Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2016 6:27:11 PM EDT
Is it possible to privately own a F-14?  

Does the law still apply that says as a civilian you cannot own any active duty military aircraft?

I would imagine even if you owned the plane privately as a showpiece it would be ridiculous just to maintain it, much less get it operational and flying.  I believe these planes were designed in such a way that it would require a full crew with specialized tools just to keep it flying.  I've heard 40 man hours of maintenance for every 1 hour of flight time.  Sound about right?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Negative, Ghostrider...... the pattern is full.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#2]
OP is feeling the need for speed
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe with the new friendly relationship we have with Iran you could import one.  You could probably also important some maintainers for cheap.  Good luck finding parts.  Art Nalls has a couple Brit Harriers and makes it work, they are probably similar in complexity and high maintenance requirements.  However, they still make Harrier mechs and there was a bit of spare parts out there for his jets.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I know there are some privately owned F-5s and T-38s. Would have to be a much cheaper way to still spend tens of thousands per hour to still have a ton of operational restrictions.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know there are some privately owned F-5s and T-38s. Would have to be a much cheaper way to still spend tens of thousands per hour to still have a ton of operational restrictions.
View Quote

Much more simple airplane and plenty of spare parts still available.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The F-14s were destroyed so that Iran absolutely could never get their hands on parts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
stick to that  chech plane L-39  

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/?MDLGrp=L-39
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We budget $1,000,000 annually to fly a measly Bravo 400 hours a year. Can't imagine what the hourly to fly an F-5 a couple or three dozen hours a year for fun if that much and at a much higher fuel burn.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a retired Marine that owns a few Harriers. One is operational
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is Art

He also has an L39 and a cub
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
who wants that bucket of endless  repairs.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
who wants that bucket of endless  repairs.....
View Quote

You just described every airplane.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That is Art

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is Art

I want to be his friend. Harrier and the A10 are the two loves of my life
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#14]
There's at least a couple of F-14s in private museums--Pima Air Museum in Az., and Valiant Air Museum in Fla.  I suspect ownership was retained by the gvmt.
The Florida example was flown in, according to the museum owner, form Pax River.  He said it landed at Tico with every caution light in the cockpit illuminated.
Don't know the history of the Az. example.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is Art

Go see him at an airshow, he is a very approachable friendly guy.  He has a two seater Harrier now, maybe you can get a ride.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
There's a guy in Arizona who privately owns an F-104.  I can't imagine the maintenance and fuel costs associated with that beast.  

An F-14 would probably be billionaire territory...hypothetically.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Does the law still apply that says as a civilian you cannot own any active duty military aircraft?

I would imagine even if you owned the plane privately as a showpiece it would be ridiculous just to maintain it, much less get it operational and flying.  I believe these planes were designed in such a way that it would require a full crew with specialized tools just to keep it flying.  I've heard 40 man hours of maintenance for every 1 hour of flight time.  Sound about right?
View Quote

Just move to Iran.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just move to Iran.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just move to Iran.

Not to mention getting an aerobatic box approved big enough for a high performance jet would be nearly impossible at best and then there's the whole sonic boom limitation thing if you really want to get your rocks off in a private fighter jet. With that said if money was no object I would buy every senator I needed to to buy a new F-16 or F-18.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not to mention getting an aerobatic box approved big enough for a high performance jet would be nearly impossible at best and then there's the whole sonic boom limitation thing if you really want to get your rocks off in a private fighter jet. With that said if money was no object I would buy every senator I needed to to buy a new F-16 or F-18.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just move to Iran.

If you've got that kind of money, you can afford the JP8 to get out out to international waters.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you've got that kind of money, you can afford the JP8 to get out out to international waters.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just move to Iran.

With Bill Gates' money I could have a KC-135 meet me over the gulf to enhance my shenanigans!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

With Bill Gates' money I could have a KC-135 meet me over the gulf to enhance my shenanigans!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just move to Iran.

With that said I'm taking the plane in the morning to the service center at MCO for a 'minor' $75k phase check. that's probably less than a single gold medal race run for Strega, Precious Metal or Rare Bear. Sad that Strega and PM won't be there this year.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
stick to that  chech plane L-39  

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/?MDLGrp=L-39
View Quote

They're cool but really lack WOW factor.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe if you owned a museum.  But would be demilled and just a shell.  Pretty sure the F14 is done.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, with the Iranian deal opening up trade and such - someone in a country with more favorable relations with the mullahs can buy a flyable one (along with spares) from the Iranians.

The Shah of Iran bought Iran's 80 (well, 79) Tomcats with cash (which went a long way in saving Grumman and the F-14 program - which was in desperate trouble due to an almost lethal combination of development issues, a fixed price contract, and brutal '70s inflation).  

I'd imagine a US buyer could then try to purchase that Tomcat from that party afterward...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't see why you couldn't. There was a F-18 and F-16 for sale a while back. Both original A models. Neither were air worthy but could have been made so with enough money. I'm not aware of any law strictly prohibiting the ownership and operation of a tomcat. It just wouldn't be even slightly practical. But anything can be accomplished with enough money.

Probably the hottest flying privately owned aircraft in the US today is the Mig-29.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]
One thing that's sort of nice about these things is that they require a lot of maintenance to keep flying, and a lot of skill to fly, so that when a country gets their hands on them and we end up on less than favorable terms, their asset ends up grounded. Occasionally people have to punch out of fighters that should be perfectly fine because, well, shit happens. It really takes a stable, wealthy State to operate them. I don't know OP's history, so if you're a a hot shot retired F-14 pilot who's now worth billions, forgive me for being presumptuous.

