Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, that was hard to watch. I remember watching that Mustang in Leesburg, FL several years back.

In happier times. I'm sure the mechanics will get her flying once again.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a real shame, but at least the pilot is OK; hopefully they can repair it back to flying condition.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh Man!

I just watched the restoration show last night.  Aircorps Aviation in Bemidji, MN did the restoration.  The show was a couple of weeks old and they were just flying it to Iowa at that time.

I hope they can save her.  They're such cool planes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh Man!

I just watched the restoration show last night.  Aircorps Aviation in Bemidji, MN did the restoration.  The show was a couple of weeks old and they were just flying it to Iowa at that time.

View Quote
Many Mustangs flying today have many fabricated parts or replacement parts. Some the only thing original is the data plate.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It is only bent....not smashed,

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
If that is the airplane that I'm thinking it is, this isn't the first time it has crashed.

It will fly again.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Many Mustangs flying today have many fabricated parts or replacement parts. Some the only thing original is the data plate.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh Man!

ARC at Duxford said if you bring them 3.5 million pounds, a data plate and a Merlin, you can have a Spit.

One reason that aviation archeology is so popular.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]

That airplane has already killed one friend of mine, hopefully this is the last time it gets dinged.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I knew that plane looked familiar

In WA state

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oh Man!

View Quote

Maybe the original restoration.  

I worked on the restoration of that plane after its crash in Redwing MN killed a 30,000 hour (Iirc) commercial rated pilot.  

That is an easy million dollar belly landing.  Would have been much less damage to skid in on the runway.  

Just looking at it.  The prop,  engine,  cowl,  possibly the motor mounts,  flaps,  radiator scoop,  radiators,  gear doors,  and skins.  

That gearbox on the Merlin is part of the engine block.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That airplane has already killed one friend of mine, hopefully this is the last time it gets dinged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sorry.  I remember when that happened.  And what's worse is it was a completely preventable problem that caused the crash.  

Iirc,  it was a tree branch that entered one of the windows and hit Don in the head.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This time the airplane wasn't at fault. You have to actually move the gear handle for it to move !
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#15]
dupe
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
dupe
View Quote

Check the post dates Sir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top