Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2016 5:42:34 AM EDT
Longtime aviation fan here. My soon-to-be father-in-law and I will be making the trek from here in NE Florida to Oshkosh this Friday for the EAA AirVenture in his 1954 Cessna 172.

My FIL has been to Oshkosh twice in the past but its been a few years for him. We will be parking and camping in the Vintage area.

Any tips for a newbie? What are some of the must see things? We plan to stay till the following weekend?

ETA: We flew in from Chatanooga on Saturday. We were VFR and almost stopped in Lansing, Indiana for the due to weather, but we were able to stay in visable air all the way to Ripon. Arrival was pretty smooth due to lots of planes hanging back for the weather. We sure we're glad to get in Saturday as it seems the traffic in Sunday was madness! I didn't see either of the incidents you all mentioned in the thread but we heard about them. We camped in the North 40 after being turned away from the Vintage lot, which was already full (our Cessna is a '59). There's was an incredible thunderstorm Saturday night but we managed to stay dry.

We had a blast! We stayed Saturday till Friday (today). We discovered the Target and grocery store shuttle that ran in the morning so we had a steady supply of beer all week . There were lots of great shows and handsome planes to be seen. The show certainly rekindled my passion for flight and I will be working on getting my lisence next year. Now I have to decide what kind of plane I want...

We are actually stuck right now outside of Chicago due to ifr conditions. Below are some of my favorite pics from the week:

Sunset over the North 40 Sunday night:
</a>" />

Pic from the seaplane base. The Martin Mars was impressive and it water bombed the runway a few times.
</a>" />

Lots of WWII goodies on display:
</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

We flew over Fort Knox
</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I am going up Monday through Tuesday (I expect we will have to pay for 3 nights of camping but can only stay one night).

I was at EAA many years ago as a kid.  I am excited to get back there and even more excited to be flying!

I will be following this thread for suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If you haven't studied the NOTAM, do it. Do it again. Have it printed and ready to go. Also have your vintage parking sign ready.

Power to charge your cell phone is a biggie. Someone suggested elsewhere take your own power strip if you are going to use the communal power.

Make sure to go to the seaplane base and the EAA museum. Give at least a day for the seaplane base.

Enjoy!

-- Jealous
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Longtime aviation fan here. My soon-to-be father-in-law and I will be making the trek from here in NE Florida to Oshkosh this Friday for the EAA AirVenture in his 1954 Cessna 172.

My FIL has been to Oshkosh twice in the past but its been a few years for him. We will be parking and camping in the Vintage area.

Any tips for a newbie? What are some of the must see things? We plan to stay till the following weekend.
View Quote

Stop about an hour away from KOSH and top off the tanks before heading into the maelstrom. Wear comfortable tennis shoes and lightweight socks, cargo shorts, and a light comfortable hat. Take lots of sunscreen and drink lots of water.

That's for any visit. The real question is are you camping there or renting nearby?

Eta: just reread and saw you're camping. Bring shower shoes and a shower bag for toiletries. I always brought my own tp because my ass is discriminating. Take some rope or twine or something to fashion a clothes line with to dry your towels on. This would be a good test for an Ozark trails cooler, tumblers and camp chairs. How much room have you got in the plane anyway? Cots would be a nice luxury for a weary walker.

Can you use camp stoves in the camping areas?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Count me as jealous.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
This will be year seven in a row for me in my homebuilt, 16 total, first in 1985.

Agree with all of the above and as for the cell phone charging, I've gone solar. Spend a hundred bucks and get a good setup with a nursing battery. I love being free from having to find a "tap" and leaving my phone somewhere.

I'll be parked with a homebuilt aircraft vendor. Send a message if you want to say hi!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I was hoping to make the trip this year (3rd time), but we lost oil pressure on our DC-3 a couple weeks ago and it has been giving us fits ever since, so were out this year.

Have fun, definitely check everything out you can!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Suck!  

I have never been there.  I'm hoping next year. But that is said every year...

Have fun!  Be careful.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you haven't studied the NOTAM, do it. Do it again. Have it printed and ready to go. Also have your vintage parking sign ready.

Power to charge your cell phone is a biggie. Someone suggested elsewhere take your own power strip if you are going to use the communal power.

Make sure to go to the seaplane base and the EAA museum. Give at least a day for the seaplane base.

Enjoy!

