Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 9:56:10 PM EDT
Credit to David Kern and his Twitter page.  He caught Northrop-Grumman's "clean sheet" T-X prototype performing high-speed taxiing tests at Mojave (MHV / KMHV) today (19-Aug-2016).

As described by those who saw a model revealed (but not allowed to be photographed) earlier this year, it does indeed resemble a re-imagined single-engined T-38. Apparently NG's Scaled Composites built the prototype. Also of interest, the aircraft appears to be powered by a non-afterburning GE F404 engine (And checking the registration - N400NT - at the FAA site seems to confirm that - "Engine Model - F404-GE-102D").  Looks can be deceiving, but it looks far lighter than LockMart/KAI's T-50A, or even Northrop's F404 (w/afterburner)-powered F-5G/F-20. Also, given the seemingly small size of the airframe, I'd would love to know where the boom receptacle (and accompanying plumbing) will go (assuming this bird hasn't either)?

See:

https://twitter.com/David_Kern/status/766720549322051584

https://twitter.com/David_Kern/status/766720972376281089

https://twitter.com/David_Kern/status/766672289618272256

*** UPDATE *** BOEING/SAAB T-X Teaser Images - 22-August-2016

Boeing/SAAB now respond with some hints as to their T-X design to be revealed in September 2016.

Aviation Week's James Drew tweets a couple of teaser images from Boeing/SAAB of their T-X demonstrator design. Stepped cockpits as one would expect on a trainer design and a shoulder mounted wing. PLUS - Another image from AvWeek's Tony Osborne which may suggest the aircraft's planform (note the stylized maneuver chart backdrop to each of the images).

See:

https://twitter.com/JamesDrewNews/status/767747706190176256

https://twitter.com/JamesDrewNews/status/767746864754094081

*** Tony Osborne's (AvWeek) 22-Aug-16 tweet: "I wonder if this is clue to the planform of @BoeingDefense T-X, a mix of F-35 and X-15..."

https://twitter.com/Rotorfocus/status/767758657140432896

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a hopped up F-5 / F-20.

I like it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the lines on that aircraft!
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Gorgeous little bird..!

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#4]

I'm still partial to the T-38 but that's pretty hot.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Also, given the seemingly small size of the airframe, I'd would love to know where the boom receptacle (and accompanying plumbing) will go (assuming this bird hasn't either)?

View Quote
As I recall from the RFP the requirement isn't to be air refueling receiver capable, only to have a slipway for dry contacts.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As I recall from the RFP the requirement isn't to be air refueling receiver capable, only to have a slipway for dry contacts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, given the seemingly small size of the airframe, I'd would love to know where the boom receptacle (and accompanying plumbing) will go (assuming this bird hasn't either)?

Right. Which makes Northrop-Grumman and Boeing/SAAB's approaches to the RFP most interesting. They can really refine their designs at the most "efficient" vis-à-vis the RFP, versus LockMart/KAI's and Aermacchi ("Leonardo")/Raytheon's off-the-shelf offerings which have already gone through the rigors of testing and production engineering - not to mention they are already built structurally accounting for a significant (T-50) or secondary (M-346) combat capability.

Rumors surrounding the Boeing/SAAB aircraft (which has yet to be revealed) are that it is a "Gripen-lite," with a new planform (sans canards).  It will be interesting to see if it is as "lean" as the Northrop-Grumman proposal, or if it falls somewhere in between that and the heavier T-50.

Here is a June 13, 2016 photo of what is widely believed to be the main fuselage of the Boeing/SAAB T-X airframe being flown from Sweden to Boeing in St. Louis. This would seem to suggest Boeing/SAAB's proposal will be closer to the T-50 end of the spectrum in terms of size and weight.

See more:

Did Boeing Receive a T-X Prototype from SAAB?

by Aaron Mehta

Defense News

June 14, 2016

**More info & photos at the story linked at title ***

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
just kill it and eat it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Boeing/SAAB are now set to reveal their T-X demonstrator in September 2016.  See tweets and "teaser" images now added to the original post.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
So sad to see all those 747-400s.  Love flying in that plane.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Reminds me of the ParkZone Habu electric RC plane.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Boom receptacle?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Would this new trainer be better with a after burning engine?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Boom receptacle?
View Quote
For dry connections to get the basics down on a cheaper airframe.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boom receptacle?

Interesting....anybody know if the plan is to have these things at B courses, or incorporate tanker support into the IFF syllabus maybe?

Seems like an unnecessary requirement to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#17]
But then again, what the hell do I know...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I think it's cute.

My old man would have gotten a kick out of it.  As an instructor pilot he flew about eleventy thousand hours in T-38s... said it was one of the most fun aircraft he ever flew.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Interesting....anybody know if the plan is to have these things at B courses, or incorporate tanker support into the IFF syllabus maybe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boom receptacle?

The RFP called for a lot of systems in the jet that don't exist in the T-38s today such as NVG compatibility, threat sensor simulation, data link, and other things so just where they are going to be used in the pipeline (or how the pipeline will change to leverage them) I couldn't tell you.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The RFP called for a lot of systems in the jet that don't exist in the T-38s today such as NVG compatibility, threat sensor simulation, data link, and other things so just where they are going to be used in the pipeline (or how the pipeline will change to leverage them) I couldn't tell you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also interesting...sounds like a pretty major overhaul is planned. Though I suppose that's to be expected when going back to single track from the SUPT structure they have now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:14:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow!  It looks amazingly similar to an Il-76!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. Which makes Northrop-Grumman and Boeing/SAAB's approaches to the RFP most interesting. They can really refine their designs at the most "efficient" vis-à-vis the RFP, versus LockMart/KAI's and Aermacchi ("Leonardo")/Raytheon's off-the-shelf offerings which have already gone through the rigors of testing and production engineering - not to mention they are already built structurally accounting for a significant (T-50) or secondary (M-346) combat capability.  

Rumors surrounding the Boeing/SAAB aircraft (which has yet to be revealed) are that it is a "Gripen-lite," with a new planform (sans canards).  It will be interesting to see if it is as "lean" as the Northrop-Grumman proposal, or if it falls somewhere in between that and the heavier T-50.

Here is a June 13, 2016 photo of what is widely believed to be the main fuselage of the Boeing/SAAB T-X airframe being flown from Sweden to Boeing in St. Louis. This would seem to suggest Boeing/SAAB's proposal will be closer to the T-50 end of the spectrum in terms of size and weight.
See more:
Did Boeing Receive a T-X Prototype from SAAB?
by Aaron Mehta
Defense News
June 14, 2016
**More info & photos at the story linked at title ***
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck1NMxSWYAAubcf.jpg

Wow!  It looks amazingly similar to an Il-76!

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I gotta say that I think the T-X looks sexier.

Of course, I haven't the slightest idea about either of these planes' performance or even about the intended syllabus for the T-X UPT program, so who cares what looks better.

I WILL say, though, that I'm not a huge fan of both prototypes being (and therefore by assumption, the RFP requiring) a single engine trainer. With the T-6, this means that Air Force pilots will now go through all of primary pilot training and receive their wings having never shot a single engine approach (or more accurately, an OEI approach since all of their approaches are technically single engine), having never calculated single-engine drift down performance, having never performed a V1 cut, or having never had a discussion about what critical field length is (to list only a few examples). It seems to me that depriving students of dual engine training--when it's required in nearly any other professional pilot career field--is a disservice.

But presumably, this argument has been raised more than once at levels way above my own, and the Air Force saw a rationale behind it. I just hope that rationale was sound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top