Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 10:14:14 PM EDT
I don't know whether the information is complete or accurate but it does make for interesting reading.

In another thread about A-10's someone commented about a fairly large number of A-10's being lost so I looked it up. It made me think if that many were actually lost. how many took damage yet returned to base!

Comments?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_combat_losses_of_United_States_military_aircraft_since_the_Vietnam_War
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
A quick scan of that list and I see multiple destroyed aircraft I personally know of that are missing from Iraq and Afghanistan.  Also a few with incorrect causes cited.  

The army has so many aircraft that keeping track of crashes based only on media reports is difficult, doubly so during the height of Iraq and Afghanistan.  AF/Navy crashes are far fewer and often much more expensive, making keeping track of them based on news reports easier.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I know they are missing at least one harrier from gulf war one
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Vapor's...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The number of losses due to enemy fire vice due to other reasons is astounding.  We are our own worst enemy.  

Brownouts.

IIMC.

Hard landings.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The number of losses due to enemy fire vice due to other reasons is astounding.  We are our own worst enemy.  

Brownouts.

IIMC.

Hard landings.
View Quote

In WWII, more P-38s were lost to weather than enemy action.  For the F6F, I remember that nearly 1,300, over half that crashed, were lost in training or flying to the action.  Those numbers seem high, but they're astronomically better than what us older guys here remember.z
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Vapor's...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vapor's...

Yep
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprised at the actual number of helo's, especially the Apache's, shot down in Iraq
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A quick scan of that list and I see multiple destroyed aircraft I personally know of that are missing from Iraq and Afghanistan.  Also a few with incorrect causes cited.  

The army has so many aircraft that keeping track of crashes based only on media reports is difficult, doubly so during the height of Iraq and Afghanistan.  AF/Navy crashes are far fewer and often much more expensive, making keeping track of them based on news reports easier.
View Quote

Noticed the same. Even at least one where there was a total loss of life on board.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Brownouts.

IIMC.

Hard landings.
View Quote

Has always been the case. In WWII the loss rate was something absurd, like 5:1 mishap/accident to enemy fire. Obviously depended on the theater, aircraft, etc...but far more aircraft were lost due to crashes/malfunctions than hostile acts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.wwiifoundation.org/students/wwii-aircraft-facts/

These numbers are simply amazing!  I remember hearing an old WW2 vet telling me that when he went through pilot training they averaged something like a crash/fatality a week at his base.  What an amazing generation of aviators!  

Some of the ones that stood out.

They average 1,170 aircraft accidents per month—- nearly 40 a day.

Almost 1,000 Army planes disappeared en route from the US to foreign climes [SP?]

In a single 376 plane raid in August 1943, 60 B-17s were shot down. That was a 16 percent loss rate and meant 600 empty bunks in England

Some fighter pilots entered combat in 1942 with less than one hour in their assigned aircraft. (my note: a buddies grandfather had 8 hours in the B-17 before his first combat mission)

A high-time P-51 pilot had 30 hours in type. Many had fewer than five hours. Some had one hour.  (my note: some fighter pilots flew their first combat mission with less total time than I had before I even set foot in a AF fighter)

John D. Landers, a 21-year-old Texan, who was commissioned a second lieutenant on December 12, 1941. He joined his combat squadron with 209 hours total flight time, including 2� in P-40s. He finished the war as a full colonel, commanding an 8th Air Force Group — at age 24

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

In WWII, more P-38s were lost to weather than enemy action.  For the F6F, I remember that nearly 1,300, over half that crashed, were lost in training or flying to the action.  Those numbers seem high, but they're astronomically better than what us older guys here remember.z
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Brownouts.

IIMC.

Hard landings.

1/3 of bf 109s were lost taking off or landing bc of that narrow wheelbase.

the US lost more jets in 'nam due to operational losses than combat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top