-- Jealous
View Quote

Great tips! My FIL is already drilling me on the NOTAM, he's a no bullshit guy, especially when it come to flying and safety
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm relegated to 30lbs of stuff to bring due to the weight balance of the plane, but I pack light so I'm not worried! The FIL has already shipped the camping gear to Oshkosh.

I will be looking into a solar setup. If not, I have a handful of powerbanks. Not ideal but I'll make do. I'll go visit Wally World to see what ozark trails gear I can test out.

I got my shower shoes ready, too

If I snap some decent pics, look for a thread upon my return!

Eta: I'm double checking on their camp stove policy
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Study the special procedures and get your best radio voice ready!
You don't want to be the guy going "Uuuuhhh...Piper123C....uhh...10 miles east....uhhh...(etc., etc)"

Other than that, dress sensibly, wear sunscreen, drink water, and HAVE FUN!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You don't want to be the guy going "Uuuuhhh...Piper123C....uhh...10 miles east....uhhh...(etc., etc)"

View Quote

That's just it! You don't use your voice at all. You only listen. Study the departure procedures too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's just it! You don't use your voice at all. You only listen. Study the departure procedures too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My PIC and I briefed the NOTAM with another pilot who has extensive EAA experience.  We are also studying the approaches, although we should have a pretty good idea which one they are using en route.

The other pilot we briefed with told me that the controllers on the ground at Fisk (or it it Ripon?) will let you hang out with them and observe.  Boxes of donuts are appreciated.  Unfortunately we won't have time to do that but it would be fun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I will be visiting next Friday and maybe Saturday morning.  Driving up however.  This will be only my second time up there.   Hoping to see the Mars and the dawn patrol, plus all the classics.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
So the pilot with EAA experience who briefed us said that we should bring a 6 pack of nice local beer to share with others who stop by our campsite (we are flying, not driving).  But I read on the Airventure website that alcohol is prohibited.  I have seen pictures from the airplane camping area and people are holding beers.  What's the scoop?  Is this rule only enforced if there are problems?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So the pilot with EAA experience who briefed us said that we should bring a 6 pack of nice local beer to share with others who stop by our campsite (we are flying, not driving).  But I read on the Airventure website that alcohol is prohibited.  I have seen pictures from the airplane camping area and people are holding beers.  What's the scoop?  Is this rule only enforced if there are problems?
View Quote

Take beers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Take beers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take beers.

Roger thanks!

We did our packing meeting tonight and refreshed ourselves on the approaches they have been using today (mainly 27).

I am so excited!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Weird. I'd never heard that alcohol was prohibited. I saw a guy fly in once in a beautiful Cessna 185 that he'd taken the rear seats out of. Had the thing packed to the head liner with camping gear. Once he unpacked the camping gear I finally noticed it was all sitting upon a bed of beer. He must've had a pallet of beer in that damn thing. I mean like 20-25 cases of canned beer. He was well prepared.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Weird. I'd never heard that alcohol was prohibited. I saw a guy fly in once in a beautiful Cessna 185 that he'd taken the rear seats out of. Had the thing packed to the head liner with camping gear. Once he unpacked the camping gear I finally noticed it was all sitting upon a bed of beer. He must've had a pallet of beer in that damn thing. I mean like 20-25 cases of canned beer. He was well prepared.

View Quote

LOL, I won't be taking that much.  

Will let you know Monday night.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Stay safe and have fun. I may or may not try and go this week.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes I was listening and they had to take care of a disable aircraft.  I don't know anything more.  Though a quick Google search shows a small aircraft went down short of RWY 36.  Occupants were okay but transported to hospital.

It sounded like a crazy day getting in there.  Marginal VFR early in the day.  I was hoping to see the Mooney Caravan depart MSN.  I was at WI Aviation at start time (10:10 a.m.) and they were told that KOSH was delaying them an hour.  When I drove past the airport at 11:20 a.m. they were all still there.

When the airport was closed to IFR during the crash an IFR guy in a hold with an hour worth of fuel asked if he could squawk VFR and try to land that way.  ATC told him that there was a 30 mile long line of VFR aircraft trying to make it in and he would have to go to the end of the line.

We are hoping to go wheels up from MSN at 8:00 a.m. to avoid the rush.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
An article in the Northwestern said the incident on 27 was a landing without the landing gear. The 36 crash got more news attention and 27 was just a blurb.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes I was listening and they had to take care of a disable aircraft.  I don't know anything more.  Though a quick Google search shows a small aircraft went down short of RWY 36.  Occupants were okay but transported to hospital.

