Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2015 7:13:09 AM EDT
Spotted this in GD: http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/airbus-a320-crashes-in-southern-france-reports-749195?site=full

Estimated 142-150 people were onboard. Operated by GermanWings, a low-cost regional.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I just saw that, looks like they had a rapid decompression event.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately there's so much one can cut in costs when operating a corporation, let alone some like airlines.  Sorry for the victims.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Hasn't there been several uncommanded autopilot hardovers in airbus aircraft recently.  Ones that require circuit breaker pulling to stop?  
RIP to the pax
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, weather clear and calm, mayday call was made with a rapid decent requested.  It does sound like a rapid depressurization, but the question is why.  Two KM is a pretty big debris field too, it's way to early to speculate, but this one could end up being a bomb IMO.    
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know that Germanwings being an LCC necessarily indicates some sort of deficiency in technical or pilot proficiency.  It's a Lufthansa operation.  Of course, that said, who'd have thought an experienced Air France crew could lose an A330 over the Atlantic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know that Germanwings being an LCC necessarily indicates some sort of deficiency in technical or pilot proficiency.  It's a Lufthansa operation.  Of course, that said, who'd have thought an experienced Air France crew could lose an A330 over the Atlantic.
View Quote

The AF incident was at night in weather. Lufthansa has one of the most challenging testing and hiring processes that I've ever seen -- granted, I don't know how relevant some of their tests are to the flying skills of the pilots, but they're certainly tough. They include a bunch of items that look like the standard IQ tests that we would take back in school. I'm guessing that our domestic airlines don't use them because there's concern that such tests may be racist.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Article says the aircraft was 24 years old. That's pretty old for a mainline (Lufthansa) aircraft isn't it.?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The AF incident was at night in weather. Lufthansa has one of the most challenging testing and hiring processes that I've ever seen -- granted, I don't know how relevant some of their tests are to the flying skills of the pilots, but they're certainly tough. They include a bunch of items that look like the standard IQ tests that we would take back in school. I'm guessing that our domestic airlines don't use them because there's concern that such tests may be racist.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For now, the U.S. pilot hiring continues to track with experience, while the Euro one is credential based, by and large
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow, weather clear and calm, mayday call was made with a rapid decent requested.  It does sound like a rapid depressurization, but the question is why.  Two KM is a pretty big debris field too, it's way to early to speculate, but this one could end up being a bomb IMO.    
View Quote

Did this happen during daylight hours or nighttime hours?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The article says that the Mayday was declared at 10:47 am local time.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]
CNN reporting no distress call made from plane.  

- 10:30 a.m.: Air traffic controllers sent out a distress signal after controllers became concerned at the loss of radio contact with the doomed Germanwings plane and the speed of the plane's descent, a spokesperson for the French civil aviation authority said.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Article says the aircraft was 24 years old. That's pretty old for a mainline (Lufthansa) aircraft isn't it.?
View Quote

It wasn't Lufthansa flight. It was Germanwings which is Lufthansa's low cost carrier.

The plane was bought by Lufthansa in 91 I believe and eventually sent to its current operator Germanwings (where Lufthansa sends its older air frames).

I read that the captain had 10 years and over 6,000 hours.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hasn't there been several uncommanded autopilot hardovers in airbus aircraft recently.  Ones that require circuit breaker pulling to stop?  

View Quote

Seem to remember reading something about the fly-by-wire code's stall-protection reacting to clogged AoA sensors as if the plane had stalled, resulting in an uncommanded nose-down...

'Fix' was to pull circuit breakers on one of the fly-by-wire computers & force the plane into some sort of alternate/manual mode...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Damn. . .

Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out of Cockpit Before Crash in France
by Nicola Clark and Dan Bilefsky

New York Times

25-March-2015

PARIS — As officials struggled Wednesday to explain why a jet with 150 people on board crashed in relatively clear skies, an investigator said evidence from a cockpit voice recorder indicated one pilot left the cockpit before the plane’s descent and was unable to get back in.

A senior military official involved in the investigation described "very smooth, very cool” conversation between the pilots during the early part of the flight from Barcelona to Düsseldorf. Then the audio indicated that one of the pilots left the cockpit and could not re-enter.

"The guy outside is knocking lightly on the door and there is no answer,” the investigator said. "And then he hits the door stronger and no answer. There is never an answer.”

He said, "You can hear he is trying to smash the door down.”

While the audio seemed to give some insight into the circumstances leading up to the Germanwings crash, it also left many questions unanswered.

*** REST OF THE STORY LINKED AT TITLE ***

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was due to pitot tubes (air pressure/speed sensors) with a defective heater that Airbus knew about and advised Air France who chose to defer maintenance.

The official report after the 'official investigation' of course blamed the pilots for not responding 'properly' to failed sensors.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unfortunately there's so much one can cut in costs when operating a corporation, let alone some like airlines.  Sorry for the victims.  

View Quote

So, I was wrong about the maintenance being a cause, even though not sure it might have been better.   Reason is this was not the first incident of this type (one of the crewmembers crash the plane).   Unfortunately it may not be the last.

What will this do to the trust that must exist between pilot and co-pilot?   Or even between them and the passenger cabin's crew?

And how about the way airlines assess the crew's flight readiness?

And the passengers' trust on the crew?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top