Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2015 7:54:23 AM EDT
Hoping this is a simple question, however I understand there may be various rationale behind different answers.

What would you consider to be a very (the most) important flight instrument (keeping things simple/VFR)? Artificial horizon? Altimeter? Speed indicator(s)?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My ass.

ETA:  #2 = Airspeed indicator.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]
fuel gauges
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#3]
It is that clear plexiglass that keeps the wind out of your eyes. If you've got that your eye balls will allow you to keep your ass from getting busted
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#4]
A little background.  I've been putting together a tattoo to remember my dad who passed unexpectedly in May.  He and I share a passion for aviation and it was something we bonded over for many years through R/C and trips to various aviation museums/shows.  

Through asking more experienced aviators their idea of the most important gauge, I'm able to pull together my thoughts on where the tattoo will head.  I'm currently considering an artificial horizon and discretely swapping out some of the numbers to replace with ones of more significance.  Similar meaning and modifications could be made to a compass.

Thanks for helping to keep my gears turning.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The artificial horizon will look the coolest for a tattoo, especially since there are so many neat designs you can choose from.  
In the airplane, the most important gauge is airspeed (or Angle of Attack, if you have it).  Speed is life, keep the wing flying and all that.

But if you use the airspeed indicator or altimeter, most people will just assume it's a weird clock.  The artificial horizon is the only instrument that's specific to aviation.

Cool idea, OP.  Maybe I can sell the wife on one as a tramp stamp.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The artificial horizon will look the coolest for a tattoo, especially since there are so many neat designs you can choose from.  
In the airplane, the most important gauge is airspeed (or Angle of Attack, if you have it).  Speed is life, keep the wing flying and all that.

But if you use the airspeed indicator or altimeter, most people will just assume it's a weird clock.  The artificial horizon is the only instrument that's specific to aviation.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/741098332/bad_attitude_ipad_mini_case.jpg?height=225&width=225

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/1BMF/media/9E3B8EB1-5275-45A2-A71F-61794949FEF1_zpstvawzl8q.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/1BMF/9E3B8EB1-5275-45A2-A71F-61794949FEF1_zpstvawzl8q.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/741098332/bad_attitude_ipad_mini_case.jpg?height=225&width=225

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/1BMF/media/9E3B8EB1-5275-45A2-A71F-61794949FEF1_zpstvawzl8q.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/1BMF/9E3B8EB1-5275-45A2-A71F-61794949FEF1_zpstvawzl8q.jpg</a>

That's the one I was looking for.  The copy cats don't understand.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Airspeed indicator is the most important, although it's already been noted that no one will know what that is.

What was your father's favorite plane?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hoping this is a simple question, however I understand there may be various rationale behind different answers.

What would you consider to be a very (the most) important flight instrument (keeping things simple/VFR)? Artificial horizon? Altimeter? Speed indicator(s)?
View Quote

Airspeed is the most important, IMO. But would make a terrible tattoo. People will never make the airplane connection.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even funnier would be one exactly like the first one, except with the flag out!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Airspeed indicator is the most important, although it's already been noted that no one will know what that is.

What was your father's favorite plane?
View Quote

His favorite military aircraft would certainly be the P-51C.  

Favorite civilian plane would be the Super Cub.  We built a R/C Super Cub from scratch when I was around six.  He loved that plane dearly and my first flight, I landed it on the roof of a nearby warehouse.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey op, sorry to hear about your dad. Your shared passion for aviation will make pursuing it all the more special with the memories it'll invoke of your father.

My personal opinion (which ain't worth shit) on aviation related tattoos is that, in general, you should avoid anything too literal. Don't even consider whether or not other people will understand the tat. Fuck em. It's not their tat, body, or memory. Think figurative yet specific to your dad. I think this approach may lead to a tat that you'll be satisfied with for the long run.

I'd consider wing designs, stylized aircraft symbology, compass, globe, combination there of... etc. If he was a pilot, incorporate his certificate number. Something along those lines.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A little background.  I've been putting together a tattoo to remember my dad who passed unexpectedly in May.  He and I share a passion for aviation and it was something we bonded over for many years through R/C and trips to various aviation museums/shows.  

Through asking more experienced aviators their idea of the most important gauge, I'm able to pull together my thoughts on where the tattoo will head.  I'm currently considering an artificial horizon and discretely swapping out some of the numbers to replace with ones of more significance.  Similar meaning and modifications could be made to a compass.

Thanks for helping to keep my gears turning.
View Quote

The Attitude indicator, obviously.  Also, the DG, so you always know what direction your going.   Get this printed on you.  It has it all.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Attitude indicator, obviously.  Also, the DG, so you always know what direction your going.   Get this printed on you.  It has it all.  

http://www.b737.org.uk/images/fltinsts_standby_ng.jpg
View Quote

Hell, If you're not a small guy, you could get the whole panel done!  Have the circuit breaker panels on your sides!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#16]
How about a 6 pack?  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#17]

That would only look cool, if OP has a Sixpack on which to print it.    On most of us, it would look all lumpy and distorted.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That would only look cool, if OP has a Sixpack on which to print it.    On most of us, it would look all lumpy and distorted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sad truth.  

Hey, I know!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top