Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2015 11:00:17 AM EDT
My Dad and I spent 10 years building this Lancair 4P. We started in 1999, We took a year off to build our hanger out at Front Range Airport KFTG.

It was Dad's dream to finish this beautiful aircraft and the happiest moment of my life was the first time we went up together in 2011.

My father passed away just over a year after we finished and only 6 months after his retirement from the Denver Fire Department.

The anniversary of his passing was a week ago and my sisters and I have finally made the decision to sell Dad's plane.  

It breaks my heart to know I will never get the chance to fly her to Oshkosh where I wanted to spread Dad's ashes.

I wish I was at a different place in my life to where I could afford to fly her and enjoy her the way I did when Dad was alive.

If anyone still has the opportunity to enjoy flying with their parents I would hope you go at every chance you get.

I never would have guessed that the last time I flew with Dad would be the LAST time.

I miss you Dad.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1444960_For_post_556_I_thought_i_would_share_a_memory.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a gorgeous aircraft if you can hold onto it I would. For sure you will come to regret selling it. My dad had a 67 Chevelle SS396 that he bought new in 67. After going through 3 kids driving it and numerous wrecks 30 years later he was getting rid of it. One of the worse decisions I ever made was not taking the Chevelle and restoring it. It was eventually bought and restored by a local and I still see it once in a while and it hurts.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a gorgeous aircraft if you can hold onto it I would. For sure you will come to regret selling it. My dad had a 67 Chevelle SS396 that he bought new in 67. After going through 3 kids driving it and numerous wrecks 30 years later he was getting rid of it. One of the worse decisions I ever made was not taking the Chevelle and restoring it. It was eventually bought and restored by a local and I still see it once in a while and it hurts.

Vince
View Quote

It is a plane that needs to be flown and unfortunately I am just not at a place in my life that I can afford it. The other problem is that it was left to me and my 3 sisters so they have a say in it as well. They have never been into flying like my Dad and I where.

I know it means a lot to them too it's just different for me. They want to take the money from the sale and buy something that reminds them of Dad and I wan the plane because to me that IS my Dad. Believe me though, I know what you are saying.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope it can remain in the family.  I can't predict where mine will end up but wonder often.

I spread some ashes last year at OSH. It must happen all the time...
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not sell that plane.

Find a local CFI or MX shop willing to come exercise it once a month.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That thing looks fun.  Where is it based?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't get the chance to fly with
my dad before he passed. He
gave me the gift of flight with a
pilot friend of his when I was
6. I never forgot it & at 51, I
have finally made it. I built
a Just Aircraft Highlander
and flew if for the first time
last fall & flew it to my home
airport, 12-31. My son's first
ride was in a Robinson, when
he was 6, and some fixed
wing since then with a good
friend of mine. I'm still in
phase one, but I told him
I would start teaching him to
fly when I get my 40 hours
in.

Share the gift of flight any time
you can.

God Speed.

John

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do not sell that plane.

View Quote

This.
Struggling CFIs will trip over themselves to 1) get free hours 2) get to fly that plane

You need the plane to be flown, CFIs need to build time. Win win
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.
Struggling CFIs will trip over themselves to 1) get free hours 2) get to fly that plane
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do not sell that plane.

This.

It is the last thing I want to do but unfortunately like I said, The decision is not just mine.

I know people would love to fly it and I go up with a guy at the airport that helped us wire the panel every chance I get.

When I sit down and think about it logically I realize that my Dad spend 20 years getting himself financially prepared for this aircraft and I know that I am not there.

Maintenance, Fuel, Insurance, Fuel. She is a very thirsty rocket ship. I hope we find a good buyer who understands what went into the build and how much she means to me.

