Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 8:00:39 PM EDT
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a19202/heres-how-f-15s-practice-intercept-procedures-for-the-super-bowl/

Sure seems like this mission would be better suited with coordination between fighters and helicopters.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They'll probably get some action.

People just love busting TFRs

The amount of coordination in these things is pretty awesome.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I listen to the TFR CAPs in the DC area when they happen.  The Coast Guard helicopters usually deal with the slow movers, at least when they're not too far out.  CG and Civil Air Patrol both participate with the fighters in the intercept training that happens late at night into early morning every few months.  When POTUS is at Camp David it seems there is also a helo manned by USSS in that area.  In the real intercepts the jets drop flares.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Clearly a lag/displacement roll by the CAP pilot would have been a better bet than simply droning along. A quick roll and he'd be within the WEZ to call a tracking shot on the F-15. And the F-15, being well under corner, wouldn't be able to do much about it (at least not right away).   His -2 though...
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The CHP AS350 has been getting LOTS of blade time.  I saw one in formation, behind two Blakchawks, today.  Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:22:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clearly a lag/displacement roll by the CAP pilot would have been a better bet than simply droning along. A quick roll and he'd be within the WEZ to call a tracking shot on the F-15. And the F-15, being well under corner, wouldn't be able to do much about it (at least not right away).   His -2 though...
View Quote

A lag roll in a 182 would be pretty damn funny, until 2 stitched his initials into the back of the 182.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I love getting intercepted. I had it happen outside Moody once but I couldn't snag a picture.

These days when it happens I can always tell a newbie. Run up to 310 for a few minutes, rip the throttles to idle, pop the boards then dirty her up as he flies on by. It's a trick I can only get away with once.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love getting intercepted. I had it happen outside Moody once but I couldn't snag a picture.

These days when it happens I can always tell a newbie. Run up to 310 for a few minutes, rip the throttles to idle, pop the boards then dirty her up as he flies on by. It's a trick I can only get away with once.
View Quote

Intercepts are interesting to watch, they come screaming in then try to slow down to chase the target.

One time all the violators went into a small uncontrolled airport, the interceptors orbited it for a while while the ATCSCC coordinated with local law enforcement to go to the airport.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Intercepts are interesting to watch, they come screaming in then try to slow down to chase the target.

One time all the violators went into a small uncontrolled airport, the interceptors orbited it for a while while the ATCSCC coordinated with local law enforcement to go to the airport.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My favorite was getting intercepted by a DCAG.  By the time we received the BRA call he was in visual and screaming down on us. He got close and seemed to just magically stop and stick 15m off my wing. He stayed there for almost two hours never waivering. The dude was good.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a19202/heres-how-f-15s-practice-intercept-procedures-for-the-super-bowl/

Sure seems like this mission would be better suited with coordination between fighters and helicopters.
View Quote

It is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd love to see a solid stream of VFR aircraft busting TFR as protest.  These things are ridiculous.

Ok, if not bust it, then flying circles around it, just to it a pain in the ass.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd love to see a solid stream of VFR aircraft busting TFR as protest.  These things are ridiculous.

Ok, if not bust it, then flying circles around it, just to it a pain in the ass.

View Quote

.2 of a mile outside with random changes in direction would be infuriating.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suggest P-40.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done ACM against A-10's and F-16's over South Jersey.    .   Back when flying was fun.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top