Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
She should have let the F/O make the landing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
What happened to "my airplane"?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The front fell off
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Last I heard upgrade was around 12 years, probably junior Capt.  Though that has nothing to do with what so ever.  1 month first officers land them successfully all the time everyday.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#5]
This may be the flight where the female captain cut power and fucked with the FO's landing on short final.  I never heard her explanation for why she did it.  If I remember correctly the FO was a fighter pilot and instructor in the military.  Also, the captain had a history of being a bitch and doing crazy things.   But that's what I read in the news a long time ago so who knows?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

She took it from the F/O.

The jumpseater(!) and the F/O were calling for a go-around.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Rumor I heard was that she was offered a million dollar severance in lieu of termination and rejected it because she did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't sound good for her.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rumor I heard was that she was offered a million dollar severance in lieu of termination and rejected it because she did nothing wrong.
View Quote

Bad pilot and stupid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bad pilot and stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad pilot and stupid.

She was the base "Do Not Fly With" leader, according to another rumor.

The Southwest pilot group is, despite the shit I fling at them, a nearly universally decent group of guys in my experience. I've ridden up front with them plenty, and on two flights it looked like a FLOT from Hell.

Honestly, I think we will see more accidents like this in the future, not fewer, due to airline hiring trends. JMO.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The general rule of jumpseater etiquette is not to voice your opinion unless directly asked or you're going to die. I think the JSer thought he was going to die.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheiß
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Things will not get better.

When the people hiring pilots are not pilots and don't know their ass from a shotgun barrel about flying airplanes and the actual pilot skills are not as important as how well you interview or how many politically correct squares you fill, this shit is just part of the price of doing business.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The general rule of jumpseater etiquette is not to voice your opinion unless directly asked or you're going to die. I think the JSer thought he was going to die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When the people hiring pilots are not pilots and don't know their ass from a shotgun barrel about flying airplanes and the actual pilot skills are not as important as how well you interview or how many politically correct squares you fill, this shit is just part of the price of doing business.

View Quote

One hundred percent accurate. Completely.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ask me how I know. I will not tell.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I can guess.

Too late to ask you for a letter of recommendation?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Much too late. I don't know any of those young whipper/snappers that are the new HMFWICs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like a bit more than a "hard landing".

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
SINK RATE!!!!!!TOO LOW!!!!!!!PULL UP!!!! WHOOP WHOOP!!!AIRSPEED!!!!!!!WHAT THE FUCK...WHAT THE FUCK BITCH

The flight report is the sound made at the termination of the flight. This was, no doubt, a multiple decibel flight report.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't this the trend in hiring damn near anyone ?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I think the aircraft was considered a hull loss, but as hard as they hit from the video, it held together remarkable well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#23]
There are certain career fields where a good bullshitter can bullshit his way through things without splattering a crowd.

This profession being discussed here is not one of them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#24]
The article seems to indicate that the fired captain's gender is a 'He'.  Any word on whether we're talking about the same event?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I read it and it doesn't say anything about gender, sexual preference or which bathroom the Captain uses.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I read it and it doesn't say anything about gender, sexual preference or which bathroom the Captain uses.
View Quote

It used a "He" but I think its poor journalism, personally. I think that WN has only piled in one 737 at LGA.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I notice mistakes very quickly in the JS, but usually don't say anything unless they don't eventually see it or it might be safety related.  After sitting there I see how the sim guys and check airman see things so fast, much easier in the JS.  Usually they ask me to point things out.  I think the last was someone spinning in airspeed rather than a heading, he would have caught it but the atmosphere was established that we were all a team.  He was very thankful.  Anyways, if it was a sit down and shut up atmosphere I'd still say something if in fear of my life.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, the kindler gentler HR is probably here to stay in all fields.  Check boxes, fill quotas, and make people feel better.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's a story about how other pilots at SWA felt about the since-terminated captain of Flight 345:

Pilots Didn’t Want to Fly With Capt. Who Crash-Landed SW Flight 345

By Christine Negroni

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

November 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

The Southwest Airlines captain who flew a Boeing 737 into the runway nose first at LaGuardia Airport last summer had been on the receiving end of multiple complaints by first officers at the airline who did not want to fly with her, according to an employee at the airline who asked not to be identified. The process, called a bid avoidance, is not unique to Southwest. Delta Air Lines, United and others also give their pilots a way to opt out of sharing the cockpit with captains they find difficult to work with.

Brandy King, a spokeswoman for the airline explained as part of its labor contract with pilots, first officers can "express a preference not to fly with up to three captains without the necessity of providing any reason for such preference.” She told me, "the program is not intended to address safety concerns.”

It’s not clear to me that all pilots understand that distinction. One who filed two bids to avoid other captains over the years described something close to a dysfunctional atmosphere when flying with them. One captain, "actively degraded you personally throughout the entire flight, second guessing every decision you did.” In the second instance, the senior pilot was "intentionally non compliant”.

