Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 2:00:12 PM EDT
Passengers were likely fortunate that the explosion was at one of the strongest parts of the airframe (over the wing-body join and center wing box).  The Russian Metrojet (EI-ETJ) A321 explosion over the Sinai is believed to have occurred near the tail, in Row 31.  Given the circumstances and geography, it would be interesting to learn if this truly was an "oxygen bottle explosion," or a device similar to the type used on the Metrojet flight.

Here's link to video inside the cabin after the explosion:

https://www.facebook.com/akullane/videos/1027315734027220/

Accident: Daallo A321 near Mogadishu on Feb 2nd 2016, explosion rips fuselage open

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Feb 2nd 2016 15:27Z, last updated Tuesday, Feb 2nd 2016 16:04Z

The Aviation Herald

A Daallo Airlines Airbus A321-200, registration SX-BHS performing flight D3-159 from Mogadishu (Somalia) to Djibouti (Djibouti) with 74 people on board, was climbing out of Mogadishu about 5 minutes into the flight when an explosion was heard. The crew stopped the climb and returned the aircraft to Mogadishu for a safe landing about 20 minutes after departure. A large hole was seen at the right hand side of the fuselage above the wing. Three occupants were taken to hospitals with injuries.

The airline confirmed an explosion on board, the cause is under investigation, an oxygen bottle is being suspected. There were two injuries, one of them serious.

Somalia's Ministry of Transport reported a fire on board of the aircraft, the fire was put out. The damage to the aircraft is being assessed.

Passengers report at least one person was blown out of the aircraft.

One passenger reported he saw the explosion occur inside the aircraft a couple of seat rows ahead of him followed by an air rush and sudden drop of cabin pressure, the seat belt held him in his seat. He saw two injured people around him, one an elderly man from Finland and another one being a young Italian. The elderly man was severely burned.

Local residents at Balad (Somalia), located about 21nm north-northeast of Mogadishu Airport, reported they saw a severely burnt body fall off an unidentified aircraft.

Photos 1 & 2 by Harun Maruf. Photo 3 Goobjoog News.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow! Glad they were able to get it on the ground in (nearly) one piece.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I am 99.9% sure that wasn't an 02 bottle explosion.      Looks like ROP to me.   The pax and crew got very, very lucky.      Great job on the Cpt and F/O for getting everyone back in one piece.

-  that's why you keep your seatbelt latched, folks.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am 99.9% sure that wasn't an 02 bottle explosion.      Looks like ROP to me.   The pax and crew got very, very lucky.      Great job on the Cpt and F/O for getting everyone back in one piece.
-  that's why you keep your seatbelt latched, folks.  
View Quote
Yep.  No way I believe the O2 bottle explanation. Something akin to the soda can bomb (low-residue plastic explosive with a very thin aluminum jacket, no additional shrapnel) claimed to have brought down the Metrojet A321 would seem to be consistent with the damage photographed.

Plus, looks like soot and blood smeared on the outside of the fuselage.  If the witness statements are accurate (and that is a big "if"), the body that reportedly was blown out of the aircraft should tell the story.

Shocked that this hasn't been reported at all (as best I can tell) by any of the major news networks yet.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
No way an O2 bottle caused that. If so what the heck was an O2 bottle in that position anyway.
V
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No way an O2 bottle caused that. If so what the heck was an O2 bottle in that position anyway.
V
View Quote

Stratfor is claiming it was a suicide bombing.

https://www.stratfor.com/situation-report/somalia-failed-suicide-bombing-targets-passenger-plane
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Ho Lee Fuk
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like TWA 840.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprised the crappy Airbus held together.
V
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm surprised the crappy Airbus held together.
V
View Quote

The fuselages have never been called into question as far as I know.   It's the Flight Control System, and Electronics, and Tail assembly, which leaves something to be desired.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Looks like folks in wheelchairs will soon be getting to know members of the TSA even better...

by Simon Tomlinson and Omar Nor in Mogadishu, Somalia, For Mailonline

Daily Mail (UK)

4 February 2016

A wheelchair bound suicide bomber may have been responsible for the explosion which tore a hole in the side of a jet in Somalia, investigators have said.

They said the suspected terrorist, thought to be part of the Al-Shabaab Islamist group, may have faked a disability to bypass security checks at Mogadishu airport.

The suspected bomber is thought to be the man who was sucked out of the plane after blowing a hole in the fuselage, shortly after the plane filled with more than 70 passengers took off from the Somali capital.

*** Rest of the story is linked at the title ***
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top