Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2015 4:43:48 PM EDT
So this guy crashed in my neighborhood today, so one far one fatality. ETA: two dead.

http://www.kiiitv.com/story/29475005/emergency-crews-respond-to-reported-plane-crash-in-portland

PORTLAND (Kiii News) -
           2 people have died in a small plane crash that
happened in Portland this afternoon.  Emergency crews were called out to
the scene of the crash near the 300 block of Pebble Beach just after 2
o'clock.  The crash site is at the North Shore Country Club in Portland
just at the edge of the water.  Neighbors say the plane barely missed
homes before they heard a loud "boom."  Police say the victims were one
young man and one young woman. The woman was taken away on a stretcher,
but the man's body was still trapped inside the plane.

I saw the guy fly over my house less than a minute before the crash at about 100 feet.  I'll give more details when I get to a computer, but this was a pilot playing stupid games.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]

What was the stupid game?  Just low altitude or hotdogging?

NTSB website isn't loading.

-p.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think the NTSB is even on site yet.  

Yesterday I heard an airplane overhead and the engine sounded really odd, so I stepped outside and this same plane was doing really tight turns, enough that you could hear the engine sound change.  He made about two loops around my house and flew off.  He was low, maybe a couple of hundred feet.  But the turns were really sharp and very sloppy.  I mean the plane was plainly cross controlled.  It was bad enough I was trying to get his N-number.  I am about 3/4 miles from the crash site.

Today we were leaving my mother in laws house which is about a mile from the crash site.  The guy flies over and basically does a really sloppy wing over and disappears behind the trees.  He was low, really low, about 100 feet or so.  I remarked to my wife "That guy is an idiot and is going to kill himself."  A couple of minutes later he was on the ground.  

I guess a ton of people over town saw him flying low and doing aerobatics.  People saw the actual crash and said the plane "Suddenly went out of control and rolled over".  I am guessing they saw a stall/spin.  The crash is on the 16th hole of the local golf course and right behind someone's house.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Hasn't made the news yet, but people killed were friends of friends.

Passenger was 19 year old girl.  She was out for an airplane ride and they were supposed to fly over her birthday party.  Her parents watched the crash.  

The pilot was 28 and supossedly teaching the young lady to fly.  He has held a private ticket since 2009.  He was not an instructor.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Right before the crash her mom posted to Facebook "I'm so excited, my baby is flying!".  

I can't imagine.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Very sad.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Manslaughter, not that it matters. So sad.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Updated story with video.  Not sure why they haven't released the names yet.  

http://www.kiiitv.com/story/29475700/faa-to-investigate-fatal-crash-in-portland

Interesting thing is the airplane didn't have an N-number I could see.  I had actually pulled up flightradar app right after he flew over to see if he showed up.  

One of the posters in the Facebook news feed is saying this is the girl.

https://www.facebook.com/MsCatherineAnn  

Links to pilots facebook suggests he could be a gun guy.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009597393918&sk=photos
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Man that sucks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting thing is the airplane didn't have an N-number I could see.  I had actually pulled up flightradar app right after he flew over to see if he showed up.  

View Quote

A champ likely wouldn't show up on flight radar as they are rarely transponder equipped. Likely the N Number is written in size 12 font on the tail.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of her posted photos is in the front seat of the champ.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Uh, strange. We have a mutual friend on the facebook....

Poor souls.
View Quote
My wife has a number of mutual friends.   I am just...  One minute having fun....

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the little head was flying and had no idea what it was doing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I posted to Facebook and it turns out I have several friends that knew the guy.  They are all saying what a great pilot he was and are saying he had engine trouble and the crash was due to winds.  They confirm he was teaching her to fly.  They still haven't released the names.

Family is saying there was no romantic relationship.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Says that he worked at Hunt Airport.  

I know that operation.  We're friends on a Facebook group.  

I'll see what they say.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, I posted to Facebook and it turns out I have several friends that knew the guy.  They are all saying what a great pilot he was and are saying he had engine trouble and the crash was due to winds.  They confirm he was teaching her to fly.  They still haven't released the names.

