Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2015 8:27:26 PM EDT
Looking for a low cost source for the DZUS stud (Southco D5) flare tool and support block for my flight simulator project.

Anybody point me in the right direction?

No Lathe....or I could make a pair in about 10 minutes.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:05:27 AM EDT
[#1]
you could try calling The Yard, i've gotten some handy surplus tools off them over the years for a good price.  

www.yardstore.com

probably have to call them, they have lots of odd things not on their website
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

you could try calling The Yard, i've gotten some handy surplus tools off them over the years for a good price.  

www.yardstore.com

View Quote

Will do. Quick perusal of their site reminded me I forgot to order clecos....though, I think I'll order off ebay - 100 clecos of various sizes with pliers for 80 bucks.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Will do. Quick perusal of their site reminded me I forgot to order clecos....though, I think I'll order off ebay - 100 clecos of various sizes with pliers for 80 bucks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thats high for clecos, button clecos should run 40-45 cents each and pliers less than ten bucks a pair.

At the yardstore, all the common sizes are .42 each that gets you 100 clecos for $42, and pliers are $5, so you are getting ripped off on e-bay for $80

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/2,427.html

Do your homework on aircraft tool prices before buying on ebay. I have seen people bidding ridiculously stupid high prices on cleco packages that could have gotten for much cheaper at places like yardstore, browntool etc.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
trade-a-plane usually has some adverts for this type stuff.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seconded, the yellow peril used to have all kinds of ads for surplus aviation tooling.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Seconded, the yellow peril used to have all kinds of ads for surplus aviation tooling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it.

Got a few odds and ends on the way, however I found a set of the surplus dzus installation tools on ebay for 9.95. Snagged it! Fits the studs on the few apache panels I have perfectly.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

www.yardstore.com

View Quote

This.  The Yard has been my go to for years now.  If you're ever in Wichita go to both stores, I've gotten some KILLER deals.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#8]
tagscribe
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Got a few odds and ends on the way, however I found a set of the surplus dzus installation tools on ebay for 9.95. Snagged it! Fits the studs on the few apache panels I have perfectly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you an up and coming sheet metal guy?     A good sheet metal guy is worth his weight in aluminum.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are you an up and coming sheet metal guy?     A good sheet metal guy is worth his weight in aluminum.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only the basics...and on a hobby level. More as supplementary to my 4 axis CNC mill I'm putting in the garage. Building a Huey flight sim. (Design is in progress)

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#11]
If its one thing I've learned about sheet metal work is take your time and do it right.  There are a few processes for just making one hole as straight as possible when doing sheet metal work the correct way.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If its one thing I've learned about sheet metal work is take your time and do it right.  There are a few processes for just making one hole as straight as possible when doing sheet metal work the correct way.
View Quote

Handmade boot cowl on a Comanche:

Before:

You can see the original wrinkled and creased piece laying over the engine.  Making a template out of a really messed up piece of sheet metal is a challenge.  This one turned out much better than I was expecting.  

After:

Matched the paint the best I could.  Metal flake/pearl is REALLY hard.  

I love sheet metal work.  I also did that left leading edge that is missing in the first pic.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thats high for clecos, button clecos should run 40-45 cents each and pliers less than ten bucks a pair.

At the yardstore, all the common sizes are .42 each that gets you 100 clecos for $42, and pliers are $5, so you are getting ripped off on e-bay for $80

Do your homework on aircraft tool prices before buying on ebay. I have seen people bidding ridiculously stupid high prices on cleco packages that could have gotten for much cheaper at places like yardstore, browntool etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.   The yard and brown tool also have deals on surplus tools.  Be sure to check there monthly deals.

As said before, beware with ebay.  Yeah, I've bought a few things of there,  but had my ass burned on an air drill.  The shaft and chuck wobbled badly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top