Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2016 9:23:10 AM EDT
How many people can a 208 haul?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/13/small-plane-carrying-over-dozen-skydivers-crashes-in-california-vineyard.html?intcmp=hplnws

FRESNO, Calif. –  A small plane carrying 17 skydivers clipped a pickup then landed upside-down in a vineyard, officials said Thursday, but the worst injuries were minor cuts and scrapes.

The single-engine plane experienced trouble shortly after taking off from the Parachute Center skydiving school north of Lodi, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said in a statement.

The pilot tried returning the Cessna 208 to the airport, Gregor said.

The plane crashed less than a mile from the airport on the opposite side of Highway 99, a major route in California, said Lt. Dan Schmierer of the Woodbridge Rural Fire District. Nobody on the ground was hurt.

Schmierer said he expected the worst when he heard about the crash. Pulling up to the scene, however, the pilot and his passengers were all standing around in a group.

"I think some of them were in shock," Schmierer said. "They were all happy to be walking away from the crash."

Schmierer credited the pilot, who also sustained minor injuries, for apparently flying the plane under power lines and away from a house about 75 feet from the crash scene.

One skydiver praised the pilot for the way the crash landing was handled, and that everybody survived, Schmierer said.

The Parachute Center's website claims to be "one of the largest and oldest drop zones in the United States," in operation since 1964. It says that experienced skydivers can jump from 13,000 feet.

A person answering the phone at the Parachute Center declined to comment on the crash. Authorities are investigating what happened.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Apparently only 16
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Crew: one or two
Capacity: nine passengers or 13 with FAR Part 23 waiver

Empty weight: 4,558 lb (2,067 kg) (weight of typically equipped unit is 2127 kg/4690 lb)
Gross weight: 8,807 lb (3,995 kg) (maximum landing weight is 3856 kg/8500 lb.)

Fuel capacity: 335.6 gallon/2246 lb

4249 useful load.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
It's rare, but PT6's do fail.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
On 9-29-1985 one crashed in Butts County Ga and killed all 17 on board.The report concluded contaminated fuel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing that the jumpers were sitting in the floor.  It's amazing that nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have had to shut down a PT-6.  I don't like single engine airplanes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Impressive flying . Time for a lottery ticket
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Impressive flying . Time for a lottery ticket
View Quote

Meh, crashing is easy.    
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
here is a video

handled well

not as bad as I thought

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article77522927.html
View Quote

I thought it would have been much more violent.  You couldn't even tell they flipped over.  Looks like they would have been fine if the nose gear hadn't folded.  Why they insist on putting them on planes, I can't understand.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Read on another forum it was N1114A.  I flew it many, many moons ago.  Glad everyone walked away; sucks to see the plane meet its fate like that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?  I know a lot of guys who have had a PT-6 set 'em down.  Enough that I'm comfortable flying a 1340 vs a PT-whatever.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How many people can a 208 haul?
View Quote

Depends on the exact model. The Super Caravan can hold 18 or 19 without issue.

http://florida.skydivespaceland.com/super-caravan-seating/

Smaller Caravan I think it is 16 or 17
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I thought it would have been much more violent.  You couldn't even tell they flipped over.  Looks like they would have been fine if the nose gear hadn't folded.  Why they insist on putting them on planes, I can't understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
here is a video

handled well

not as bad as I thought

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? I know a lot of guys who have had a PT-6 set 'em down.  Enough that I'm comfortable flying a 1340 vs a PT-whatever.  

Ok, now I'm picturing a Caravan with a radial engine and a tail wheel.

Would be an awesome airplane!
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
So, deadsticked it under powerlines?  Holy hell.  So, did the nosewheel hit the pickup and that's why he flipped, or did the gear just dig in?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw an AN-2 up close.  It looked like something a high school shop class built out of corrugated tin.

Quoted:

AN-2 ?

A popular jump plane in a lot of the former combloc nations...........

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/images/an-2-66p04.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Ok, now I'm picturing a Caravan with a radial engine and a tail wheel.

