Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2015 9:07:44 PM EDT
Flight through precipitation at FL450, ending in a dead stick landing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Precip at 450?    Supercooled rain in a Thunderstorm?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Stator ice from some source, most likely. They flew through the top of a dissipating thunderstorm, which is pretty sporty.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stator ice from some source, most likely. They flew through the top of a dissipating thunderstorm, which is pretty sporty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the report.  They're still probably prying the seat cushions from their backsides.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Beechjet is not a plane I would want to be in at FL 450.  That thing is underpowered at FL 350.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I listened live while sharing airspace with a United 767 who was shooting the gap between two cells at FL410 over Mason City many years ago. It was not fun listening to them drift down, after an engine failure, into the cells and literally wondering if they would survive the flight.

Stay away from thunderstorm cells, even ones you are flying way over the top of...
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
must feel like it needs to be more sporting than its little brother the mu-2
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Beechjet is not a plane I would want to be in at FL 450.  That thing is underpowered at FL 350.
View Quote

My immediate thought too...didn't even remember them being capable of flying that high (though my only experience is the T-1 variant, so the service ceiling may have been slightly different.)

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be flying one at 450 over/through a thunderstorm. This doesn't sound like an aircraft problem to me, based on the limited info available. It sounds like a poor piloting decision problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I took one to 450 a couple of times on dead heads. Topping weather is usually a bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ugh, flying fucking anything at FL450 give me the creeps.
View Quote

Can't be as creepy as flying machines with large rotating pieces of metal being the only source of lift, while at 1000' agl all the time
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You get used to it pretty fast when you're trying to make range. Typical long range profile in the GV/ 550 is to start out at 410 and step climb up to 470. Going any higher 510 was pretty much pointless other than something to talk about later but the plane will do it with around 8k pounds of fuel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You get used to it pretty fast when you're trying to make range. Typical long range profile in the GV/ 550 is to start out at 410 and step climb up to 470. Going any higher 510 was pretty much pointless other than something to talk about later but the plane will do it with around 8k pounds of fuel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are people using the nose hose?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes absolutely every time above FL350 for 135 guys and above FL410 for 91.

Yup, every time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yup, every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, every time.
We do, lol.

Truth.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yup, every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, every time.

There's a limitation from Gulfstream that the O2 mask must remain in the quick donning position above FL350 so that's where it stays.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link to report?

Tail number?

BeechJet or Nextant? Nextants will make 450 without many issues. BeechJets not so much.

Edited to add: If no tail number do we know the RK number?

Another edit to add: http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2015-08-17/fourth-beechjet-400a-flameout-mirrors-past-issues
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There's a limitation from Gulfstream that the O2 mask must remain in the quick donning position above FL350 so that's where it stays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, every time.

I'm trying to remember Air Force rules here (which I believe mimic FAA ones) but O2 is only required to be "immediately available" from FL350 to FL410 as long as both pilots are seated at the controls, I believe. Not until above 410 that one pilot has to be on O2.

Is that the same in the civilian world?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yup, every time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, every time.

Most violated FAR in the book.  Maybe not the dumbest, but definitely the most inconvenient.  I think it's hilarious, because you never see the FO on a jet crew sitting at the FBO with the red ring around his face like he's actually been wearing the thing all day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Most violated FAR in the book.  Maybe not the dumbest, but definitely the most inconvenient.  I think it's hilarious, because you never see the FO on a jet crew sitting at the FBO with the red ring around his face like he's actually been wearing the thing all day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, every time.

Nah, don't think it is. TUC at 450+ with a rapid-D is what, maybe 5 seconds?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, every time.

Exactly.  I understand the reg and see why the FAA thinks its a good idea.  That's why I said it's not the dumbest.
It's still the most violated.  We A certain operator go goes up to FL450 pretty much every leg longer than 1.5 hours (about a third of our their flights, any more).
It's probably a very good idea to be on the mask above FL410, but can you perform your duties that way?  How about single-pilot, talking on the radios?
Back in my earlier days, I tried to wear the mask and work the radios, and actually wound up with controllers asking me 1st grader math questions to determine if I was hypoxic.

I think a good compromise would be for the FAA to allow you to wear it around your neck or in your lap.  Which is what some pilots actually do.  The majority probably don't care, and leave it in the quick don mount.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:18:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Exactly.  I understand the reg and see why the FAA thinks its a good idea.  That's why I said it's not the dumbest.
It's still the most violated.  We A certain operator go goes up to FL450 pretty much every leg longer than 1.5 hours (about a third of our their flights, any more).
It's probably a very good idea to be on the mask above FL410, but can you perform your duties that way?  How about single-pilot, talking on the radios?
Back in my earlier days, I tried to wear the mask and work the radios, and actually wound up with controllers asking me 1st grader math questions to determine if I was hypoxic.

I think a good compromise would be for the FAA to allow you to wear it around your neck or in your lap.  Which is what some pilots actually do.  The majority probably don't care, and leave it in the quick don mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, every time.

Yea I hear ya...everything's weighing risk/reward in flying. I think having it around the neck/in the lap would be a pretty good compromise, too. Better to have a requirement that's moderately inconvenient but will be complied with versus a very inconvenient reg that people will simply ignore.

Though I'm on a mask every time I fly so running the aircraft single pilot and working the radios with pressure breathing is certainly possible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Though I'm on a mask every time I fly so running the aircraft single pilot and working the radios with pressure breathing is certainly possible.
View Quote

Oh, I agree.  But there's a big difference in comfort between the military mask and the civilian quick-don like Eros.  The civie masks aren't designed for long-term comfort at all.  And the oxy mask mic sucks on all the ones we have.  

If we had decent flexible masks like the .mil has, it'd be no issue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Why not the little nose tubes?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have to be able to deliver positive pressure in an emergecy.  Tubes can't do that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Canulas are only good for operations below FL180.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Have to be able to deliver positive pressure in an emergecy.  Tubes can't do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  The purpose is not only to provide oxygen, but also prevent smoke inhalation, fumes from burning plastic, etc.  Further, positive pressure breathing is required to remain conscious above 30,000 feet, due to the partial pressure of oxygen being insufficient.  The masks in the back aren't effective above 25k.
Cannulas aren't even allowed for 135 or 121 commercial operations.  Even the crew masks in emergency mode (pressure breathing) won't keep you conscious above 40,000 feet, but they'll do well enough to give you time to make an emergency descent.

Here's a pretty good read with pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about aviation supplemental oxygen use:
http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/PIC-archive/Pilot-and-Passenger-Physiology/Oxygen-Use-in-Aviation

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plus it'd make passengers nervous, wondering why this guy with emphysema is flying them to Tuscon.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention smoke/fumes in the cockpit

ETA: Senoj got it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top