User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you've got that kind of money, you can afford the JP8 to get out out to international waters.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it possible to privately own a F-14?  
Does the law still apply that says as a civilian you cannot own any active duty military aircraft?
I would imagine even if you owned the plane privately as a showpiece it would be ridiculous just to maintain it, much less get it operational and flying.  I believe these planes were designed in such a way that it would require a full crew with specialized tools just to keep it flying.  I've heard 40 man hours of maintenance for every 1 hour of flight time.  Sound about right?

Just move to Iran.

Not to mention getting an aerobatic box approved big enough for a high performance jet would be nearly impossible at best and then there's the whole sonic boom limitation thing if you really want to get your rocks off in a private fighter jet. With that said if money was no object I would buy every senator I needed to to buy a new F-16 or F-18.

If you've got that kind of money, you can afford the JP8 to get out out to international waters.  

I don't recall there ever being JP8 on carriers.Zoomies had that for their SR-71s.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't recall there ever being JP8 on carriers.Zoomies had that for their SR-71s.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it possible to privately own a F-14?  

Does the law still apply that says as a civilian you cannot own any active duty military aircraft?

I would imagine even if you owned the plane privately as a showpiece it would be ridiculous just to maintain it, much less get it operational and flying.  I believe these planes were designed in such a way that it would require a full crew with specialized tools just to keep it flying.  I've heard 40 man hours of maintenance for every 1 hour of flight time.  Sound about right?

Just move to Iran.

Not to mention getting an aerobatic box approved big enough for a high performance jet would be nearly impossible at best and then there's the whole sonic boom limitation thing if you really want to get your rocks off in a private fighter jet. With that said if money was no object I would buy every senator I needed to to buy a new F-16 or F-18.

SR71 used JP-7
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top