The National Transportation Safety Board is still investigating what happened on Flight 345 to make the plane go crashing nose wheel landing gear-first, onto runway 4 on a grey day in July 2013.

*** COMPLETE STORY IS LINKED AT TITLE ***
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://www.wsj.com/articles/affirmative-action-lands-in-the-air-traffic-control-tower-1433283292

Looks like it's not just the hiring of pilots that's going to shit.  Fucking unbelievable. So much for aviation's safety record.  I just hope that automation can make up some for the incompetence of these new hires.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#31]
The HR system purposely and publicly makes certain pigs more equal than others, and then wonders why other people don't want to play "bet your career!" by calling out a person who shouldn't be flying professionally.

The passive solution of "DNF with" lists is far easier than asking why certain personalities were hired (because then HR has to respond) or why they upgraded (because then the Training Department has to answer.)

The billpayer is the junior guy or Reserve picking up a trip with a Captain he hopes doesn't kill or violate him.

Been there, done that. Good times.

ETA: The fact that ALPA, SWAPA or any other union allows this is nearly criminal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember several pilots in my squadron that people would refuse to fly with. Getting rid of them would hurt their career, so naturally it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Looks like no flare
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've been told in no uncertain terms to speak up if I feel it is necessary.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

I'm no expert on airline procedure, but wouldn't such an incident demand immediate action and emergency egress and not flight attendants telling everyone to remain seated?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/affirmative-action-lands-in-the-air-traffic-control-tower-1433283292

Looks like it's not just the hiring of pilots that's going to shit.  Fucking unbelievable. So much for aviation's safety record.  I just hope that automation can make up some for the incompetence of these new hires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*cough* SAV tower *cough* *cough*
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Dupe
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm no expert on airline procedure, but wouldn't such an incident demand immediate action and emergency egress and not flight attendants telling everyone to remain seated?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No doubt it looks like hesitation or inaction
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Unless there's an obviuos need to evacuate,  smoke, fire, water filling the cabin..., the flight attendants shouldn't initiate an evacuation on their own.

The remain seated announcement is pretty much airline SOP in this situation.   Emergency evacuations are almost guaranteed to cause injuries to passengers where as an expedited or more organized deplanning is much safer.   The pilots are the ones that should make the determination on how and when.   And it would fall on the captain to do that,  unless they can't.

In hindsight it's easy to say there was no need for an emergency evac in this situation.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Looked to me like a dive for the deck. (no expert)
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Unless there's an obviuos need to evacuate,  smoke, fire, water filling the cabin..., the flight attendants shouldn't initiate an evacuation on their own.

The remain seated announcement is pretty much airline SOP in this situation.   Emergency evacuations are almost guaranteed to cause injuries to passengers where as an expedited or more organized deplanning is much safer.   The pilots are the ones that should make the determination on how and when.   And it would fall on the captain to do that,  unless they can't.

In hindsight it's easy to say there was no need for an emergency evac in this situation.
View Quote

The same captain who just broke the nosewheel on a 737?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Old news
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

LGA is tough, a conga line starting with STARs, which no matter how nice it looks is getting thrown out the window, then machine gun staccato center and TRACON controllers, a friggin short runway that if you are landing on 04 and you force a landing you will be swimming in the Sound
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Bottom line is professional pilots should be able to do pilot shit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bottom line is professional pilots should be able to do pilot shit.
View Quote

Bingo, the runways are at least 7000 feet long, not even an issue for a B737, even in a snow storm.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
LGA is tough, a conga line starting with STARs, which no matter how nice it looks is getting thrown out the window, then machine gun staccato center and TRACON controllers, a friggin short runway that if you are landing on 04 and you force a landing you will be swimming in the Sound
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been flying all over NYC's airspace since I had < 300 hours to my name and have had no issues whatsoever with the NYC controllers getting in, over and around NYC. I've not landed at LGA, but I've landed at multiple airports on Long Island and traversed the city's airspace to the north, south and west. Challenge or not, providing it was her skills as a pilot that caused the incident as opposed to some natural phenomenon or mechanical issue, she had no business in the left seat. It's very fortunate that only an airframe was written off and no lives were lost due to whatever got her in that seat to begin with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#47]
That was a giant mistake
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Any person can be anything they want to be, or so we are told. The trouble is they just might not be worth a shit at it.

Certain jobs absolutely require a minimum level of competency in order to survive.

For instance:

AirMAN
FireMAN
PoliceMAN
InfantryMAN
ArtilleryMAN
RifleMAN

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
This air carrier's SOP is for the cabin crew to initiate an evacuation during an emergency if they don't hear from the cockpit in X amount of minutes.

That's why you see the delay.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#50]

On July 22, 2013, about 1744 eastern daylight time (EDT), a Boeing 737-700, N753SW, operated as Southwest Airlines (SWA) flight 345, had a nose gear collapse during a hard landing on runway 4 at LaGuardia Airport (LGA), Flushing, Queens, New York. Of the 144 passengers and 5 crewmembers on board, 8 sustained minor injuries, and the airplane was substantially damaged. The flight was operated under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 121 and had departed from Nashville International Airport (BNA), Nashville, Tennessee, about 1433 central daylight time. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident flight, which operated on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan.

