Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2015 6:51:18 PM EDT
Sort of a strange title perhaps, I know...

Was on a Dash-8 the other day.  We landed on a 10,000" foot runway, obviously WAY more than the Dash needs.  I noticed that we landed pretty long, and after we landed, there was no reverse pitch and very little if any wheel braking, we pretty much slowed via aerodynamics and friction I guess and went almost all the way to the end of the runway.  After we turned off, I realized that this was ultimately where the pilot(s) wanted/needed to be based on where we ultimately taxied.  It definitely appeared to me, in retrospect, what we essentially used the landing roll as a form of taxi.

Is this generally a good idea?  It would seem to me that if you have way more runway than you need then sure, go real easy on the wheel brakes and maybe skip ONE turnoff, but still get off the active quickly and efficiently and make use of the taxiway.  

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
We called it the Short-Long in Alaska and used it to avoid a lengthy taxi.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not? The pilot was using good judgement and making the best of the situation...i.e. time, distance, fuel burn, schedule... etc.

I once worked for a small high-speed transport company in Dallas that did this type of thing as a matter of fact. It assured the survival of the company which is now is no longer small.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Was on a Dash-8 the other day.  We landed on a 10,000" foot runway, obviously WAY more than the Dash needs.  I noticed that we landed pretty long, and after we landed, there was no reverse pitch and very little if any wheel braking, we pretty much slowed via aerodynamics and friction I guess and went almost all the way to the end of the runway.  After we turned off, I realized that this was ultimately where the pilot(s) wanted/needed to be based on where we ultimately taxied.  It definitely appeared to me, in retrospect, what we essentially used the landing roll as a form of taxi.

Is this generally a good idea?  It would seem to me that if you have way more runway than you need then sure, go real easy on the wheel brakes and maybe skip ONE turnoff, but still get off the active quickly and efficiently and make use of the taxiway.  

Thoughts?

View Quote

Why use the brakes more than you need? Why spend all the time taxiing? As long as the tower is not urging you to clear the runway… I see it as a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
PTS says.....  

"For all landings, touch down at the aiming point markings -250' to +500' or where there are no runway aiming point markings, 750' to 1,500' from the approach
threshold of the runway."

And that's all I'm going to say about that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was flying Brasilia's, we would routinely ask for "long landings" if it wasn't busy and the turn off/parking gates were on the far end.
That way we could make a nice transition from landing speed to taxi speed with very little to no brakes and light reverse.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PTS says.....  

"For all landings, touch down at the aiming point markings -250' to +500' or where there are no runway aiming point markings, 750' to 1,500' from the approach

View Quote
The PTS is for testing and checking.  It does not consider daily modifications to facilitate extended life of brakes, engines, fuel savings, etc.

That is no excuse, however, to fly in an unsafe manner or exercise poor judgement.

Take the landing distance performance numbers for example.  Those are obtained by test pilots who touch down in a positively firm manner, no flare, and then apply MAXIMUM braking.  Imagine the reaction by passengers if that became the normal routine.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The PTS is for testing and checking.  It does not consider daily modifications to facilitate extended life of brakes, engines, fuel savings, etc.   That is no excuse, however, to fly in an unsafe manner or exercise poor judgement.

Take the landing distance performance numbers for example.  Those are obtained by test pilots who touch down in a positively firm manner, no flare, and then apply MAXIMUM braking.  Imagine the reaction by passengers if that became the normal routine.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PTS says.....  

The PTS is for testing and checking.  It does not consider daily modifications to facilitate extended life of brakes, engines, fuel savings, etc.   That is no excuse, however, to fly in an unsafe manner or exercise poor judgement.

Chicago Midway.  That's pretty much how it's done as normal routine there, for obvious reasons.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on how busy they are.  When there are a number of aircraft landing, tower wants you to exit quickly.  If I don't have to stand on the brakes, I don't.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depends on how busy they are.  When there are a number of aircraft landing, tower wants you to exit quickly.  If I don't have to stand on the brakes, I don't.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
We use to land the dash-8 on 33r in Kbos all the time with passengers. I think the runway is about 2600 feet long. It's been
awhile but I think we also had a 20 knot tail wind limit. The tower would ask us for a braking action report sometimes
and the answer usually was didn't have to use them.lol
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#11]
In the corporate world we do it to shorten taxi and save life on brakes....brakes are expensive!   we just changed the left brakes as one developed a problem ===$50,000 just for parts
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
PTS says.....  

View Quote

Interesting.  Do you read the PTS as if it were the final say on subjects like this?

