Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2016 3:41:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The A380 was an interesting concept, but the 747 platform still has a lot of life left in it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe AB will give them away and I might have a chance of flying one.  I doubt it, I can't see how they can make money without being supplemented by the government.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe AB will give them away and I might have a chance of flying one.  I doubt it, I can't see how they can make money without being supplemented by the government.
View Quote

Other than the narrowbody fleet and legacy light helos, that's every Airbus product.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Other than the narrowbody fleet and legacy light helos, that's every Airbus product.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current carrier is making money off of them.  Fuel burn is similar to my previous single seat airplane; I was shocked.  Sorry skipped right over the NB part.  Not sure on the 330 or soon to be 350.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Comes in here everyday, about 1330-1400L.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised no one has (yet) gone Freddie Laker with a couple of A380s and started flying 700-800+ of the unwashed masses packed in an all-economy configuration between JFK and Heathrow or Gatwick (especially if USCBP pre-clearance is implemented at LHR, as proposed). Maybe it will happen as A380s start leaving Singapore and Emirates?

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm surprised no one has (yet) gone Freddie Laker with a couple of A380s and started flying 700-800+ of the unwashed masses packed in an all-economy configuration between JFK and Heathrow or Gatwick (especially if USCBP pre-clearance is implemented at LHR, as proposed). Maybe it will happen as A380s start leaving Singapore and Emirates?

View Quote

No room for bags or cargo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe convert them to water bombers? :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
You could haul a double shit-load of illegals back across the creek using them big sumbiches as a shuttle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You could haul a double shit-load of illegals back across the creek using them big sumbiches as a shuttle.
View Quote

Rows and rows of jump seats.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

On second thought we ought fix all the old C-5's and load them with "para-illegals" and mass air drop them across the creek.

That would vastly increase our exports.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that was how they're used in asia.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful plane to look at, but a pain-in-the-ass to work with (wake turbulence/taxi route restrictions/post-take-off rwy sweep).
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember seeing one at an airport one time, It made the other planes look small.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the problems with the A380 is that it does not have main gear steering capability. The gear are fixed which places extra wear on the tires which are very expensive. The 747 has body gear steering. I heard they only get 10 cycles out of the 380 tires.

Any big jet needs to be full of passengers to make money. Only certain routes can support 400+ loads...
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I heard they only get 10 cycles out of the 380 tires.

View Quote
Wow. That is insane.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow. That is insane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. That is insane.

It was built as a Franco-Arabian vanity project.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like Air France may have stopped using it for the KIAD-LFPG AFR54/55 route.  It had been mostly 380 with a 777 occasionally.  Only 777 for the past week.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Beautiful plane to look at, but a pain-in-the-ass to work with (wake turbulence/taxi route restrictions/post-take-off rwy sweep).
View Quote

I think you might be the first person I've ever heard say that aircraft is beautiful.

Personally, I think it looks like the aeronautical equivalent of this guy.

Look at the forehead on this thing.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#20]
For all the hassle it creates, it is graceful for its size. No complaints about performance either (better that the A340...that thing is a dog).

As for Air France no longer using it out of IAD...they typically run it during the summer tourist season, then go back to using B777's the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Outside of the Concorde, I've always had a soft spot for the aesthetics of the 747, 727, and 757.

The A380 is definitely not one I'd put in the wholly unscientific "good looking" category, but if there is one visually striking aspect of the aircraft it is the wing. It's a work of art. The fact that it was designed to accommodate a (higher weight) "stretch" of the current aircraft may have played a part, but it has some nice lines from behind. As for the fuselage it is attached to? Not such a big fan. . . .

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Comes in here everyday, about 1330-1400L.

http://www.pbase.com/david_3/image/164087415/original.jpg
View Quote

I enjoy being on the ramp when they come in!! Makes everything else seem tiny in comparison. I guess Emirates was not keeping them full of pax.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow. That is insane.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. That is insane.

It's not correct. It's closer to 300 landings.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I've flown on those a couple of times from Hong Kong to LAX in business class. Very nice set up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:32:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I rode on one yesterday.  Bangkok to Dubai.   It was mostly empty.  It had maybe 125 passengers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:06:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I rode on one yesterday.  Bangkok to Dubai.   It was mostly empty.  It had maybe 125 passengers.
View Quote

Your IM inbox is full
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#27]
This subject has been broached before, but it looks like someone (Malaysia Airlines) is going to finally do it - a high-density configured A380.

This sounds like it will be a fun flight to be on. . .

MAS to use A380s for pilgrimages, up seats to 700

by Aaron Chong - Singapore

Flight International

21 October 2016

Malaysia Airlines will transfer its six Airbus A380 aircraft to a subsidiary carrier focused on religious pilgrimage flights, and greatly boost total seating capacity.

Speaking to FlightGlobal, carrier chief executive Peter Bellew says the subsidiary airline will have a separate AOC with a sales office operational by December 2016 and flight operations to commence by the third-quarter of 2018.

As a start, the carrier will focus on mainly the seasonal Hajj and Umrah pilgrimage services.

Bellew adds that the aircraft will have around 700 all-economy seats, an increase of 200 from their current 496. The refurbishments will be carried out by Airbus "in a low-cost manner”, he adds.

Malaysia Airlines is confident of the new unit’s business prospects, and has been approached by third parties interested in investing in the venture.

"A substantial number of widebody aircraft, including other A380s and Boeing 747s will be needing C and D-checks by 2018 and further aircraft will come off-lease,” Bellew explains. "The new airline will be able to provide the much-needed capacity during that period of time”. . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top