But what made me laugh was

"Do you know an F16 can, if necessary,  fly on only one engine?"

"it can even go supersonic on one engine"
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A Blakhawk can fly on one engine too... Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything more than one engine is a crutch!
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Blakhawk can fly on one engine too... Ask me how I know
View Quote

OK How do you know?????????????
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh...
Piper Cub's been doin it for 66 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I was on an airliner that flew on only one engine a few months ago. The flight wasn't as long as it would have been on two engines.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did ya know that? I reddit.

View Quote

It can?

That's incredible!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Did ya know that? I reddit.

View Quote
According to an Israeli F-16 pilot I heard interviewed, the F-16 has two engines. If the big one in the back quits at low level, you generally use the smaller engine in the pilot's seat for a nylon approach and landing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I soloed single engine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#10]
So........can 2 single engine pilots fly a twin?  One flies the left engine, the other flies the right engine????
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The F16 thing is hilarious. Lol As far as the airliner thing, its kind of a requirement. Their heads would explode if they knew they could takeoff with one engine too, after V1 that is.
View Quote

How close can they get to Mach 1? On both engines of course, say a 777.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The F16 thing is hilarious. Lol As far as the airliner thing, its kind of a requirement. Their heads would explode if they knew they could takeoff with one engine too, after V1 that is.

Isn't Mne something like .9 ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm gonna go on a limb here and say a 747 can not fly on one engine...
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way above it......in a power-on dive
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will it get past, and then not break up?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

One has, actually.  Of course that single engine was a 777 engine (ge90-115b) and the three CF-6s were running, just at idle...

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, a 777 could get super-sonic in a dive. Not sure exactly what would happen, but it wouldn't be good for the airframe. Definite damage, but I'd be flat guessing as to the type/extent.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

One has, actually.  Of course that single engine was a 777 engine (ge90-115b) and the three CF-6s were running, just at idle...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Ge-747-N747GE-020918-03.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Ge-747-N747GE-020918-03.jpg

Well I'll be.....

I stand corrected, sort of  
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fly? Probably.

Climb? No.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fly? Probably.

Climb? No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fly? Probably.

Climb? No.

Maybe at a very low altitude and weight.

Granted I've never flown a 747, but in the C-17 (as in just about any multi-engine airplane, as you know) we had OEI drift down calculations from normal cruising altitudes, because even with the loss of just one engine we wouldn't be able to maintain normal altitudes. Nothing existed for 3 engines out, except the parachutes. One crew managed to barely land on 2, but it was close.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Granted I've never flown a 747, but in the C-17 (as in just about any multi-engine airplane, as you know) we had OEI drift down calculations from normal cruising altitudes, because even with the loss of just one engine we wouldn't be able to maintain normal altitudes. Nothing existed for 3 engines out, except the parachutes. One crew managed to barely land on 2, but it was close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fly? Probably.

Climb? No.

I know of a L1011 that flew from over ABQ at cruise to LAX on a single engine. The crew chose not to divert to ABQ because they didn't have one engine go around performance at 5500 MSL.

A 707 could do SE approaches with go around capability if the speeds were maintained in the 200s.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I know of a L1011 that flew from over ABQ at cruise to LAX on a single engine. The crew chose not to divert to ABQ because they didn't have one engine go around performance at 5500 MSL.

A 707 could do SE approaches with go around capability if the speeds were maintained in the 200s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fly? Probably.

Climb? No.

Pretty impressive...I certainly could be wrong. Then again, an L1011 that's on one engine has lost 66% of it's thrust, whereas a 747 on 1 has lost 75%. Same for the 707 though, so who knows.

Suppose I could reach out to a couple friends who are flying them to get to the bottom of this
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pretty impressive...I certainly could be wrong. Then again, an L1011 that's on one engine has lost 66% of it's thrust, whereas a 747 on 1 has lost 75%. Same for the 707 though, so who knows.

Suppose I could reach out to a couple friends who are flying them to get to the bottom of this
View Quote

Oh yeah...you'd have to light. I imagine its going to do a SE V1 cut. But, if you're at altitude, its different.

The big thing to consider is that > 2 engine airplanes lose less of their total excess horsepower for climbing. Thus, twin engine airplanes are always pretty overpowered. 3/4 engine airplanes aren't.

The L1011 had the fan come off one of the wing engines, fly forward, and then come back to shell the other one out. They maintained a safe altitude and airspeed over that part of the country, but a go around at LAX is a go around at sea level with no obstructions for time zones going westbound.

I know my father said the 707 was better on a single engine if it was inboard vs. outboard engine, but they were doing all of their training in the airplane.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fly? Probably.

Climb? No.

If you did a single engine go-around in a B-707 you had best be early, high,  light, clean and have more extra energy than a lizard running on a hardwood floor
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you did a single engine go-around in a B-707 you had best be early, high,  light, clean and have more extra energy than a lizard running on a hardwood floor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I would've guessed too...any aircraft that can fly and/or perform a go around on only 25% of its designed thrust seems over-engineered to me. But I have nothing solid to refute it, and Schreechjet seems to have at least some 2nd hand knowledge, so not going to say he's wrong.  [shrug]

In King Airs you can't even perform a single engine go-around once you roll flaps landing....and it's a 2 engine aircraft lol
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's what I would've guessed too...any aircraft that can fly and/or perform a go around on only 25% of its designed thrust seems over-engineered to me. But I have nothing solid to refute it, and Schreechjet seems to have at least some 2nd hand knowledge, so not going to say he's wrong.  [shrug]

In King Airs you can't even perform a single engine go-around once you roll flaps landing....and it's a 2 engine aircraft lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overloaded at ABQ in July?

Granted, there are all types of KingAirs.  

...you sure you didn't mean a QueenAir?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

King 350/350ERs. Single engine landing checklist says to delay rolling flaps landing until "no potential for a go-around exists" (or similar wording). We went ahead and interpreted that to mean gear firmly resting on the runway, and always flew our single-engine approaches/landings at takeoff flaps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top