Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 8:30:16 AM EDT
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2016/April/19/Senate-passes-FAA-reauthorization?WT.mc_id=160422epilot&WT.mc_sect=tts

The Senate has passed FAA reauthorization legislation, including third class medical reform, on a 95-to-3 vote with strong bipartisan support. The measure would authorize FAA programs until Sept. 30, 2017. Final passage on April 19 followed a procedural vote the previous day.

“This is a solid bill for general aviation,” said AOPA President Mark Baker. “The third class medical reform language goes far beyond the AOPA-EAA 2012 petition and means that hundreds of thousands of pilots will never need another FAA medical exam. Getting these reforms is vital to the entire general aviation community. Add to that the fact that there are no user fees for general aviation in this bill and there are provisions to continue research into unleaded fuels and increase grants for improvements to GA airports, and it’s all good news for GA.”

Baker went on to note that the FAA reauthorization bill marks the second time in five months that the Senate has passed bipartisan third class medical reform.

“There are now several bills in the House of Representatives that will get third class medical reform across the finish line thanks to the leadership of our members and Senators John Thune, Jim Inhofe, Joe Manchin, John Boozman, and Bill Nelson,” Baker said.

Under the Senate bill passed April 19, most pilots who have had a regular or special issuance third class medical certificate within 10 years of enactment will never need to see an aviation medical examiner again. Pilots would need to see a personal physician every four years, make note of the visit in their logbook, and keep a form signed by the doctor in their logbook following the examination.

Additionally, should a pilot develop certain specific cardiac, mental health, or neurological conditions, they will only have to get an FAA special issuance medical once.

“I am pleased that the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 was included in the Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act that passed the Senate,” said Inhofe, who sponsored the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 legislation. “I am grateful for the strong and consistent voice of AOPA members who shared why third class medical reform is necessary. I want to thank Mark Baker, the president of AOPA, and his team for their leadership and support from the beginning. I look forward to continuing to work with AOPA and the whole general aviation community to see the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 be enacted into law.”

Compared to the earlier third class medical petition, the legislation would give pilots greater latitude, allowing them to fly aircraft up to 6,000 pounds and carrying up to five passengers at altitudes below 18,000 feet and speeds up to 250 knots.

Unlike an earlier House bill, the Senate FAA reauthorization legislation does not include user fees for GA, nor does it privatize air traffic control.

The FAA is currently operating under an extension through July. With the Senate bill now passed, the House will have to move swiftly to consider the Senate measure or adopt its own bill in order for FAA reauthorization to become law ahead of the July deadline.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Good.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Step in the right direction.   Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
It's about flippin' time.  And, if I'm going more than 250 kts I have more problems than just lacking a medical.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if I ever get enough money banked to own my own airplane, without having a medical, that'll be pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I am glad it is moving forward I do wish they would have dispensed with the crap about a doctor sign off.   It is meaningless. The doctor could see you today and you can fall over dead tomorrow and it rarely happens anyway.  Government just can't let go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank God.  

My medical just expired and I was a little stressed about going to get it renewed.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Good. The medical exam process keeps more sick people up flying than it prevents. It discouraged people seeking treatment in a lot of cases IMO.

One of my ground instructors at flight school said the day before his heart attack as an IP he was 100% good to go with a 90% blockage to the right anterior descending artery in his heart. Why? Because nobody knew about it.

The next day after a trip to the catch lab with the blockage cleared and nearly 100% cardiac function restored he was permanently grounded.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good. The medical exam process keeps more sick people up flying than it prevents. It discouraged people seeking treatment in a lot of cases IMO.

One of my ground instructors at flight school said the day before his heart attack as an IP he was 100% good to go with a 90% blockage to the right anterior descending artery in his heart. Why? Because nobody knew about it.

The next day after a trip to the catch lab with the blockage cleared and nearly 100% cardiac function restored he was permanently grounded.

View Quote

One of the first things I heard when I started flying was to treat your AME and your personal doctor like your mistress and your wife, may they never meet.  Doesn't seem to make anything safer.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Wait...

So there are no more third class medicals being issued?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Still has to pass the house and signed by BHO.  

I'm just a bill yes I'm only a bill...
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wait...

So there are no more third class medicals being issued?
View Quote

No, it will require an original third class but only the original unless your PMD determines there are changes in certain conditions.
Means you will be self regulating your medical.

At least that what I got out of reading it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Still has to pass the house and signed by BHO.  

I'm just a bill yes I'm only a bill...
View Quote

Thanks for that... now I have that damn song running in my head.

"...and I'm sittin' on top of the Capitol Hill..."

I think it still sucks having to get an initial 3rd class for newbies, but I'm glad for the step forward.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
so I am still screwed by my ADD diagnosis?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top