Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2016 10:33:07 PM EDT
PRESS RELEASE – Doc’s Friends, the group managing the restoration of the B-29 known as Doc, announced today the historic B-29 will make its return to flight Sunday, July 17.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I pray everyday  we can once again be the great nation  that we once were .

These guys  that rebuilt   this  
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pray everyday  we can once again be the great nation  that we once were .

These guys  that rebuilt   this  
View Quote

Agree to both. Great plane that won the war and hope out country can get back to what it once was. Time to make America Great Again!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Its beautiful.  Looks better than Fifi with that unnatural paint scheme. No offense to a certain someone here.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Outstanding!  A road trip may be in order.

I worked on Doc a little before I got laid off and left Wichita in 2002.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Been watching the progress on the FB page for a while.  Sure will be nice to see it fly again.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Its beautiful.  Looks better than Fifi with that unnatural paint scheme. No offense to a certain someone here.
View Quote

ElSupremo will have the best seat in the house.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope there will be pictures.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#8]
A well known aviation photographer will be in the photo/chase plane and will have hundreds plus video.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A well known aviation photographer will be in the photo/chase plane and will have hundreds plus video.
View Quote

I have been thinking about making a drive there to get some pics.  

It might be fun.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Are Doc and FiFi going to be up at EAA this year?

I was looking forward to Bombers Over Madison again this year but it looks like they will be in Janesville the first weekend of EAA.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Honest question.

How many B29 Pilot in Commands do we have in this country, let alone the world?
View Quote

Not sure, I know we used to have one here, but there's a strong correlation between being a high status aviation professional and getting banned from arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not sure, I know we used to have one here, but there's a strong correlation between being a high status aviation professional and getting banned from arfcom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honest question.

I miss all the drama. What's that all about?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honest question.

His name was old cat driver. I'm sure his spirit lives on.........
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I told my boss today about Doc being done and ready for a flight on Sunday.  She said take Monday off and go take pictures!  And they are paying me for my Monday!  

Now I have to get ready for a road trip.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Be sure to check DOC's website for designated public area to watch take off.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I am rounding up the crew this morning and we are headed to Wichita.

Engine run ups and some taxi checks today.

DOC willing, we fly in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am rounding up the crew this morning and we are headed to Wichita.

Engine run ups and some taxi checks today.

DOC willing, we fly in the morning.
View Quote

Nice!

I'm on the road myself.
Have a few places planned out for viewing.  .mil ID.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's to a safe flight!      <------------- After flight of course.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Looking forward to a successful return to the skies,  el supremo!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm waiting!  

Have camera ready!

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I gots me a TWA ramp to shoot from.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Glorious!

She looked wonderful in flight.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Awesome safe first flight.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know how the flight went yet?
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like they had some engine indicator go off that they didn't like so turned back.  I just read that on news on the inter webs so take it with grain of salt.  I  was wondering why they did a quick lap and never raised the gear from what I would tell from the live feed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks like they had some engine indicator go off that they didn't like so turned back.  I just read that on news on the inter webs so take it with grain of salt.  I  was wondering why they did a quick lap and never raised the gear from what I would tell from the live feed.
View Quote

I always thought that first flights are traditionally quick and dirty.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First flights are usual fast or short to test controls, stability and stresses on the plane. They also fly gear down for quick landing, just one more item the pilot does not have to worry about.

A recent p38 plane, b or c model recovered from Greenland, made it's first flight wheels down. It had engine problems lost power and the pilot had to set down after a five minute flight. No time for the gear to be raised or lowered. Plane was worked on and now flies air shows.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

First flights are usual fast or short to test controls, stability and stresses on the plane. They also fly gear down for quick landing, just one more item the pilot does not have to worry about.

A recent p38 plane, b or c model recovered from Greenland, made it's first flight wheels down. It had engine problems lost power and the pilot had to set down after a five minute flight. No time for the gear to be raised or lowered. Plane was worked on and now flies air shows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glacier Girl
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:11:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is a Quick one boys and girls.  Just got home from a LONG drive so I will go through more tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#34]
so much awesome
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good buddy of mine was one of the flight engineers on Doc and said they had a chip detector light come on #4 at rotation. Then around 500 ft, #1 and #2 started to come on.  Engine indications were all normal but decided to not risk it.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good buddy of mine was one of the flight engineers on Doc and said they had a chip detector light come on #4 at rotation. Then around 500 ft, #1 and #2 started to come on.  Engine indications were all normal but decided to not risk it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a moment that would cause some ass puckering.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#37]
144 spark plugs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it would.  
With fresh engines it may be something super simple,  or it could be something major.  Either way it is in everyones best interests to set her down asap.

I had a lot of fun watching history with my son and father.  As a hilarious side note,  my father fell asleep while sitting on the base of the TWA steps and almost fell off.     I laughed,  he laughed and fun was had.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Some things you can never anticipate because when the plane is in the air, wings flex, air and vibrations rattle things you can never test on the ground.  I think it went well considering it hasn't flown in decades.

I spent a week changing every spark plug on FIFI back in November and it was a mess. Oil just gets into and saturates everything.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some things you can never anticipate because when the plane is in the air, wings flex, air and vibrations rattle things you can never test on the ground.  I think it went well considering it hasn't flown in decades.

I spent a week changing every spark plug on FIFI back in November and it was a mess. Oil just gets into and saturates everything.
View Quote

I bet those on the bottom cylinders are the worst. Were chip detectors original equipment?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Any videos of the flight yet?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page 1. It's glorious! 'Merica!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

there is a few out there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Other than it being a Boeing aircraft, any reason for its engine starting sequence of #3, #4, #2 then #1?

For a commercial Boeing aircraft the right side engine is started first in order to have brakes.  Is this true for the B-29 as well?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Other than it being a Boeing aircraft, any reason for its engine starting sequence of #3, #4, #2 then #1?

For a commercial Boeing aircraft the right side engine is started first in order to have brakes.  Is this true for the B-29 as well?
View Quote

The B-29 only has one hydraulic item and that is wheel brakes. There is only one hydraulic pump and it is electric. The engines can be started in any sequence, it doesn't really matter.

The main reason for starting 3 & 4 first is that the backward facing flight engineer can look directly at them through a big window on the right while trying to convince them to come to life. When starting 2 & 1 he can only see just a tiny bit of their props through the little window on the left.

The B-29 was an advanced technology flying war machine at the end of WWII for dispensing bombs, but it had absolutely no modern conveniences except for pressurization. It requires someone at the controls with muscles and knowledge of how to use their feet to coordinate flight control inputs.  

It had no:

Boosted flight controls
Nosewheel steering
Reverse
Anti-skid brakes
Yaw damper
Trim buttons (all manual trim wheels)
Air conditioning

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Any word on the chip indicators?  (As in, are the engines okay?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top