Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 12:39:01 PM EDT
My CFI had a friends 201 in the Mx shop yesterday and while we were waiting to get something fixed in the 172 I was checking it out.

Seems to be about the same fit as the 172 in the front, I feel sorry for adults who sit in the back though

It now makes sense how you fit in there, the seats are pretty much on the floor like a GM F-body.

Sexy plane.

It was also in there getting it's annual and the front cover was off and there sure isn't a lot to an airplane at the end of the day I am learning.

On a side note, I was very proud of myself since I found a swawk on the 172 while I was pre-flighting the airplane that needed to be fixed before we flew.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My CFI had a friends 201 in the Mx shop yesterday and while we were waiting to get something fixed in the 172 I was checking it out.

Seems to be about the same fit as the 172 in the front, I feel sorry for adults who sit in the back though

It now makes sense how you fit in there, the seats are pretty much on the floor like a GM F-body.

Sexy plane.

It was also in there getting it's annual and the front cover was off and there sure isn't a lot to an airplane at the end of the day I am learning.

On a side note, I was very proud of myself since I found a swawk on the 172 while I was pre-flighting the airplane that needed to be fixed before we flew.
View Quote

Great plane, My second after a 182. Wanted a fast 200hp retract. 201 was the fastest by far of the group. Great IFR solid controlls,
all pushrods. Never once worried about pulling the wings off, solid spar. Wet wings suck, 208 SB/AD sucks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]

A couple of interesting attributes of the Mooney's.  First they are not full monocoque construction like a 172. The forward portion of the fuselage has a tubular steel frame sheathed with aluminum panels. The aft fuselage is semi-monocoque construction.  Second, the entire empennage pivots, that is how the pitch trim works, the rear bulkhead has a pretty beefy bracket that serves as the tails attachment and pivot point:

Also, as you probably saw looking at the airplane, the landing gear incorporates rubber "biscuits" as shock absorbers.  The older M20's (the A's and B's IIRC) had wooden wings. The M20C's made the change to metal.  Finally, in almost all of the Mooney's up through the M20E's the landing gear was operated manually using a Johnson bar to haul up or push down the gear. No electric gear except in some rare cases.  Electrics became standard with the M20F's. The flaps however, were hydraulic.  They are raised and lowered using a small manual pump.  They are rugged airplanes, I have several friends who own them and swear by them.  With some aerodynamic cleanups the older M20's can be pretty speedy.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be more than happy to take you up one of these days if I find myself in your neck of the woods. You can always go to the type-specific forums: beechtalk, mooneyspace, cardinal flyers, et cetera, express an interest in the type and see if there's someone around who's willing to take you up.

A 172 flies like a mid-1980s Buick drives and feels like you're hanging on one of those sky-lift rides at a fair.
A 182 feels like a full-sized pickup.
A Mooney feels like a BMW 3-series.
A Bonanza would be your BMW 7-series.
An extra feels like you're coupled to rails like you're driving on a steel rollercoaster.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be more than happy to take you up one of these days if I find myself in your neck of the woods. You can always go to the type-specific forums: beechtalk, mooneyspace, cardinal flyers, et cetera, express an interest in the type and see if there's someone around who's willing to take you up.

A 172 flies like a mid-1980s Buick drives and feels like you're hanging on one of those sky-lift rides at a fair.
A 182 feels like a full-sized pickup.
A Mooney feels like a BMW 3-series.
A Bonanza would be your BMW 7-series.
An extra feels like you're coupled to rails like you're driving on a steel rollercoaster.
View Quote

I'll take you up on that offer and pay for fuel if you ever find your way down here.

the 172 does feel like a gondola.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top