Landing 750'-1500' from the approach threshold of some of the runways I operate out of would probably mean I'd roll off the far end into the trees.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I buy brakes so I don't use them if I don't have to.

I treat the company airplanes as if I buy the brakes for them, too.

The pilots that stand on the brakes are the ones that speed up to red lights as well, in my company at least.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
PTS is test bible. The real world doesn't always obey the good book.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  I am incapable of differentiating between the PTS and the real world.

The point of the FAA putting that in the PTS is because the FAA was concerned about runway excursions.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
A lot of people have covered the brake cost, but there's another point - reverse thrust tends to kick up debris on the runway, which can then potentially FOD your engine.

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Never use more reverse thrust or brake than you need.

In a Dash-8, on a 10,000' runway... that's basically none.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The point of the FAA putting that in the PTS is because the FAA was concerned about runway excursions.
View Quote

An excursion is a trip by a group of people, usually made for leisure, education, or physical purposes. It is often an adjunct to a longer journey or visit to a place, ..
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

An excursion is a trip by a group of people, usually made for leisure, education, or physical purposes. It is often an adjunct to a longer journey or visit to a place, ..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hay man, I'm just using the industry term.
http://runwayexcursions.faa.gov/content.html?id=f
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#20]
What counts is zero airspeed at the right gate...on time, if not early and with extra gas that you didn't burn by configuring too early and using too much reverse and having to taxi a long way to get to the gate
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#21]
"The runway behind you is of no value."
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
A wise man once told me many years ago.  When you are thinking about doing anything non standard, start at the hearing, and work back to right now.  Rolling out long probably won't cause you any problems, unless you can't get stopped for some reason, and you don't figure it out till it's too late.

As far as landing long, if your ops supports it, and you are comfortable articulating why you left all that runway behind you at the hearing, go for it.  At our place we have to touchdown in the first 1/3 of the runway, but no more than 3000' down.  14,000' Runway, if we are not on the ground in the first 3000' we have to go around.  And by all means, be sure to ask the tower if it's ok to "land long", so it's on tape.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In the corporate world we do it to shorten taxi and save life on brakes....brakes are expensive!   we just changed the left brakes as one developed a problem ===$50,000 just for parts
View Quote

Yep. A good action, as you get to your area faster and less wear on equipment.

There is an opposite action in commercial. The pilots want to hit the gate, so you may find heavy braking to make a taxiway closer to their gate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A wise man once told me many years ago.  When you are thinking about doing anything non standard, start at the hearing, and work back to right now.  Rolling out long probably won't cause you any problems, unless you can't get stopped for some reason, and you don't figure it out till it's too late.

As far as landing long, if your ops supports it, and you are comfortable articulating why you left all that runway behind you at the hearing, go for it.  At our place we have to touchdown in the first 1/3 of the runway, but no more than 3000' down.  14,000' Runway, if we are not on the ground in the first 3000' we have to go around.  And by all means, be sure to ask the tower if it's ok to "land long", so it's on tape.
View Quote

I've seen the FAA do it in Juneau, it was even taught in the company 135 ground school.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There is an opposite action in commercial. The pilots want to hit the gate, so you may find heavy braking to make a taxiway closer to their gate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the old days the pilots wanted to 'hit" the stews as well as the gate. Today you never know who wants to "hit" whom with all the tolerance and transgenderification.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#26]
^ There seems to be an increase in that among flight attendants.

When landing at PBI and going to Jet in my Mooney, if I'm given 10R, I request, and am usually granted, 10L. I will usually stay in slow ground effect until my preferred taxiway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm my172, yeah I'll land long to cut down on the taxi.

For work, nope, I've got to get in on in the touchdown zone.  I'll use less brakes/reverse and let it roll if there's a lot of runway, and the exit is a long ways away though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
PTS says.....  

View Quote

I can land my 7ECA is less than 1K safely with no issue. So, why land at the end of the runway, when my turn off is 3K feet away? I can taxi at 5-10MPH, or I can fly 70MPH. If you were waiting to take off or land, would you prefer I taxi 4K feet, or land at say 2K feet down the runway and pull off in over half the time?

Now my Pitts, I can land it in less than 1500 feet…. But I don't. I put it on the numbers and taxi. And yes, I have had people get mad at me for not clearing the runway as fast as they like… I just don't care.

