Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
B36 Engineer panel

F.M.L.

Wow
View Quote

Same thing I thought!!!  And what is up with the shag green seats in the B1 Lancer?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Awesome link, thanks for posting it up.

ETA: I recently went out to the Pima Air/Space Museum (by the DM boneyard) and they had a B-36 on the grounds...I knew the B-36 was big, but holy shit. It was impressive to see how big it was in person.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same thing I thought!!!  And what is up with the shag green seats in the B1 Lancer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
B36 Engineer panel

F.M.L.

Wow

That's the normal type of seat pad for the ACES II seat. Most are black but for what ever reason the B-1 is green.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for not letting me get anything else productive done today...
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the throttles on the A-10.

"Hey Pete!  Go carve up the countertop in the breakroom and make me some handles!"
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of those cockpits are amazingly simple.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd hate to have to fly an approach from the back seat of the B-45, what a horrible cockpit arrangement.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Whoa!

Take a look at the Flight Deck overview on the C-141. Apparently that aircraft made a trip from Vietnam to the Philippines circa 1975.

Wonder if I ever touched that plane at Kadena.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are some bad ones arent there... but from my experience, as long as the planes have the 1960s style grey / black ADI, it ain't that bad.  The old ADIs like that precessed bad, but the upside was that they could be levelled by the little knob.  So, when you were configured on the approach and 0VVI, level the ADI and just look at what is important... it takes a little mental math sometimes with the descent rates, but  I honestly prefer that old grey/black ADI with the pitch & bank steering bars to the newer blue/black steam ADIs with their so called flight directors.

The below links are to a great panel.  Those cross hairs on the ADI aren't flight directors.  They are weird, but I like them.  Sadly, I will never see them again.  That ancient drum air speed indicator though... is hard to get used to.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/090/C-130E%20Pilot%20Station.html

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/090/C-130E%20Copilot%20Station.html

Plus, check out the ADFs on the co pilots side of the pedestal.  Coffee grinder carrier wave style.  You actually have to listen to the wwwwwwwwwwwweeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww sound to tune it.  I was told, that they were the same as on the old prop bombers.
View Quote

Those CDUs and VVIs look downright out of place on that panel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There are some bad ones arent there... but from my experience, as long as the planes have the 1960s style grey / black ADI, it ain't that bad.  The old ADIs like that precessed bad, but the upside was that they could be levelled by the little knob.  So, when you were configured on the approach and 0VVI, level the ADI and just look at what is important... it takes a little mental math sometimes with the descent rates, but  I honestly prefer that old grey/black ADI with the pitch & bank steering bars to the newer blue/black steam ADIs with their so called flight directors.

The below links are to a great panel.  Those cross hairs on the ADI aren't flight directors.  They are weird, but I like them.  Sadly, I will never see them again.  That ancient drum air speed indicator though... is hard to get used to.

Plus, check out the ADFs on the co pilots side of the pedestal.  Coffee grinder carrier wave style.  You actually have to listen to the wwwwwwwwwwwweeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww sound to tune it.  I was told, that they were the same as on the old prop bombers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd hate to have to fly an approach from the back seat of the B-45, what a horrible cockpit arrangement.

I actually prefer the "dual cue" or crosshair flight directors over the "single cue" batwing style, but thats just me.  I've had the chance to use one of the coffee grinder ADF's, as well as fly an airplane with an all black sperry horizon, and one of these DG's..I'd rather work behind a PFD these days, it's hard to beat having it all on one tube, along with the trend vectors.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]

The signatures all over the 141 is pretty cool
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always been fascinated by the B-26 waist gunner positions.  I've always thought it would be a hell of a thing to be sitting there, at altitude, above those gaping holes.

My pic from the museum:

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I actually prefer the "dual cue" or crosshair flight directors over the "single cue" batwing style, but thats just me.  I've had the chance to use one of the coffee grinder ADF's, as well as fly an airplane with an all black sperry horizon, and one of these DG's..I'd rather work behind a PFD these days, it's hard to beat having it all on one tube, along with the trend vectors.

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/11-25-14/_57_zpspccvhgkk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/11-25-14/_57_zpspccvhgkk.jpg</a>
View Quote

I pulled a DG just like that and the all black artificial horizon out of our 172.  They're now sitting on the bookshelf in my wife's office. They look a lot better there than in the panel.

I didn't have much experience with the dual cue FDs until the 'bus, everything else I've flown had single cue Collins.  I prefer it now as well, but it could just be because it works a lot better than in the old stuff I'd been flying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top