Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2016 1:18:54 PM EDT
Group buy?

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI16172101

AIRCRAFT 1 each. Douglas DC-3T, 1944 S/N 33567, N115U. 18800.9 hours aircraft TT. P&W PT6A-67R engines, Left 2367.7 SMOH, Right 5831. SMOH HC-B5MA-3 propellers 543.0 SPOH This is an "As is where is" sale. Attached Equipment List Further details on i nvitation for bid? DOUGLAS DC-3T 1232TD612400011
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Low time frame, but time on turbine engines doesn't mean much.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's do it. The TBO doesn't mean much when the hot sections and FOD is what matters. I know we had PT6s running over 10k since last overhaul. With trend monitoring, overhaul times are over rated.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Gooney bird with turbo prop........blasphemy!!!

Seriously, with the PT6 it is a great plane made even better
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
For whatever reason, I've seen probably a half-dozen G650s with DC-3 style paint schemes.

Example:

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder what the reserve is.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
BT Conversion. A favorite of mine.

I have actually seen this plane before.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
As a smokejumper pilot, this makes me incredibly sad.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a smokejumper pilot, this makes me incredibly sad.
View Quote

You have to have photos!

I'd love to see them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Technically not even a DC-3.  It's a BT-67.  Different type rating even from the DC-3.  Basler takes a C-47 airframe (conversion cannot be done with a DC-3, need the heavy gear of a C-47) and zero times the airframe.  Cut the fuselage in half behind the "chopper" door and install a 47" plug in the fuselage to lengthen it.  For CG reasons - if you look close at one you'll notice the chopper door on the piston plane is right in line with the prop arc, hence "chopper" door.  On the BT-67 the chopper door is again right in line with the prop arc (P&W PT6-67 motors), even though the turbines are mounted forward for CG and much longer than the 1830 or 1820 it previously wore.  Again, zero time the airfame, all new wiring, slight mod to the leading edge of the wing, different wing tip, new everything else - electrical, hydraulic, avionics, all of it.  I've seen then with FLIR pods under the nose, radar reflective paint, guns mounted all over.  They're used in Central America for drug interdiction, they've shot down planes with BT's before (the gun camera footage made it's way to Oshkosh but vanished quickly - this was early 1990's).   I believe only one or so was ever purchased privately, the rest are all US or foreign governments.  They were used for cloud seeding programs.  Hauling voting ballots around African countries.  Really neat airplane.

I grew up in Oshkosh and worked for Basler in the 1990's.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Technically not even a DC-3.  It's a BT-67.  Different type rating even from the DC-3.  Basler takes a C-47 airframe (conversion cannot be done with a DC-3, need the heavy gear of a C-47) and zero times the airframe.  Cut the fuselage in half behind the "chopper" door and install a 47" plug in the fuselage to lengthen it.  For CG reasons - if you look close at one you'll notice the chopper door on the piston plane is right in line with the prop arc, hence "chopper" door.  On the BT-67 the chopper door is again right in line with the prop arc (P&W PT6-67 motors), even though the turbines are mounted forward for CG and much longer than the 1830 or 1820 it previously wore.  Again, zero time the airfame, all new wiring, slight mod to the leading edge of the wing, different wing tip, new everything else - electrical, hydraulic, avionics, all of it.  I've seen then with FLIR pods under the nose, radar reflective paint, guns mounted all over.  They're used in Central America for drug interdiction, they've shot down planes with BT's before (the gun camera footage made it's way to Oshkosh but vanished quickly - this was early 1990's).   I believe only one or so was ever purchased privately, the rest are all US or foreign governments.  They were used for cloud seeding programs.  Hauling voting ballots around African countries.  Really neat airplane.

View Quote

Cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cool, thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks!

NEAT.

We used to fly on DC-3s around the carribean when I was a young pup.

You can dive on one in St. Thomas.  It went into the drink not long after takeoff and fortunately all the people on board made it off safely.

http://www.divingstthomas.com/dc3airplane.htm
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Cool, thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, thanks!
wow thats a lot of work!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
That is a nice plane, It has a lot of small stuff due and a lower wing inspection overdue . It has 18800 hours , not sure how that is for this plane .
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

the faa has it registered as a dc-3c with turbo prop-type engines, but down the page it says it has twin wasps.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#16]
So it's a DC-3 on paper. Still a Basler converted C-47.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes it was a Basler conversion to DC3C, according to the data plate.

I was surprised the plate didn't say BT-67.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#18]
She is at 2.7 million. My low bid wouldn't cut it!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Auction closed at $3,003,000.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Auction closed at $3,003,000.
View Quote

I was using Bidnapper, but so were they.  

I wonder what it's new job will be.

ETA: It looks like someone really was using bidnapper.

Bidders in the Auction (Current top 10 bidders)
Bidder Bid Amount Date-Time
Bidder#1 (Current High Bid) 3,003,000 USD 07/22/2016 10:49:02 AM CT
Bidder#3 3,002,000 USD 07/22/2016 10:49:02 AM CT
Bidder#6 1,011,000 USD 07/22/2016 06:28:13 AM CT
Bidder#5 252,000 USD 07/21/2016 10:48:03 PM CT
Bidder#4 52,000 USD 07/21/2016 08:45:12 PM CT
Bidder#2 28,000 USD 07/21/2016 12:27:55 AM CT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top