BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The FDX airplanes you see landing in MEM are heavy. It lakes some runway to get stopped. We need to clear the runway as quickly as we can because of the arrival rate, we're not coasting down the runway. There is also quite often a tailwind (up to 15kts) which will also use up a lot of runway.
My last landing in MEM was a 15kt tailwind, 500,000+ lbs landing wt, and ref around 148kts. You will use up some runway.
View Quote

Hah on the other side of that, I ferried an empty 777 from EWR to IAD the other day. Fuel at the departure gate was 29k.

Our Vref in IAD was 116kts.  We made the first turn off on 1R with ease..
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I assume that the bulk (90% plus) of the wear that expensive aircraft tires experience comes from the initial touchdown and not from putting "mileage" on them?

View Quote

The landings beat them up the most, yes. But brake wear is really the concern.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I assume that the bulk (90% plus) of the wear that expensive aircraft tires experience comes from the initial touchdown and not from putting "mileage" on them?

View Quote

A pair of tires for my Lear (2 per MLG) is about $2200. A set of brakes can be anywhere from 5-9k.

Break wear is the concern, as stated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Patriot, which version of the 777 is that? We never see lower than 136kts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Patriot, which version of the 777 is that? We never see lower than 136kts.
View Quote

It was an empty one...!  actually it was an old UAL lightweight bird.. original -200 model. That combined with no payload and not a lot of gas made for a light landing weight.

Normal speeds are usually 135-139ish.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hah on the other side of that, I ferried an empty 777 from EWR to IAD the other day. Fuel at the departure gate was 29k.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FDX airplanes you see landing in MEM are heavy. It lakes some runway to get stopped. We need to clear the runway as quickly as we can because of the arrival rate, we're not coasting down the runway. There is also quite often a tailwind (up to 15kts) which will also use up a lot of runway.
My last landing in MEM was a 15kt tailwind, 500,000+ lbs landing wt, and ref around 148kts. You will use up some runway.

29,000 lbs in a triple 7 would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 gallon in my truck.  Almost scary!

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

29,000 lbs in a triple 7 would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 gallon in my truck.  Almost scary!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's less than 1/10th of a tank for most of our planes.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Short trip or not, that's well below the "warm fuzzy fuel feeling".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top