View Quote

I guarantee he was trying to impress her.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, I posted to Facebook and it turns out I have several friends that knew the guy. They are all saying what a great pilot he was and are saying he had engine trouble and the crash was due to winds.  They confirm he was teaching her to fly.  They still haven't released the names.

View Quote

Dont they usually say that?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I posted to Facebook and it turns out I have several friends that knew the guy. They are all saying what a great pilot he was and are saying he had engine trouble and the crash was due to winds.  They confirm he was teaching her to fly.  They still haven't released the names.

True.  He has ties to the crop dusting community.  He was flying out of Hunt, which is mainly cropdusters.  It is a pretty rough airport.  

Family announced this morning they were dating.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Sad.  NTSB report database is full of reports similar to this one.  If I remember correctly there is a YouTube cockpit video of a couple guys screwing around at 100 AGL in a 150.  They ended up same as this Champ.  Unfortunately no matter how many warnings and cautionary tales you give to pilots you will always have somebody doing foolish things and ending up in the ground.  The really sad part is that these foolish pilots usually take others down with them.

An aircraft is not a toy and when you play games with aviation, you must remember that it plays for keeps.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What was the crash sequence?
View Quote

I don't think that has been established.  He was flying very low prior to crash and maneuvering abruptly.  Shortly there after witnesses saw the airplane "fall out of the sky".  I bet money on stall/spin incident.  

He was flying around a bluff that is about 35 feet at the highest, people reported seeing him out of their windows.  Dude was really low.  Someone else saw him last week flying under power lines.  

He is related to the Hunt family that runs a local airport.  At least two of them have been killed in power line incidents, one only a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sad.  NTSB report database is full of reports similar to this one.  If I remember correctly there is a YouTube cockpit video of a couple guys screwing around at 100 AGL in a 150.  They ended up same as this Champ.  Unfortunately no matter how many warnings and cautionary tales you give to pilots you will always have somebody doing foolish things and ending up in the ground.  The really sad part is that these foolish pilots usually take others down with them.

An aircraft is not a toy and when you play games with aviation, you must remember that it plays for keeps.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Under powerlines?

WTF.
View Quote

I've seen dusters do it from time to time. It's one of the few flying jobs that I have no interest at all in pursuing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Under powerlines?

WTF.
View Quote

There are old pilots

There are bold pilots

There are very few old, bold pilots.

Sad for the girl and her parents.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wait, was that a video of some dudes getting hung up and wires and crashing?

Sigh. The laughing right before the screams was rather interesting.....
View Quote

They stalled trying to go over them. Spun into the ground.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Under powerlines?

WTF.
View Quote

It can be done safely.

I did it at least ten times last week.  I don't generally work under power lines, but I will get under one to trim a field if I need to.

I mostly fly under them because it's safer than trying to climb over when it's hot, humid, and heavy....

I was thinking last night that low-level fly-by and crop duster turns should be part of the private curriculum.  People are gonna do it, might as well train 'em for it instead of having 'em try to figure it out at 100' AGL.

And remind people that it ALL LOOKS THE SAME FROM THE GROUND.

People can't tell if you're on the ragged edge of the envelope of flight, they can't tell if you cleared that tree by 10' or 30', they can't tell if you were in the yellow haulin' ass or just cruisin' in the green arc. 15 degrees pitch and 40 degrees bank at 4 or 500 feet looks like wild from the ground.  You don't have to go all out to impress the ones who don't know better, and going all out damn sure won't impress the ones who do....

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#34]
The sad part is after events like this we sit around saying "How in the hell could someone be so stupid?" Yet a bunch of us die every year doing stupid stuff.

This person literally had hundreds of people see his antics.  We are our own worst enemies when it comes to public perception.  

Flying under power lines is one thing.  No one ever said you cropduster guys are right in the head.    

But the flying I saw, on more than one occasion, was just piss-poor airmanship and sloppy flying.  I told my wife I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an unlicensed or drunk pilot.  