So if it is easy to do, no danger, I see no issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Up in PANC if the traffic situation allows and we get approved for a long landing on 7R . I'll touch down and pop the spoilers and coast the 6000 ft to our turnoff to Millionaire. Won't touch the brakes until the it's time to turn on to the taxiway. same with KBFI if we are landing to the North, just coast to the end.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#30]
At MEM, you can see the FedEx planes long landing when they're coming in on the 36's for the overnight push. I'm sure they're doing it to get to the parking stands at the hub quicker, but I expect to see one overrun the runway cutting it too close one day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I fly as long as I can.  I have to dodge mud holes, pot holes, cows, and all other manner of bullshit on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm going through airforce flight school  now. In the t6 we would land on the numbers bc we were being graded to do so but then we would take off again fly in ground effect then land and taxi off At the end of the runway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#33]
The FDX airplanes you see landing in MEM are heavy. It lakes some runway to get stopped. We need to clear the runway as quickly as we can because of the arrival rate, we're not coasting down the runway. There is also quite often a tailwind (up to 15kts) which will also use up a lot of runway.
My last landing in MEM was a 15kt tailwind, 500,000+ lbs landing wt, and ref around 148kts. You will use up some runway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Ha ha. Our pilots sometimes make a ninety right over the runway a third the way down, float another third, then ride a wheelie after touchdown to the end where taxiway is. Downwind.

Twin Otter, Dash 8's baby brother.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry, but has anyone talked about the three most useless things to a pilot yet:

-- Altitude above you

-- runway behind you

-- fuel you left back in the truck

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The FDX airplanes you see landing in MEM are heavy. It lakes some runway to get stopped. We need to clear the runway as quickly as we can because of the arrival rate, we're not coasting down the runway. There is also quite often a tailwind (up to 15kts) which will also use up a lot of runway.
My last landing in MEM was a 15kt tailwind, 500,000+ lbs landing wt, and ref around 148kts. You will use up some runway.
View Quote

What is the max tailwind component for that aircraft?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
And what type of aircraft is landing 500k+?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#38]
B777F, and they just upped the max tailwind to 15 from 10. Don't want to turn the airport around for just a couple of knots- that would increase taxi time, fuel burn, and reduce available sort time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#39]
You land long at BUR and end up at the gas station. So it makes sense!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And what type of aircraft is landing 500k+?
View Quote

A big ole sumbich
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#42]
As others have said, not uncommon. Whether or not it's smart can be based on several factors, the largest frequently being traffic volume.

I've done it frequently while flying a King Air off of 2 mile long runways and, similarly, have both asked to land long and have been asked by tower if I can accept a long landing. Still, even though it saves time and money (one and the same in aviation) and I've done it regularly, I have somewhat of an aversion to the idea of spending more time than is necessary on an active runway. This is probably borne from operating under single-runway ops in a combat environment frequently, and having seen (and held for) runway closers due to aircraft mishaps or malfunctions on the runway. The consideration extends to civilian flying too...if you're rolling out and blow a tire or the cabin starts filling with smoke, better to shut down a taxiway than the only runway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ha ha. Our pilots sometimes make a ninety right over the runway a third the way down, float another third, then ride a wheelie after touchdown to the end where taxiway is. Downwind.

Twin Otter, Dash 8's baby brother.
View Quote

The STOL game is completely different.

Nothing like having the front wheel lift off the ground last. Learned that one the hard way, with a crosswind.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sorry, but has anyone talked about the three most useless things to a pilot yet:

-- Altitude above you

-- runway behind you

-- fuel you left back in the truck

View Quote

All of aviation is a calculated risk. If you're going to fly by colloquialisms I doubt you reach commercial mins anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

View Quote
ATC has the habit of asking you to speed up, pushing you to the Final Approach Fix, and then asking you to exit the first taxiway. I have had controllers tell me if I miss the first exit the guy behind me will have to go around. Every landing you try for uniformity, but every landing is different. That runway spot on the windshield stays the same on your descent but with the float of ground effect and the flare you may land much farther down
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think anyone has advocated landing a high performance jet on the last two thousand feet of runway but a 4000' taxi is far better than a 9000' taxi any day.  If the conditions, spacing, aircraft, and pilot can do it then I see no reason to be afraid of it. If any of those aren't met then I'll just pop my TRs after touchdown and roll to the end without braking.

I've never turned down a short long or LAHSO when the conditions allowed and don't consider either of them to be reckless.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I assume that the bulk (90% plus) of the wear that expensive aircraft tires experience comes from the initial touchdown and not from putting "mileage" on them?

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.starfiretor.com/FEP/pix/SouthwestAirlinesFlt1455_CrashScene.jpg

I thought that accident happened at Midway?  Killed a child  if I remember correctly...

edit: OK, that was Burbank, but there was also one at Midway.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top