Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2016 10:13:50 PM EDT
Learning lots in this Aviation Forum but was wondering if anyone knows of a dedicated Aviation forum out there that would be the "arfcom" for private pilot aviation types?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Jetcareers.com used to be a wealth of information but about four years ago it turned into a liberal love-fest. It's not worth a damn anymore.

For private pilots, and not professionals, you can learn a great deal at the specialty boards. Each type of aircraft has devoted boards (Mooney, piper, maul, Cessna...)

It's not specific information which is what you're looking for but it may point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jetcareers.com used to be a wealth of information but about four years ago it turned into a liberal love-fest. It's not worth a damn anymore.

For private pilots, and not professionals, you can learn a great deal at the specialty boards. Each type of aircraft has devoted boards (Mooney, piper, maul, Cessna...)

It's not specific information which is what you're looking for but it may point you in the right direction.
View Quote

Liberal love fest??  Are these guys on jet careers wanting to be pro pilots with this liberal ideology?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
PPRUNE.com is the closest I know of to being like ARFcom.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Liberal love fest??  Are these guys on jet careers wanting to be pro pilots with this liberal ideology?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's besieged by some serious libtard loonies, who knows what they want.  Most of them already are pros. For that reason I'll never apply to Delta because one of the nuttiest is on the hiring / training boards.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's besieged by some serious libtard loonies, who knows what they want.  Most of them already are pros. For that reason I'll never apply to Delta because one of the nuttiest is on the hiring / training boards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that there is the occasional nutzo lib who is a pro pilot but I thought it was few and far between.   I thought (or maybe hoped) that those wanting to be pro pilots shared a common personality type (driven, want to be the best, no excuses, no BS, etc).  That's the personality type of my captain friends but it may be the reason we are friends is because we share that trait.  If I had to share the cockpit with some whiney POS lib I would lose it.

Maybe many on that sight are millennials.  That would just about explain it.  Probably feel they should go from a c150 straight to left seat of a 787.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Airline pilot central forums seem to be where the cool kids hang out nowadays, but it can come to remind you of GD here sometimes. It was flightinfo.com when I was first getting into the industry, but that site is pretty much dead now.

Jetcarrers is ok for people learning to fly and looking up, but I had honestly forgotten about that one until I was reminded of it here in this thread.

Pprune.org is great for the international scene, and their tech Ops forum is awesome for airplane nerds like myself.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
try verticalreference.  I only played around the .mil section there but it seemed like a helpful board.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut? So is the nut in pilot recruitment or the school house? Probably isn't both. Not that it matters because every department will have at least one lib.
So you'd be willing to ignore a potential career worth millions that would have you flying with a cadre of amazing individuals, mostly of a military background, and 95% of which are of a conservative mindset, because of the offhand chance you might run into a liberal loon at the interview?
I hate to tell you this but every major airline is gonna have at least 1 liberal working on an interview team. Every department from Planning to Scheduling to Flight Ops and for damn certain Inflight will have a few liberals, a few jerks, a few of this and a lot of that. It's unavoidable. Just do your job, have fun, be sociable, be honest about who you are while being respectful and never apologize for it. Then collect your fat ass paycheck and enjoy your time off. But don't punish yourself by eliminating the possibility of an amazing career because of one jackass.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wut? So is the nut in pilot recruitment or the school house? Probably isn't both. Not that it matters because every department will have at least one lib.
So you'd be willing to ignore a potential career worth millions that would have you flying with a cadre of amazing individuals, mostly of a military background, and 95% of which are of a conservative mindset, because of the offhand chance you might run into a liberal loon at the interview?
I hate to tell you this but every major airline is gonna have at least 1 liberal working on an interview team. Every department from Planning to Scheduling to Flight Ops and for damn certain Inflight will have a few liberals, a few jerks, a few of this and a lot of that. It's unavoidable. Just do your job, have fun, be sociable, be honest about who you are while being respectful and never apologize for it. Then collect your fat ass paycheck and enjoy your time off. But don't punish yourself by eliminating the possibility of an amazing career because of one jackass

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to tell you this but every major airline is gonna have at least 1 liberal working on an interview team. Every department from Planning to Scheduling to Flight Ops and for damn certain Inflight will have a few liberals, a few jerks, a few of this and a lot of that. It's unavoidable. Just do your job, have fun, be sociable, be honest about who you are while being respectful and never apologize for it. Then collect your fat ass paycheck and enjoy your time off. But don't punish yourself by eliminating the possibility of an amazing career because of one jackass

I'm not 100% certain what his position is within the company but he routinely speaks of writing training manuals, crafting standards, and conducting new-hire interviews. Several other "southern jets" pilots, including the JC founder, back him at every turn so I have no reason to doubt his statements.

