Any word on the pilots name?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate when they call it a stunt plane.  

Any word on the pilots name?
View Quote

I have a feeling I know who it is.  But I will not say right now,  until I hear more.  

Its confirmed.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Greg Connell.

RIP    

Website

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/gregconnellairshows/
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I got to know Greg as a customer a few years ago and he was just a pleasure to work with, the nicest and most polite person you could meet.  Incredibly enthusiastic about aviation and a very experienced pilot.  We were Facebook friends and after Sandy Hook I wrote a post about how once again guns and gun owners were about to take the blame for this tragedy and the media will distort and ignore the facts about gun ownership.  Greg replied to my post in full agreement.   The world has lost a great pilot, aviation ambassador and second amendment guy, just a tragedy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#9]
RIP fellow aviator.    I soloed on  that runway in 1986
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
It looked to me like the opposite of what happened to Sean Tucker a few years ago. The way the airplane waggles in the powered descent I think his control stick broke off but instead of being on the top side of the loop he was on the bottom with no altitude to recover.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It looked to me like the opposite of what happened to Sean Tucker a few years ago. The way the airplane waggles in the powered descent I think his control stick broke off but instead of being on the top side of the loop he was on the bottom with no altitude to recover.
View Quote

It looked like he was in trouble at the top.  The plane seemed to be a little unstable as he pulled out of the apex of the climb.  That said,  the last show I was at locally here,  one of the performers in a pitts came off the end of the runway at about 100 feet all sorts of wonkey.  Once he got some altitude and steadied the plane he radioed that his rudder pedal had broken off.  He landed for a while and was back in the air later that afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Sad for the pilot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Looked like a nasty little accelerated stall right at ground level. Ouch.
View Quote
This

That impact angle. Pilot was most likely DRT

Edti: read the rest of the thread, RIP Greg

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, this is why I don't even enjoy going to airshows anymore.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Honestly, this is why I don't even enjoy going to airshows anymore.  
View Quote

Honestly,  The thrill of flying has been tarnished quite a lot for me in the past few years due to crashes and the loss of friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top