Supposedly MiG's require a lot less maintenance and there are a few of those that are privately owned.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't see why you couldn't. There was a F-18 and F-16 for sale a while back. Both original A models. Neither were air worthy but could have been made so with enough money. I'm not aware of any law strictly prohibiting the ownership and operation of a tomcat. It just wouldn't be even slightly practical. But anything can be accomplished with enough money.

Probably the hottest flying privately owned aircraft in the US today is the Mig-29.

View Quote

I lost track of the Viper, but the Hornet was still lacking avionics, other than that the Hornet could fly, everything else was ready to go in case some day, by some fluke the flight control systems were made available.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.warbirdsofdelaware.com/

A guy local to me owns and flies a MiG-23 and has some MiG-21s among other cool stuff......

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#29]
So, nobody has really answered the question of private F14 ownership, yet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I just toured the Pima museum last week.

Here's my pic of the F-14:

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There's at least a couple of F-14s in private museums--Pima Air Museum in Az., and Valiant Air Museum in Fla.  I suspect ownership was retained by the gvmt.
The Florida example was flown in, according to the museum owner, form Pax River.  He said it landed at Tico with every caution light in the cockpit illuminated.
Don't know the history of the Az. example.
View Quote

Chino, CA has one too. I don't remember what the plaque said about ownership or history. I have pictures of it but I don't have an image hosting account so can't post them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#33]
The only way you could possibly get one flying would be to obtain it from a foreign government. The Navy demills them all before going to a museum and the Navy retains ownership. If someone tried to get one flying the Navy would take it back.

The next hurdle in getting a foreign one flying would be getting it into the country legally and getting the FAA to issue an Experimental Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations. The availability of parts and equipment required to maintain it would make the whole thing pretty much impossible.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just move to Iran.

Maybe not as hard as you think . I remember seeing a Mig for sale that included written access to White Sands so you could fly supersonic and play . It did have a lot of other flight restrictions but it was not unworkable
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Maybe not as hard as you think . I remember seeing a Mig for sale that included written access to White Sands so you could fly supersonic and play . It did have a lot of other flight restrictions but it was not unworkable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just move to Iran.

That Mig type deal is no longer possible. No civilian owned aircraft can go supersonic over the U.S.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#36]
As far as money pit old military aircraft go, my "holy grail" will always be a Phantom.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That Mig type deal is no longer possible. No civilian owned aircraft can go supersonic over the U.S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just move to Iran.

I live in Michigan. I wonder if supersonic flight over Lake Michigan would cause hassles with the FAA? A quick flight from Grand Rapids to Milwaukee could be doable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#38]
There are privately owned UH60's. Seems if you could acquire one, there are ways to fly in legally.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I thought the rule was that it was not legal for a civilian to own a plane with hard points.

Red
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I thought the rule was that it was not legal for a civilian to own a plane with hard points.

Red
View Quote

I once had a girlfriend with hard points
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Red
View Quote

Pretty sure that's not true.  There are privately owned A4 Skyhawks, F4 Phantoms and at least a couple of F-104's, along with one F16, that I know of.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Red
View Quote

I flew Learjets that had hard-points for target towing, and I'm guessing that at least someone else on here has, too
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that's not true.  There are privately owned A4 Skyhawks, F4 Phantoms and at least a couple of F-104's, along with one F16, that I know of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red

Allot of vintage warbirds have hard points on them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Girls too
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There are privately owned UH60's. Seems if you could acquire one, there are ways to fly in legally.
View Quote

Completely different, you can go buy a new Blackhawk, Firehawk, if you have the coin.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I live in Michigan. I wonder if supersonic flight over Lake Michigan would cause hassles with the FAA? A quick flight from Grand Rapids to Milwaukee could be doable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, well maybe once, but if you were not shot down you would have a greeting committee waiting for you upon landing. You CAN NOT break the sound barrier ANYWHERE in US airspace.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#47]
There is also one parked at the Selfridge ANG base in Michigan.

http://selfridgeairmuseum.org/F-14A.htm

And if I am not mistaken there is one in the Pennsicola Naval Air Museum.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nope, well maybe once, but if you were not shot down you would have a greeting committee waiting for you upon landing. You CAN NOT break the sound barrier ANYWHERE in US airspace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not entirely accurate but for all intents and purposes (or intensive porpoises)  yes he as a private pilot cannot break the sound barrier over the US

Also Lake Michigan has several Victor airways, jet routes, Q routes, a MOA, a restricted area, a little bit of Bravo airspace and probably a shit ton of little planes flying around. It would be a bad idea.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red

Air Force jets can be had, not easy, the Navy retains title to all their aircraft past and present. There have been a number of instances where vintage naval warbirds have been found, brought back and restored to only have the navy retake possession. They have been sued and even asked by congress why, and to change their policy but to no avail. Some do get out but it's generally some mistake and if they can't get it back, they do all they can to keep it grounded. That's why you see more of every other service type of warbird except naval, it's not worth the hassle, they would rather they rot than be seen even in a museum or flying. I'm not sure what the count is, but almost all exnaval aircraft have been stricken from naval inventory and sold either surplus or gifted in some circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top