Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 11:28:16 AM EDT
Title says it all!

Who's going to Reno this year?

The unlimited field is pretty weak this year; no Strega (so far) or Rare Bear.  Voodoo was running real good during PRS (with Strega's prop) and should be a lock for the gold if she holds together.  Sport class is always fun to watch and the Formula 1 class is set to have their largest field ever.

Blue Angels will be there as well so overall, it should be a decent week.

I'm set to be there Friday - Sunday
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
On my bucket list but not this year.

Please keep informed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
       Strega and Rare Bear are definitely sitting it out this year.  Unfortunately the Unlimited field will be pretty thin with only nine registered in the class at the time registration closed.  Several of those are stock P-51's.  The field looks like this:

Voodoo

Czech Mate

Dreadnought

Argonaut

Sawbones

Lylia (Yak 11)

Sparky

Rebel

While the unlimited field is pretty modest, Formula 1 has a full field for the first time since 2004.  Sport Class also has a completely full field so there will be lots of good racing in both those classes.  Rumors are circulating about a new fast bipe in the Biplane Class and the T-6's and Jet's always put on a good show.  The Blue Angels will be heading up the airshow portion of the weekend which people always love.  

Definitely looking forward to it, hoping for great weather!

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be there again from Wednesday to Sunday. Sad about the unlimited showing. At least Czechmate is supposed to be there. Is Strega ever gonna fly again?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
does miss america still race?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
It all has to do with prize money, rules, prize money and prize money.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
does miss america still race?
View Quote

Not in years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It all has to do with prize money, rules, prize money and prize money.
View Quote

And lots of purse swinging and middle school drama. The race's days are numbered at this rate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I try to go every year. I think Thursday or Friday this year.  :)
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello all, its me again.  You can call me an official "fan-boy" of the NCAR or just a die hard fan, but fact of the matter is, is that there is a TON of people bashing the NCAR this year.  Yeah, the unlimited field is as thin as I can remember, but the racing in the other classes will be the best it has ever been.  We all know the Sport class is the future of air racing as the cost of a WWII warbird is growing by the second, let a lone a full-race warbird.  The Reno Air Racing Association (RARA) knows the situation they are in and knows what the future holds for them, but they are doing new things this year to gain/grow interest in this event (concerts after the races on Friday and Saturday night, T-6 head to head racing, etc...)

We all know true unlimited racing is fading away fast, but the Sport class is growing everyday and with the return of Race 33 this year, I can't be more excited to see how things shake down.  Add the Blue Angels to the mix and we have a great weekend in store for us.

If you have thought about going to the races and never have, this year is the year to go!!!

I will be there 9/16-9/19; if you're going and wanna take me up on an offer, I will buy a beer or multiple beers to anyone who IM"s me for contact info for me while I'm there.

We need to support the races the best we can!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll be there again from Wednesday to Sunday. Sad about the unlimited showing. At least Czechmate is supposed to be there. Is Strega ever gonna fly again?
View Quote

Read that it is lack of sponsorship keeping Strega home this year.  However, her prop is being flown on Voodoo.  

Not only is the thinned out unlimited a shame this year, but the 2016 National Aviation Heritage Invitational was canceled; apparently some pissing match with RARA over ramp space if you believe the press releases and Internets.

I'm very much looking forward to it, but I sure hope this doesn't become a trend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Read that it is lack of sponsorship keeping Strega home this year.  However, her prop is being flown on Voodoo.  

Not only is the thinned out unlimited a shame this year, but the 2016 National Aviation Heritage Invitational was canceled; apparently some pissing match with RARA over ramp space if you believe the press releases and Internets.

I'm very much looking forward to it, but I sure hope this doesn't become a trend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Voodoo ran a 480+ mph lap at PRS with Strega's prop
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Voodoo ran a 480+ mph lap at PRS with Strega's prop
View Quote

Saw the video posted of that.

I'm all worked up just thinking of the sound of the unlimiteds dropping on to the course at race start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top