Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2016 10:34:02 AM EDT
Cheap and dominate fighters that were born out of necessity? Not sure what other fighters you can add to that list but modern stealth technology and defense contractors feeding at the trough seem to have killed "cheap"...
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  And the f16 of today is not cheap and not really representative of the original as far as cheap goes; same thing for super hornets compared to the yf17
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Comparatively speaking, I'm sure the f16 is still cheap.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Comparatively speaking, I'm sure the f16 is still cheap.
View Quote

Not really, I think a 2010 estimate for the f16 was 60 mil.  That was back when the f35 was cheap.  New sensors, better on board computers, engines, stealth coating, etc. drove up the cost, same with the Rhino.  It is still less than a  35 or 22, but it is limited in what can be done to it.  

I agree that we need something a little more disposable, like A4s.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe for drone operators.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Latest block F-16's are over 80 mil. The F-35A is about 95mil.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]
SAAB is trying.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in Manassas, VA for work, and 3 or 4 marines flew in something made by textron that was supposedly going to be a low cost fighter...a scorpion or something.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was in Manassas, VA for work, and 3 or 4 marines flew in something made by textron that was supposedly going to be a low cost fighter...a scorpion or something.
View Quote

In the last 4 years?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In the last 4 years?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the last 4 years?

Textron AirLand Scorpion

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the last 4 years?

Textron AirLand Scorpion

http://www.scorpionjet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/National_Guard_Cover_ColorAdjusted_cropped.png

Nothing about the Marines, just AF and Guard.  I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about it is why I ask. There were some others I saw and one that is being used (I think); all similar in performance and suitable for the mission.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Will there be another Kelly Johnson or Col. John Boyd?
View Quote

One can dream.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top