Would be an awesome airplane!

AN-2 ?

A popular jump plane in a lot of the former combloc nations...........

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/images/an-2-66p04.jpg

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks like they would have been fine if the nose gear hadn't folded.  Why they insist on putting them on planes, I can't understand.
View Quote

Taildraggers are easier to flip than nose draggers.  I fly a tail dragger for a living and tailwheels are a constant and never ending royal PITA.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
here is a video

handled well

not as bad as I thought

Interesting video.    That Pedro guy is funny, but pretty fucking annoying.   "Open da Door!...Open Da Door!"        Just STFU up Dude.  

What are we looking at, as far as the aircraft?      I can't see much on the panel, except maybe an illuminated light?  .. but some of you guys are better at noticing the small details.      
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Taildraggers are easier to flip than nose draggers.  I fly a tail dragger for a living and tailwheels are a constant and never ending royal PITA.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like they would have been fine if the nose gear hadn't folded.  Why they insist on putting them on planes, I can't understand.

I was actually joking, but truth be told, I would much rather be in a tail dragger if I had to land in a rough field.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was actually joking, but truth be told, I would much rather be in a tail dragger if I had to land in a rough field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is nose wheels are made for improved runways. Tail wheels not so much.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've jumped there before and with the owner, Bill Dause

but that was a long time ago.

Everyone onboard a jump plane needs to be secured inside the cabin, typically below 2,000' AGL

If not typical aviation seatbelts, they're a similar, but shorter type, secured through the parachute harness.

(either/or as required by FAR's)

ETA: sitting on the floor is common in some of the smaller aircraft. I've seen benches used (or not) on King Air / Caravan sized planes.

lots of knocking around inside the cabin, I'm sure.

There are jumpers who wear helmets, and those who do not.  I'm of the former.

Lodi is known for the 'more experienced' jumpers, so the fact that no one really got hurt getting banged around is 'interesting'

ETA: (student jumpers are required to wear helmets, and they are recommended to all jumpers)
View Quote
My first tandem was with Bill. Stepdad jumped there for a few years in the mid 90's. Bill and Kathy are awesome.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bill and Kathy are awesome.  
View Quote

The Lodi DZ and owner Bill Dause has a known history of not doing maintenance. I have been jumping for 24 years and I will NEVER get on a plane owned by them.

"Separately, the Federal Aviation Administration also proposed fining an owner of a California parachute jumping operation $664,000 for flying a plane more than 2,600 times with critical equipment overdue for replacement and without making required inspections."

"The Parachute Center of Acampo, in Northern California, operated a 20-passenger DeHavilland DHC-6 Twin Otter on more than 2,600 flights when critical parts were well past their life limits and without inspecting portions of the wings for corrosion."

http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/article_a39aee86-d6df-11df-a18e-001cc4c03286.html

The government alleges that The Parachute Center operated the aircraft on approximately 2,121 flights between March 21, 2008 and Nov. 4, 2009 with elevator control cables that were overdue for replacement and when the plane was not in compliance with airworthiness directives requiring visual inspections of the wing main spar, lower spar cap extensions and wing support strut for possible corrosion.

The FAA also alleges that the company operated the aircraft on at least 500 flights between April 16, 2009 and Nov. 4, 2009 with aileron control cables that were overdue for replacement.

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2008/a08p0242/a08p0242.asp
"One of the items listed on the maintenance check sheet required inspection of the high-pressure fuel pump of both engines. It indicated the following: "Engine-driven fuel pump coupling shaft – Inspect for fretting and/or corrosion when replacing outlet filter." While the inspection for the right-hand engine was initialled as completed by the Airframe and Power-Plant (A&P) mechanic, the same item for the left engine was marked as not applicable (N/A). The mechanic was not aware of the procedure in the PWC Maintenance Manual, which details how to inspect the splines in situ using a cotton swab."

"However, the passenger seating configuration and the practice of not wearing seat belts likely contributed to the severity of injuries to the passengers."

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top