton all the time for work and notice all of the previous acro-event posters (and the BD-5) tucked in the hangar corner. Perhaps I'll be there in my own Pitts someday.

Well done video!

View Quote

It was really cool to visit Newton - lots of cool history there.   I wandered around when I wasn't recording or doing something else.   The BD-5 was pretty cool as were some of the decaying aircraft off to the side of the action.  Neat place.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#7]
That was good. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!
Tom didn't go with you then.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Congrats!
Tom didn't go with you then.
View Quote

Nope - much too far for his bird to travel in a reasonable amount of time.  Besides, he's not interested in this stuff - only dogfighting.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Beat two other Pitts and a second place in your first contest? Nice work sir!!!

That plane should travel well...you should come out to our contest in Ohio next year. Father's Day weekend.

ETA: Wait...guess that's pretty far.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, I used to fly for a company that had a plant in Newton.  That brought back some bad memories.  Good job on the airshow!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice video but it looks like your tailwheel is mounted on the wrong end.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice video but it looks like your tailwheel is mounted on the wrong end.
View Quote

Then again, I made the ~450nm trip nonstop between 10 and 12 thousand feet in light rain and IMC, doing ~170ktas on ~7GPH while listening to music and enjoying a light snack.   The autopilot followed the IFR GPS' navigation while I monitored the flight on the PFD and MFD.   After landing, I had two hour's fuel remaining which was about and hour and a half more than needed for flying the contest.  I'll tolerate the nose wheel.  If I have to.  I guess.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That plane should travel well...you should come out to our contest in Ohio next year. Father's Day weekend.

View Quote

It's only about 15 minutes further away than Newton :-)
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well in that case you have no excuse!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top