Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2015 1:08:32 PM EDT
My first thought when I saw there was a Hunter down was I hoped it wasn't anyone I know.  When I found out it was in England I was filled with relief which turned to terror when I saw the video.  Folks on the ground never knew what hit them...

What a terrible incident.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
HOLY SHIT
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The Hunters I fly with have active ejection seats.  I'm wondering if this pilot rode it all the way in trying to avoid casualties.

I certainly hope that's the case.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Very sad for all involved.  This is at least the third, or possibly fourth warbird loss in England this year.  I'll wager that a ban on the flying of privately owned warbirds is soon to follow for england.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely nuts.   Like above, I imagine big changes to airshows here.  News is saying they pulled the pilot from the wreck and he is in hospital.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely nuts.   Like above, I imagine big changes to airshows here.  News is saying they pulled the pilot from the wreck and he is in hospital.
View Quote

I don't think I would want to live after that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
British airshows can be the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very sad for all involved.  This is at least the third, or possibly fourth warbird loss in England this year.  I'll wager that a ban on the flying of privately owned warbirds is soon to follow for england.
View Quote

What were the others?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#11]
new overflight rules coming
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
You'd think the G-force of the crash would preclude survival of the pilot (not even including the fire).
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You'd think the G-force of the crash would preclude survival of the pilot (not even including the fire).
View Quote

From a few angles it looks like his rate of decent was pretty low as in he had just about pulled out of the loop and just ran out of altitude.  He may have even belly landed and skidded across the motor way not really doing too much damage to himself along the way.  If the plan bled off a lot of the energy, it wouldn't be too dissimilar from a high speed race car crash where drivers routinely survive.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Local company, ATAC, lost one of their hunters in CA earlier this year.

Grey out at the top of the loop? Looked like he waited too long to recover the loop. He seemed close to saving it but ran out of vertical room.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Local company, ATAC, lost one of their hunters in CA earlier this year.

Grey out at the top of the loop? Looked like he waited too long to recover the loop. He seemed close to saving it but ran out of vertical room.
View Quote

Tying the record for the world's lowest pass.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#16]
If you look closely at the video it looks like the nose pitched up rapidly right at the end, just prior to impact. It is commonly seen in ground impacts at the bottom of looping maneuvers, perhaps the most famous example is the USAF Thunderbird pilot ejecting from his F-16 just prior to impact at an airshow years ago.

That would make me wonder if the airplane in this case was mushing downward in an accelerated stall when ground contact occurred.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I realize its too late for this accident but why would any airshow allow planes to conduct aerial maneuvers that close to a major roadway? Any mistake, no matter how trivial or inadvertent, would cause the pilot to lose control in an area packed with vehicles and people who may have had no interest in attending the airshow and were just traveling along the highway. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should. I'd expect that the liability issues will permeate the British legal system for years to come and someone, somewhere is going to pay a pretty pound sterling for the errors committed at this event.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I realize its too late for this accident but why would any airshow allow planes to conduct aerial maneuvers that close to a major roadway? Any mistake, no matter how trivial or inadvertent, would cause the pilot to lose control in an area packed with vehicles and people who may have had no interest in attending the airshow and were just traveling along the highway. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should. I'd expect that the liability issues will permeate the British legal system for years to come and someone, somewhere is going to pay a pretty pound sterling for the errors committed at this event.
View Quote

So much speculation, blaming, etc. Did you already hire a lawyer?

Short of only holding airshows in remote areas, there will always be areas around an airshow that have people. Don't forget, something trivial or inadvertent can cause a jet travelling 200+mph to crash many miles from the airport as well.

They do set up the box to avoid the crowd, major buildings, etc. For instance, IIRC,  Oshkosh has some pretty funky restrictions that prevent any of the major teams from doing their regular routines, particularly to the north of the airport.

The roadway was probably considered low risk , but due to the traffic being jammed/stopped, happened to be full with cars.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top