It sounded like a crazy day getting in there.  Marginal VFR early in the day.  I was hoping to see the Mooney Caravan depart MSN.  I was at WI Aviation at start time (10:10 a.m.) and they were told that KOSH was delaying them an hour.  When I drove past the airport at 11:20 a.m. they were all still there.

When the airport was closed to IFR during the crash an IFR guy in a hold with an hour worth of fuel asked if he could squawk VFR and try to land that way.  ATC told him that there was a 30 mile long line of VFR aircraft trying to make it in and he would have to go to the end of the line.

View Quote

That plane is an absolute mess!  I am amazed they are alive.  I cant even tell what it used to be.  

http://arffwg.org/small-plane-crash-near-oshkosh/
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That plane is an absolute mess!  I am amazed they are alive.  I cant even tell what it used to be.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like an RV.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm flying in now, will be there till Thursday.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#29]
8:30 am Monday morning we were lining up coming into Ripon and they ran out of parking and camping. We diverted to Fon du Lac and took a bus to EAA. We are turning camping into a day trip.

Next year we will come on the weekend!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where even is the left wing? They must be living right to not even suffer life threatening injuries through that. I know more than a few guys killed in planes that looked better than that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where even is the left wing? They must be living right to not even suffer life threatening injuries through that. I know more than a few guys killed in planes that looked better than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then there is this....

He walked away from this and met the ambulance at the nearest road!  
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe that's why it crashed. No left wing.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/Net/11099414_10152842973003093_431648952263684875_o_zpsllhetjkt.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/Net/11099414_10152842973003093_431648952263684875_o_zpsllhetjkt.jpg

Left elevator might be salvageable. So it coulda been worse.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

< - - - This is my jealous face.
View Quote
You need to take your Navion up there one year.  If you haven't been, it truly is a bucket list item for any pilot.  I've been (flown in/drove in) maybe 28-30 yrs of my 34 on the planet.

Those flying in keep your head on a swivel when you hit the merge at Ripon and do your best to be seen.  S turns really help others see you. There are a ton of aircraft converging at one point with a vary large variance of experience levels.

Ill be up there Thursday night through Saturday with my dad in N195WS.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#35]
My six pack of canned beer sat in a cooler in the back of a 182 in FDL.  We got bumped with full parking and full camping at 8:30 a.m. Monday as we approached Ripon.  We diverted to FDL to beat the rush.  We took a shuttle bus at $50 a head round trip to EAA and had a blast.

We will plan for a Sunday arrival next year.

FDL told everyone don't call us until you are on a 3 mile final.  It was crazy.  Fun times!  Probably more exciting that Ripon/Fisk.

We had a blast and are already planning next year!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#36]
As we were taking the bus back to FDL we saw an aircraft on its nose on the south end of 36.  There were emergency vehicles around it.  This was about 8:45 p.m.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I updated the OP. I hope all of you who went had a great time! I sure did!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As we were taking the bus back to FDL we saw an aircraft on its nose on the south end of 36.  There were emergency vehicles around it.  This was about 8:45 p.m.
View Quote

Landing gear wouldn't extend
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I was there from Sunday until about 2 on Friday, working.

I've got tons of pics, but here's the Mars water drop on Wed...

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#41]
And my pics are here:

https://imgur.com/a/xIhnH
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And my pics are here:

View Quote

Great pictures. Thanks it brings back old memories.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And my pics are here:

I'll probably make a thread in GD later; getting stuff back together here today.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I flew my dad's Piper J4 to OSH from Tucson in 1975. My dad later sold the airplane, I have required the airplane and once rebuilt I want to fly it there again.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And my pics are here:

View Quote

Great pics
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#46]
If anyone is still around I'll be in hanger C at the Aerocet booth

Rockin show
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#47]
My dad and I decided last minute Wednesday morning to make the trip. We were on the road in about an hour. Really glad we did it. Money has been tight for both of us, but never know how many years left you have to do things like this. I didn't take many pictures this year and even the iPhone 6s is so so with video, so I didn't dwell too much on it. The night air show was great. That was a first for us as we haven't been since 2012. We were both disappointed about the A-20 not coming. There is family history with both the P-47 and A-20, so when we saw there was going to be a Warbird forum on both of them, it was a big motivator. Oh well. We at least got your awesome breakfasts at LaSures to keep the tradition alive. Camp Scholler was crazy packed but we lucked out on a spot  not far from a shower room and pretty close to the gate.

Here is one pic with an F-15...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top