Old airshow skit, but I swear this is about what it looked like.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y54BnU73CQA
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I was mostly referring to "under powerlines" because it makes it sound like he flew his Champ under them.

You are a professional, and do this for a living.

View Quote

He did.  There were videos posted to facebook which have since been disappeared.  

When I was learning to fly I had a new instructor one day.  Crotchy old guy that was retired ATP and apparently had something like 30,000 hours.  I was working on my short/soft field technique and he asked me if I had actually ever done it.  I said sure, we have practiced it on the runway.  He said no, have you ever landed at a true short and soft field.  Obviously not, I was a 30 hour student.  At our training airport there is an "unofficial" runway in the field that some guys use.  It is about 1300 feet from fence to end.  

Basic procedure was "aim for the power lines, pull up and pull power before we hit them, then a little burst of power to soften the touchdown".  It was one of the most intimidating things I ever did as a student, but I gained a crap ton of insight into what a short field landing really was all about.  Crosswind no less.  Then we did the takeoff from the same field after taxi back.  They stopped letting him instruct shortly afterwards.  

Funny thing, checkride was another old salt.  He asked what the POH said about shortfield capabilities.  IIRC It is right at 975 feet.  Examiner asked if I could get down and stopped before the 1000 foot markers.  Indeed I could.  God bless a good headwind.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The sad part is after events like this we sit around saying "How in the hell could someone be so stupid?" Yet a bunch of us die every year doing stupid stuff.

This person literally had hundreds of people see his antics.  We are our own worst enemies when it comes to public perception.  

Flying under power lines is one thing.  No one ever said you cropduster guys are right in the head.    

But the flying I saw, on more than one occasion, was just piss-poor airmanship and sloppy flying.  I told my wife I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an unlicensed or drunk pilot.  

Old airshow skit, but I swear this is about what it looked like.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y54BnU73CQA
View Quote

I can tell you that it's rather difficult to fly a Champ cleanly and coordinated from the back seat with someone in the front unless you practice a lot.   It's very much a rudder airplane, and the tail will stay where you put it.  I bang around at low level all the time time, but I would never do it from the back seat, (and never with a passenger).  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was mostly referring to "under powerlines" because it makes it sound like he flew his Champ under them.

You are a professional, and do this for a living.

I live life 200AGL and below. Low level doesnt scare me at all, but I train to do it. Some people just get lucky until the spin into the ground.

Oh, samuse, do you scout out the powerlines on foot before you fly under them?
View Quote

Not on foot, but either from a truck, or I fly under wires that have been under before with the same planes.  

I'm a relatively low time pilot and not interested in seeing how small of a hole I can fit an Ag Cat through.  I don't go under anything tight.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I don't think that has been established.  He was flying very low prior to crash and maneuvering abruptly.  Shortly there after witnesses saw the airplane "fall out of the sky".  I bet money on stall/spin incident.  

He was flying around a bluff that is about 35 feet at the highest, people reported seeing him out of their windows.  Dude was really low.  Someone else saw him last week flying under power lines.  

He is related to the Hunt family that runs a local airport.  At least two of them have been killed in power line incidents, one only a few years ago.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What was the crash sequence?

my spidey senses think you may be correct.  sad situation no matter what

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Minor update, plane was owned by some dude in AZ.

http://www.kristv.com/story/29495107/plane-in-deadly-crash-not-owned-by-pilot

https://www.facebook.com/KRIS6News?nr  

Scroll down to the story and the family and friends are commenting about the pilot.  I'd be surprised if he wasn't a member here or friends of a member.  I have seen several places where family are saying he was a crop duster.  

Airman records show him to have a second class medical and private/instrument rated, not commercial.  I found the second class medical part odd, maybe was working on commercial ticket?

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I was always advised to get the highest class medical possible as it was easier to negotiate a class below if an issue arose.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Preliminary NTSB report.  

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20150704X65647&key=1

Nothing obvious wrong with the airplane.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top