The first officer was the pilot flying (PF) for the trip to LGA, and a pilot from another airline occupied the cockpit jumpseat. The captain stated during postaccident interviews that the majority of the flight from BNA to LGA was normal. However, because of some significant weather conditions in the arrival area, they were given radar vectors around thunderstorm activity and were also instructed to enter a holding pattern at the beginning of the arrival. During the descent, they mostly had a tailwind and there was some rain on the approach. As the PF, the first officer briefed the approach; data from the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) indicate that he agreed with the captain when she suggested a 40º flap setting for the approach. The first officer stated during postaccident interviews that he referenced the weather and planned a visual approach to runway 4, with a runway 4 instrument landing system (ILS) backup. The automated terminal information service (ATIS) at LGA reported clear visibility at the airport and 10- or 11-knot easterly surface wind. However, the captain later stated that, on approach, the tailwind reached as high as about 30 knots.

On the approach, the flight crew configured the airplane for landing and switched communications to the LGA tower, and the tower controller cleared the flight to land. The first officer said that when they reached the final approach fix, the airplane was configured with the gear down and the flaps set at 30º. The captain stated during postaccident interviews that, some distance past the final approach fix, the pitch attitude did not look right to her and she noticed that the flaps were set to 30º instead of 40º, which the performance calculations for landing were based on. CVR data indicate that at 1743:30, the captain said "oh we're forty," and the first officer responded, "oh there you go." Data from the flight data recorder (FDR) indicate that the captain set the flaps to 40º as the airplane was descending through about 500 ft radio altitude. CVR data show that she made the 500 ft callout about 13 seconds later.

The first officer stated that the autopilot was coupled to the ILS, the autothrottles were engaged during the approach, and the sink rate was about 700-800 ft per minute. Around 500 ft, he cross-checked the wind and recalled that there was a slight crosswind of around 11 knots. FDR data show that the autopilot was disconnected at 1743:50, when the airplane was somewhere between 385 and 361 ft radio altitude, and that the first officer was actively manipulating the flight controls after the autopilot was disengaged. The first officer stated that he began to transition to a side-slip maneuver for the crosswind by lowering the right wing and compensating with left rudder to align the airplane with the runway.

The first officer stated that the precision approach path indicator (PAPI) indicated two red and two white lights and that he was satisfied with the airspeed and crosswind corrections. He said he used the PAPI as his primary approach path reference but also cross-checked the ILS glideslope indicator. He said the airspeed fluctuated between Vref and Vtarget but was generally closer to the Vtarget speed. He recalled that there was about an 8-knot difference between the two speeds. FDR data indicate that the airplane was above glideslope about this time at 100 to 200 ft, reaching a maximum recorded deviation at 1744:23 just before touchdown.

The first officer stated that, as they crossed over the runway overrun area, he noticed that the PAPI indicated three white lights and one red, indicating that they were a little high on the glidepath. He knew that he would need to make a slight correction to land in the touchdown zone. The captain stated that she was looking through the heads up display (HUD) during the approach and was able to see the wind display on the HUD. When over the threshold, she thought the airplane was "groundspeed fast," the pitch was too low, and that they were not getting the right sink rate to the ground. She said she believed that if she did not act, the airplane would have continued to float past the touchdown zone. CVR data indicate that at 1744:14, she made the 100 ft callout then said "get down get down get down" about 3 seconds later. At 1744:23, the captain said "I got it," and the first officer responded "okay you got it." The airplane was about 27 ft radio altitude at this time. FDR data show that at 1744:36, the throttle resolver angles for both engines decreased to about 35º and that the recorded N1 values for both engines also decreased.

The first officer stated that after giving the captain control of the airplane, he scanned the altimeter and airspeed, but his visual focus was drawn outside the cockpit because of the rapidly approaching runway. The captain said that she was not certain what the pitch attitude was when she took control of the airplane but knew that it was not what it should have been for a 40º flaps landing, which she thought should have been around 5º. FDR data show that, shortly before engine power was reduced, the aircraft's pitch began to enter a negative (nose down) trend that continued to decrease to a minimum airborne value of -3.87º.

The captain reported that she increased back pressure on the controls to raise the nose and was increasing power as the airplane dropped to the runway. FDR data show that, just before touchdown, control column position for the captain and first officer remained near zero and that the throttles were advanced about 1 second before touchdown. The captain said that she saw the nose hit the runway and felt the impact, which she said was hard. The first officer also said that the airplane hit hard and that it felt like they landed nose first. He did not recall if they bounced. The airplane started sliding and veered slightly to the right before stopping on the right side of the runway centerline about 2,500 ft from its initial touchdown.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top