If I could fine a local buyer that would be great. If I ever get the chance to buy her back later in life I will. I know the chances are slim.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Could you just sell some partnerships in it?  Maybe a couple of 25% shares and keep 50% for your family?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Could you just sell some partnerships in it?  Maybe a couple of 25% shares and keep 50% for your family?
View Quote

Definitely being considered. Just a matter of finding people in the right place.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If I could fine a local buyer that would be great. If I ever get the chance to buy her back later in life I will. I know the chances are slim.
View Quote

It happens more often than you think. Keep your chin up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]
It may sound farfetched at first but there is a way. Not for everyone. I'm with the Texas air museum Caprock chapter. We have 3 flying aircraft that were donated on permanent loan , mostly by elderly pilots who know they will never get they're medical back. The aircraft remain In our care, receiving annual maintenance and flown and insured by us. In some instances a contract stating that it will not be sold for x ammount of years with donar buyback option is drafted. The incentive comes in the form of a tax exemption for such a large donation. I am only a member and the senior member of course Handle these deals. I could try to find info if wanted. I'm not sure of the value of your particular aircraft. But let's just say 180k since its a flying lancair. Not a bad tax cut between 3 people. And your aircraft could potentially stay local where you could show your children and even fly it . Food for thought. I understand your connection with this hot rod bird. I managed an avionics shop for years down here and have been a museum member since 2007. My wife and I were married at the museum, with my father's Stinson reliant in the background.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, that thing looks fast just sitting there. Do you know what the 75% cruise speed is?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damn, that thing looks fast just sitting there. Do you know what the 75% cruise speed is?
View Quote
I think the cruise speed on the 4p is around 220kts @ FL 240.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, hot rod little bird. The one I flew rotated at about 80 and came across the numbers at 120, pretty sweet. A buddy of mine has the turbine lancair. 350 miles an hour. Monster homebuilts those lance air's , your father had excellent taste.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a bad ass engine built by a company called performance engines in California. At altitude running lean of peak (18.1GPH / 32.5inHg) we get right at 240kts.

Fastest ground speed i ever saw was just under 400mph with a hell of a tailwind up around FL 220 on the way back from Salt Lake City.

She can be rather slippery. Really gota watch your speed when on approach, speed brakes area a life saver. We come over the numbers right around 110kts.

Landing took me a while to get used to, things happen really fast at speeds like that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I noticed in some of the pics that you posted the interior was not finished, is that still the case?

Vince
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I noticed in some of the pics that you posted the interior was not finished, is that still the case?

Vince
View Quote

Yes, We upholstered the front seats but that was it. Right around the time Dad passed it was supposed to be headed to the upholstery shop to get an interior.

For now we have decided to leave it raw just because a buyer may not like what we like for the interior.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do not sell that plane.

View Quote

Find a way to lease it and generate some income from it.  If that can't pay for maintenance costs in a year then re-assess
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, We upholstered the front seats but that was it. Right around the time Dad passed it was supposed to be headed to the upholstery shop to get an interior.

For now we have decided to leave it raw just because a buyer may not like what we like for the interior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

Where is it listed for sale?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Listing is not active yet.will be going up on trade a plane and barnstormers in about a week.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Huge mistake to sell that plane. I don't care what your "family" says, they don't appreciate what they have there. You will regret this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Huge mistake to sell that plane. I don't care what your "family" says, they don't appreciate what they have there. You will regret this.
View Quote

You act like he has a choice when there are other owners.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever it takes, either buy out the other family members, lease/rent it out to other pilots or a school, or refuse to sign off on a sale (assuming all family members would be required to agree on the sale). He will never get another chance to own the plane he helped his dad build. This is a once in a lifetime situation and all options need to be considered.

Even if he lets it sit for a decade, he will still have it available to refurb and get into flying condition at some point in the future. Once it is sold he will regret it at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Whatever it takes, either buy out the other family members, lease/rent it out to other pilots or a school, or refuse to sign off on a sale (assuming all family members would be required to agree on the sale). He will never get another chance to own the plane he helped his dad build. This is a once in a lifetime situation and all options need to be considered.

Even if he lets it sit for a decade, he will still have it available to refurb and get into flying condition at some point in the future. Once it is sold he will regret it at some point in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am working on a possible option. I am talking with two gentlemen at the airport that may be interested in a partnership.

It is true that I am only 25% of this disicion but I will do whatever I can.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am working on a possible option. I am talking with two gentlemen at the airport that may be interested in a partnership.

View Quote

Excellent, please keep us updated.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#27]
really nice plane and I hope you can figure out a way to keep it. I think the partnership option makes total sense on a plane like that. There are probably lots of business pilots or well off pilots that are looking for a faster ride that would jump on a reasonable partnership. Just make sure you get help and write up a detailed agreement. I have a buddy who does this with his 182 and it has worked out very well for him for about 10 years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top