Posted: 2/4/2016 11:05:40 AM EDT
2 hrs of fuel to burn off.
Right next to an airport

Why?

http://www.kitv.com/story/31123525/cessna-lands-in-water-off-lagoon-dr-pilot-ok
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF????  My thought exactly.

Maybe he had a good reason, but I would be scared to death of flipping it and/or drowning.  Bellying in on the pavement would be my first choice any day.

Either way, the engines are F'd now.  Probably more salt water damage to it than metal work on the belly.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wtf indeed.  

No way would I ditch vs bellying it in on a runway.  

Maybe he really hated the plane, and wanted to finish it off with a nice saltwater bath.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Maybe he had a good reason, but I would be scared to death of flipping it and/or drowning.  Bellying in on the pavement would be my first choice any day.

Either way, the engines are F'd now.  Probably more salt water damage to it than metal work on the belly.

View Quote

Totalled now for insurance reasons? I can't come up with any reason not to gear it up on a runway.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know what he was thinking. I can gear up on the runway and go though the repair process away from home at a strange airport or I can get out from owning this thing altogether.
But then again stress can make folks not think strait sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wtf indeed.  

No way would I ditch vs bellying it in on a runway.  

Maybe he really hated the plane, and wanted to finish it off with a nice saltwater bath.
View Quote

It looked like a Skymaster to me, I would have wanted to finish it off too!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw a 337 belly land on 13R at KBFI several years ago. Saw him on short final then noticed his mains looking like the legs of a wasp in flight. He touched down and stopped in about 300 ft. Closed the main runway down for a few hours.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Something don't smell right. Strange airport? He was in Honolulu. You suppose he flew out there from California? 2 hours of fuel? Don't they foam runways for this sort of thing, time permitting?

ETA: I guess that's no longer a standard practice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_path
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Something don't smell right. Strange airport? He was in Honolulu. You suppose he flew out there from California? 2 hours of fuel? Don't they foam runways for this sort of thing, time permitting?

ETA: I guess that's no longer a standard practice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_path
View Quote

For most light aircraft, if there is about 1500 feet of grass, you can belly it in with little or limited damage, especially if you stop the engine and motor the prop into place.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came here to post this...

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of all the mechanics' children who will now starve!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly. But at least now those children won't be fatherless from their father hanging himself after working on one of those bastards.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a former C337 owner, I can confirm.  I don't miss that plane.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#16]
My neighbor set his   sea plane     down on a concrete runway a perfect keel landing. We  jacked it up so the gear could come down and he taxied back to the hanger for minor repairs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Exactly what I would have done
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For most light aircraft, if there is about 1500 feet of grass, you can belly it in with little or limited damage, especially if you stop the engine and motor the prop into place.

I was taught not to pick the grass, if pavement is an option.

Grass / dirt there is more of a possibility of digging something in, and somersaulting /tumbling.

In hard pavement, you just slide /grind to a halt.

Same as crashing on a motorcycle, things tend to slide until you reach the grass or dirt on the side

of the track, and then the tumbling and destruction starts.

I have personally tested this with a motorcycle, not with a 'plane, yet.

IMHO YMMV

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like an insurance deal to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Grass / dirt there is more of a possibility of digging something in, and somersaulting /tumbling.

Same as crashing on a motorcycle, things tend to slide until you reach the grass or dirt on the side

IMHO YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO YMMV

This +1
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I've still got 500 more "other than paved" landings in my logbook than paved landings.  If I were familiar with the local terrain and the consistency of the turf I'd pick the turf so long as it was try and level-ish.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've still got 500 more "other than paved" landings in my logbook than paved landings.  If I were familiar with the local terrain and the consistency of the turf I'd pick the turf so long as it was try and level-ish.
View Quote

Never landed gear up but hanger talk said asphalt/concrete was preferred as grass/sod had a tendency to roll up and tear sheet metal.
Got no idea if true.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe he didn't like fire?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Never landed gear up but hanger talk said asphalt/concrete was preferred as grass/sod had a tendency to roll up and tear sheet metal.
Got no idea if true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got no idea if true.

I've rebuilt GA planes after both, I prefer dirt cleanout.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#24]
one less Polish buzzbomb
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about grass, but I think you would be better off on the runway.  Something might dig into the grass and flip you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Seems there would be fewer sparks on the grass?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Registration required
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Registration required
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Registration required

Along with a 48hr authorization period.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Crap, sorry about that link. I've been a member there long enough that it didn't even dawn on me that you'd need to be registered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top