I'm not writing delta off because of one guy, per se. I'm writing delta off because of the culture championed by a dozen guys on the board who fly for them. I ran into that style of elitism at another airline and it caused me to doubt my own skills and move on because I didn't fit their mold and kiss their rings. This particular poster has said outright that he would voice his opposition to my application.

With my specific background it would be easy for him to pick me out. I can't take the risk of getting into the sim and have him torpedo my training and my career.

There are plenty of other majors to work for, southwest is hiring and I've got a good buddy who carries significant weight, plus I have a unique job now that pays well and keeps me home 340 nights a year.

A simple cost benefit analysis dictates my writing delta off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:54:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not 100% certain what his position is within the company but he routinely speaks of writing training manuals, crafting standards, and conducting new-hire interviews. Several other "southern jets" pilots, including the JC founder, back him at every turn so I have no reason to doubt his statements.

I'm not writing delta off because of one guy, per se. I'm writing delta off because of the culture championed by a dozen guys on the board who fly for them. I ran into that style of elitism at another airline and it caused me to doubt my own skills and move on because I didn't fit their mold and kiss their rings. This particular poster has said outright that he would voice his opposition to my application.

With my specific background it would be easy for him to pick me out. I can't take the risk of getting into the sim and have him torpedo my training and my career.

There are plenty of other majors to work for, southwest is hiring and I've got a good buddy who carries significant weight, plus I have a unique job now that pays well and keeps me home 340 nights a year.

View Quote

I still hate to hear you write off a place because of a few Internet loudmouths. I can assure you that the average Delta pilot spends very little time on internet chat forums let alone aviation chat forums. Most of them wouldn't have a clue as to what sites to visit anyway. The average Delta pilot really isn't much different than your average American, United, SWA, etc pilot. We're all pretty much cut from the same cloth because the jobs are all pretty much the same. Personally, I sometimes think the most important thing to consider in which airline to join is which one has a domicile closest to where you want to live.
Also, I'll bet you'd be a bit more difficult to pick out by your resume than you think. If I'm not mistaken, you and I have somewhat similar backgrounds. I flew for Cape Smythe out of Barrow, Dead Horse, Kotz and Nome. I was thinking you used to do something similar or still do. Everyone that interviewed me saw that kind of thing as being a real strength. I'm sure you'd do better than you'd think in a Delta interview and could perform nearly flawlessly with the right coaching. Fuck the naysayers. Shotgun as many resumes to as many airlines as you can. Then you're either getting great interview practice or a great job. Go with whomever offers you a job first.
You know SWA is just a high paying regional, right? Good pay but no variety. To each his own though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]
www.warbirdinformationexchange.com is a really good one if you're into old planes
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I still hate to hear you write off a place because of a few Internet loudmouths. I can assure you that the average Delta pilot spends very little time on internet chat forums let alone aviation chat forums. Most of them wouldn't have a clue as to what sites to visit anyway. The average Delta pilot really isn't much different than your average American, United, SWA, etc pilot. We're all pretty much cut from the same cloth because the jobs are all pretty much the same. Personally, I sometimes think the most important thing to consider in which airline to join is which one has a domicile closest to where you want to live.
Also, I'll bet you'd be a bit more difficult to pick out by your resume than you think. If I'm not mistaken, you and I have somewhat similar backgrounds. I flew for Cape Smythe out of Barrow, Dead Horse, Kotz and Nome. I was thinking you used to do something similar or still do. Everyone that interviewed me saw that kind of thing as being a real strength. I'm sure you'd do better than you'd think in a Delta interview and could perform nearly flawlessly with the right coaching. Fuck the naysayers. Shotgun as many resumes to as many airlines as you can. Then you're either getting great interview practice or a great job. Go with whomever offers you a job first.
You know SWA is just a high paying regional, right? Good pay but no variety. To each his own though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone I know who flies for WN is happy with great family lives, that's my main goal in life. Dallas, Orlando the BWI area is where I see myself for the rest of my life so WN is a good fit for me followed by AA.

As far as my resume, on JC it's well known that I flew in AK, have my A&P and spent five years flying tactical unmanned aircraft before getting back into manned aviation.  

The break in my logbook makes me stick out even if I didn't list my unmanned experience.

/7500
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top