Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 4:21:00 PM EDT
Link to crash info

AIRCRAFT ON LANDING GEAR COLLAPSED AND WENT OFF THE RUNWAY, FALSE RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT, NEW ROADS, LOUISIANA.
View Quote

Cessna 206
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Landing Gear collapse? Probbly down locks failed.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

aren't the 206's nose heavy? You think he planted the gear too hard?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably, Land cessna single engines on the mains any way you can.
Land them on the nose and bad things happen, bent firewalls come to mind.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ouch. I didn't see a pic of the crash. I'll have to see if the pilot has one when I talk to him.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Retractable 206????????? Is there even such a thing?

Ditto on landing on the nose gear on small Cessnas
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The cargo pod saved it from a bunch of damage. Lucky.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cargo pod saved it from a bunch of damage. Lucky.

View Quote

Any insight into what happened?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

down locks on a 206?  how ya break those?!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought a 206 with retractable gear was a 210.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought a 206 with retractable gear was a 210.
View Quote

you must have to hit the nose gear pretty hard to break a fixed nose gear?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Porpoising can get it done pretty quick. Especially in the heavier Cessna singles. And it looked like it came off the runway sideways from the apparent damage and the ruts in the grass.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Porpoising can get it done pretty quick. Especially in the heavier Cessna singles. And it looked like it came off the runway sideways from the apparent damage and the ruts in the grass.
View Quote

I heard it flipped, but it sounds like it just landed on it's side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]
It didn't flip. Looks like they side loaded the hell out of it but neither the wingtips or tail made ground contact.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It didn't flip. Looks like they side loaded the hell out of it but neither the wingtips or tail made ground contact.
View Quote

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. The original story I got made it seem much worse.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw the landing gear fail on a C180 while it was taxiing so Cessna main gear does fail.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. The original story I got made it seem much worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked at it again yesterday and it did just barely drag a wingtip just enough to wrinkle the top skin a bit. Effectively they ground looped it. Impressive for a tricycle. Wish I could have watched it.

They're supposed to get it out of my hangar sometime next week weather permitting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I looked at it again yesterday and it did just barely drag a wingtip just enough to wrinkle the top skin a bit. Effectively they ground looped it. Impressive for a tricycle. Wish I could have watched it.

They're supposed to get it out of my hangar sometime next week weather permitting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update, that things going to fly out on its own power?
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#18]
No way. Gonna trailer it out. The prop is out getting repaired. The nose strut collapsed and the two main struts are trashed. I can't see how the firewall could have escaped at least minor damage and while the engine is likely okay I suspect they still want to tear it down just to check it out. The right wing is gonna have the upper skin replaced from what I'm told.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No way. Gonna trailer it out. The prop is out getting repaired. The nose strut collapsed and the two main struts are trashed. I can't see how the firewall could have escaped at least minor damage and while the engine is likely okay I suspect they still want to tear it down just to check it out. The right wing is gonna have the upper skin replaced from what I'm told.
View Quote

that sounds more like what I imagined the crash to be,

That sucks, but that's why you get insurance I guess.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not that bad. From 50 feet away if not for the nose strut you would be hard pressed to tell it was involved in an accident. It doesn't take much to bend a small plane. I've seen much much worse and people still walked out of them without anymore injury than a bruised ego.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Edit: reading is fundamental. I read the article after the thread. I'll leave my response here for educational purposes. Could this've been a hard landing on the nose with a bad shimy dampener, deflated strut or worn assembly?

Here's a video of a tricycle low wing getting into a porpoise and the nose gear collapsing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmHYWjEmkY

I'm not saying that the incident in the OP was caused by this -- also, it may technically not even be an accident. It's my understanding that what happens in a porpoising situation is that the pilot lands nose heavy, bounces, pushes forward to bring the nose back down, pulls back to arrest the descent and ends up getting out of phase with the controls and what the plane is doing. Each oscillation gets harder and a porpoise is a situation that you should be trained to identify with the student recognizing it as a situation where they should go around.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#22]
As I recall the monetary threshold for it to be an 'accident' these days is $25,000. I'm guessing it will meet that. It's a late model G1000 206.

But a little gas and some back pressure on the wheel will fix a porpoise if you have sufficient runway. Otherwise go around.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I flew the first Shamu.....if you got it going to fast it would porpoise
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As I recall the monetary threshold for it to be an 'accident' these days is $25,000. I'm guessing it will meet that. It's a late model G1000 206.

But a little gas and some back pressure on the wheel will fix a porpoise if you have sufficient runway. Otherwise go around.
View Quote

Doesn't the G1000 have a landing button?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol I laughed more than I should at that one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The shamu planes were cool back when people didn't lose their minds about whales in zoos. I still miss the brown and tan straight pipe southwest jets.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The shamu planes were cool back when people didn't lose their minds about whales in zoos. I still miss the brown and tan straight pipe southwest jets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a couple  they've painted like that flying around.

I enjoy their different liveries
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I always wanted to put afterburners on the old catsup/mustard colored 200's.

Hot pants and hot planes....those were the good ole days. My first three years there I never got above FL 230 and every flight was constantly bumping the clacker. We couldn't get additional airplanes because they weren't available so we ran them at max mach like we stole them to increase utilization.

One of my fondest memories about hauling ass was at ELP in late 70's/early 80's. We would push off the gate for RW22 and have to taxi out behind the "Air Nazi's" highly polished and snail paced taxiing DC-10's. The ground controllers would let us use the parallel taxiway and we would go by the battle star like it was stuck in the mud. We would take off to the southwest and make our left turn for Dallas. We would be out of 10,000' accelerating through 320KIAS for 350KIAS on an east bound heading before the battle star had reached the end of the runway

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top