Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2015 11:38:57 AM EDT

Completely awesome, yet I'd bet the FAA had big problems with it. Anyone know if he got in trouble?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Balked landing is required most all checkrides.  I don't see why they would get in trouble for that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Balked landing is required most all checkrides.  I don't see why they would get in trouble for that.
View Quote

Exceeding 250kt at low alt is a FAA no-no...

There is a P-51 that does high speed treetop passes over the place I work. First time he roared over, startled the crap outa me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, flying over crowds is frown upon.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
One must probe  he was doing over 250 and the pilot wasn't maneuvering to avoid a bird.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Looked like 249kts to me.

If I ever win the lotto...
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Its cool until someone or a lot of someones get killed from it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome but the pilot is a freakin idiot.

Vince
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Vince
View Quote
Yup. First video is cool, although as mentioned before, he may have been doing over 250 knots, which is a no-no. Flying over the crowds like that is moronic. It takes a lot of bodies to stop a speeding airplane if the nose drops...

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool flybys!  

The Corsairs are quiet.  The P51 on the other hand is a screamer, very loud compared to the Corsair.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yup. First video is cool, although as mentioned before, he may have been doing over 250 knots, which is a no-no. Flying over the crowds like that is moronic. It takes a lot of bodies to stop a speeding airplane if the nose drops...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

So back to my question, does anyone know if the pilot got into trouble?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
IMHO, that pilot deserves a revocation for that.  Just plain stupid, and dangerous.  There is no way you could sell that as a go around or balked landing practice, or maneuvering to avoid a bird.  I love a good fly by as much as the next guy, but doing that over the crowd is "careless or reckless" big time.

Even with a waiver, flying over the crowd is a no-no.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Good show, but little to no safety margin.  

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
View Quote

Nope, nope, and nope.
Two thumbs down for that pilot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool.  But that guy is a a jerkoff.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Stupid move on the pilots part. Wouldn't be the first time the feds took certificate action against a pilot based on video/photographic evidence. This is a particularly easy case. All anyone would have to do is call in an anonymous tip and the feds are required to investigate. I'm betting this guy gets cooked.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#16]
When I am training or checking pilots in warbirds I always make it a point to remind them not to do ANYTHING in one that they don't want the FAA to see because whatever they do will be on youtube before  they can get out of the airplane.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cool.  But that guy is a a jerkoff.
View Quote

"I'm going to violate several FARs and do it at a time and place where it will likely end up on Youtube" - idiot.

Either violate a FAR, or have your flying shown on YouTube but don't do the arfcom thing and do both.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Last two videos are private now. That may answer your question OP.

Don't see a problem with the first video though, myself.

And while we're at it...the most awesome Corsair video ever. This is how a warbird is supposed to be flown!

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#19]
At my house we get a lot of fly overs as it is under a common traffic pattern.  I heard something one day and was like "The hell?" and sure enough it was a Corsair.  Cool plane, certainly different sound.  

My wife's great uncle was killed in one shortly after the war, out show boating at low altitude.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome videos. Thanks for posting guys.

The guy in that first vid is going to be loved tenderly by the FAA.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't understand how people can be that stupid.  You are lucky enough to own a piece of history.  You have an obligation to history and the rest of us to not be a complete dumb ass with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top